RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

special NBC channels for Olympic basketball / soccer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overandback

PostPosted: 08/01/08 3:21 pm    ::: special NBC channels for Olympic basketball / soccer Reply Reply with quote

I have read in several places, including NBC's Olympics website, that they are making two "specialty channels" available for basketball and soccer coverage during the Games. I have been trying to determine whether I will get these channels, or if I can order them somehow, from my wonderful and friendly local cable provider, Time Warner New York / New Jersey.

I have just spent a solid hour on their website and on the phone with them, and they do not seem to know the answer. Not "no, we're not going to carry them", but "I do not have any information that answers your question". Does anyone here happen to know if NYC will be able to get them?

Alternatively, can anyone with a marginally competent cable provider tell me how they appear in the channel lineup? The NBC website shows them as "NBC Olympic Basketball Channel" and "NBC Olympic Soccer Channel" but I don't know if that's how the cable companies name them too.

DetBookie

PostPosted: 08/01/08 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I am wondering the same thing for the metro Detroit area. Comcast, as usual, doesn't seem to have a clue.

Good luck. I'm sure someone on the board will have an answer. Maybe for both of us. Very Happy

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 08/01/08 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe it was mentioned (on here) that the channels will be up and running on August 8th on all the major Cable Companies..

PostPosted: 08/01/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey DetBookie is the CBC going to be broadcasting the Olympics? They have great coverage and we're lucky to be able to get it here in metro-Detroit.

smenko

PostPosted: 08/01/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK I just checked out CBC and they're broadcasting the opening ceremony beginning at 7 am next Friday.

Dtfan

PostPosted: 08/01/08 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow............I was having the same problem, I have COX in CT.........from what I've gathered, the USA channel is going to cover the soccer and bb games for us, if anyone knows different , please post!

PostPosted: 08/01/08 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dtfan wrote:
Wow............I was having the same problem, I have COX in CT.........from what I've gathered, the USA channel is going to cover the soccer and bb games for us, if anyone knows different , please post!

Ok once again...

All women's basketball games information is posted on the calendar at www.off-court.com The men's games are not listed as Off-Court only eals with the women's games.

All game times, all channels are listed. Quarters and semis are listed but details will be released closer to the game days.

NBC reported that they created the basketball and soccer channels just for the Olympics. They will be carried by the major cable companies starting the 8th. check your sports package area of your cable listings. Do not expect your local cable company to know anything until closer to the games. And then ask for a supervisor.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
DetBookie

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for repost, Rothum. Was out of touch for a while and must have missed the previous mention. Embarassed

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Dtfan

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DetBookie wrote:
Thanks for repost, Rothum. Was out of touch for a while and must have missed the previous mention. Embarassed

Ditto Embarassed

PostPosted: 08/02/08 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might I suggest that for the next few weeks the pertinent info in this thread be formed into a sticky, cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't catch it the first time around.

five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 08/02/08 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
They will be carried by the major cable companies starting the 8th. check your sports package area of your cable listings. Do not expect your local cable company to know anything until closer to the games.

The first sentence there implies a trust of cable companies that I just ain't gonna feel anytime soon, based on past experience. The second is kind of hilarious; we're talking five business days away.

CylonGrrl

PostPosted: 08/05/08 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you wondering if Dish Network will have the NBC Olympic Basketball Channel, I do believe the answer is YES.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/uplink-center/143732-uplink-activity-report-7-30-2008-12-02pm-58-changes.html

It looks like channels 473 - 478 will cover the Olympics. My on screen guide now lists the above channels as XGAME1 to XGAME6.

Border Spice

played3on3

PostPosted: 08/05/08 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Directv will have the special channels? I have not received any info from them yet. Anyone have any info?

wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 08/05/08 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

played3on3 wrote:
Does anyone know if Directv will have the special channels? I have not received any info from them yet. Anyone have any info?

i was saw on a promo that channels 750-??? will be the channels for it

PostPosted: 08/05/08 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbashockballa wrote:
played3on3 wrote:

i was saw on a promo that channels 750-??? will be the channels for it

Even though the soccer starts early, the special channels start on the 8th I believe. As stated below Smile

PostPosted: 08/05/08 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AWESOME Very Happy Thanks for the info. Can't wait til it gets started!

LJFan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI quite a few of the soccer blogs are reporting Comcast does NOT intend to carry these 2 channels.

kage

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJFan wrote:
FYI quite a few of the soccer blogs are reporting Comcast does NOT intend to carry these 2 channels.

Looks like it. Can't find it on my tv. Watching from the stream on nbcolympics.

Wow. Marta is -FAST- at running down balls. That was a close one. Bad header by Cristiane (sp?).
kage

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay the Chinese crowd is chanting "JiaYou" -- lit. add oil or more colloq., come on or go for it, etc.

I just can't figure out if they're cheering on Germany or Brazil. ~_~
kage

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there something really cool about the "upper" (the far side of the field from our position) half? Cause Germany keeps attacking up there and when it gets clogged up, they just keep trying to get it through instead of switching the point of attack?
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
LJFan wrote:

Looks like it. Can't find it on my tv. Watching from the stream on nbcolympics.

The channels are supposed to make their debut on 8/8/08..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: