RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN compares mens and womens Olympic b ball players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:12 am    ::: ESPN compares mens and womens Olympic b ball players Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3529972

Quote:
The Not-So-Silent Assassins: Diana Taurasi & Kobe Bryant
Both came into their respective leagues with a lot of hype and even more confidence. They each have a killer instinct and have the skill to back up all the talk.

The Sixth Men: Cappie Pondexter & Dwayne Wade
These pure guards average more than 22 points per for their respective WNBA and NBA teams. For Team USA, both will be coming off the bench to do their damage.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New Kids: Seimone Augustus & Chris Paul
Both are making their first Olympic appearance. They are also the go-to player on their respective teams back in the states, Augustus leads her team in points and is second in assists. Paul, second to Bryant in MVP voting last season, led the league in assists and his team points.

I like how they compared a man I wanna be with to a female a wanna be with! Razz

"Legends have the privilege of being ageless"- Sia (movie)
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/13/08 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Prince/Thompson comparison has me scratching my head. Thompson brings way more to both Team USA and the Comets than Prince does to his U.S. team and the Pistons.

And a Fowles/Howard comparison (low-post players, great rebounders, can't shoot FTs Laughing ), along with Lawson/Bosh comparison (intangibles, scrappiness) would be more accurate.

jaye

PostPosted: 08/13/08 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanof33 wrote:

I like how they compared a man I wanna be with to a female a wanna be with! Razz

you mean you want to purposely punch someone in the nuts during a game?? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/13/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Cappie/D. Wade comparison is dead on, especially since both can get to the rim off the dribble seemingly at will. Don't know about the rest too much though. I don't see the Fowles/Bosh comparison. And to me, Parker's been more like Kobe so far than Lebron. Kobe's been kind of laid back for the most part, filling in where he needs to. So far on the men's side Lebron and D. Wade have shouldered the majority of the scoring load. Although, I didn't watch the Angola game.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with all of them ...

mmaniac

PostPosted: 08/13/08 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty good. The interesting thing for me is how they look for certain types of players. Looks like the men have used some of the philosophy that USA basketball employed after the women lost in Barcelona.
Carefully crafting the 96 team and the whole tour and training together and getting committed players. It will be interesting to see how the model changes with more players going overseas and the narrowing of the gap in talent. We are definitely more talented, but at times still don't have that inate awareness of where everyone is on the court. While the Aussies, have the court awareness, but not as much talent from top to bottom.

fanof33

PostPosted: 08/13/08 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
fanof33 wrote:

you mean you want to purposely punch someone in the nuts during a game?? Laughing

In which league??? Very Happy

"Legends have the privilege of being ageless"- Sia (movie)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: