RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Anyone Want to Play Fantasy Olympics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/07/08 3:31 pm    ::: Anyone Want to Play Fantasy Olympics? Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm a bit of a fantasy junkie lately, but I saw this on ESPN and it sounded quite interesting.

Quote:
• Pick three athletes from track and field (including the marathon), with at least one athlete from the field events.
• Pick two swimmers/divers.
• Pick one gymnast.
• Pick three athletes from all the other sports, though you can pick only one athlete from each discipline.
• Pick one team from men's or women's basketball, men's or women's volleyball, men's or women's soccer, baseball, softball or team handball.
• You must have at least two non-American athletes on your team.

Quote:
Scoring: Every individual gold medal is worth five points. Every silver medal is worth three points. Every bronze is worth one point. Every team gold medal is worth 10 points, every team silver is worth five points and every team bronze is worth two points.
Note: For our purposes, any pairs event, such as beach volleyball or synchronized swimming, is considered an individual competition with only a single medal counted. But if you have multiple athletes on a relay team, count each medal. Also, a gymnast's medal in the team competition counts as an individual medal.
Bonus points: If your athlete winds up on the Wheaties box, you receive 10 points. If your athlete makes the cover of Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek or ESPN The Magazine before the Olympic torch is extinguished, you get five extra points. If your athlete is a flag bearer in the closing ceremonies, you get two points. If your athlete makes a public protest about Tibet or Darfur, you get one point. Oh, and be very careful with your picks -- every athlete busted for doping will cost you five points.

Let's set a draft for 8:00 PM EST Friday. If everyone who wants to be involved can be online at about the same time we could maybe get the draft done in an hour or so. (We can reset the time if need be.) I was thinking that if everyone had AIM or another instant messaging service, we could just all do it there instead of taking up forum space.

Who's in?

1. UTexRulz23
2. braveniler58
3. bludev03
4. five_to_the_third
5. mercfan3

Last edited by UTexRulz23 on 08/07/08 11:32 pm; edited 6 times in total
braveniler58

PostPosted: 08/07/08 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*shrugs* why not. This will require some extensive researching though.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
*shrugs* why not. This will require some extensive researching though.

We could eliminate the boxer and the wrestler/weightlifting rule. That might help.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure. I'll do it!

five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awesome idea. will join if i can, tomorrow PM is going to be crazy.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah..this is a great idea, I'll join this too..haha..

PostPosted: 08/08/08 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a dumbass, I admit. But reexplain the rules for the team relay medals, as I am not reading/understanding it clearly:

1. If a team, with four members, gets gold, will that be 20 points (4 x 5 points) or 10 points (every team gold medal is worth 10 points) or 30 points (20 + 10)?

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/08/08 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bludev03 wrote:
Okay, I'm a dumbass, I admit. But reexplain the rules for the team relay medals, as I am not reading/understanding it clearly:

1. If a team, with four members, gets gold, will that be 20 points (4 x 5 points) or 10 points (every team gold medal is worth 10 points) or 30 points (20 + 10)?

Well, you won't be picking a "relay team" at all. The only team sports you will pick from are "men's or women's basketball, men's or women's volleyball, men's or women's soccer, baseball, softball or team handball". For track and field you select athletes. If that individual gets a gold on his own and a gold medal on a relay, you get 10 points (five for each gold medal that athlete won).

PostPosted: 08/08/08 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, so how is this draft going to work...like, are we picking the athletes all at once? Can more than one person have the same athlete? Like, are we doing it in rounds..

PostPosted: 08/08/08 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does "all the other sports" mean sports other than track & field, swimmers/divers, gymnastics?

five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 08/08/08 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While we're asking picky questions, it says

Quote:
a gymnast's medal in the team competition counts as an individual medal.

Is that also true for other sports where both individuals and teams get medals, like archery and fencing?

bludev03

PostPosted: 08/08/08 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rules are poorly worded imho. Very confusing.... Question Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: