RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is it medal worthy: softball
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:20 pm    ::: Re: softball Reply Reply with quote

It was wrong for the IOC to lump softball and baseball together.

IIRC, baseball has the MLB as its major professional league, not the NPF. Softball players bascially have one dream: playing the Olympics, and the Olympics in general. The NPF pales in comparison in terms of fan support and revenue.

Just because baseball doesn't care about the Olympics doesn't mean the softball world doesn't, either. So it's pretty shitty that they were treated in the same manner by the IOC.

Last edited by bballequalslife on 08/06/08 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Cat Osterman said it best concerning America's dominance as a reason why softball was dropped:

"If we get penalized for our excellence, there's something wrong with the Olympic games."

norwester

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it would be cool if they added rugby and cricket.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Especially rugby. Very Happy Rugby's cool.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/08 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, there's no chance it'll be in the 2012 games, but we can always hope that it's back for the 2016 games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
eclair

PostPosted: 08/06/08 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the problem: softball is a great sport. But so is fencing. And so is team handball. And so is rugby (moreso when my niece plays than when my son does *covers eyes*). And what about netball?

Just because we don't really understand rhythmic gymnastics in the US, doesn't mean it's got a poor following in the world.

Softball--I love it. We've got two family friends who are earning their way through college on the 60' basepaths--one whose arm was broken during a Team USA exhibition match by a Jennie Finch fastball!

It's my understanding that if not for Atlanta, there would be no baseball/softball in the OG. There are so many sports deserving of a spot, and only limited space. How do you ever choose?

PostPosted: 08/07/08 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
Here's the problem: softball is a great sport. But so is fencing. And so is team handball. And so is rugby (moreso when my niece plays than when my son does *covers eyes*). And what about netball?

Just because we don't really understand rhythmic gymnastics in the US, doesn't mean it's got a poor following in the world.

Softball--I love it. We've got two family friends who are earning their way through college on the 60' basepaths--one whose arm was broken during a Team USA exhibition match by a Jennie Finch fastball!

It's my understanding that if not for Atlanta, there would be no baseball/softball in the OG. There are so many sports deserving of a spot, and only limited space. How do you ever choose?

There are soo many more softball teams/prgrams for little girls though to get started in, than handball or fencing Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: