RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament for Women
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
maybe she is proving that role players are just as necessary to this team as an all star pouter?

Yea because Lindsay has REALLY made a big deal out of this and has cried about through the media.. OH okay.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Maybe she is proving that hard work and sacrifice do matter?

So Lindsay should of sacrifice prepping for her wedding playing with USA while injured and should of told the Czech Republic to screw off because USA basketball more important. Oh okay..

First I was not specifically referencing Lindsey...and second..Kara got married too, and was injured too although I don't think she had surgery like Lindsey, and scheduled her ESPN commimments around the team schedule thus sacrificing money...so yes, IF Lindsey wanted to make the team, if she felt it was important, she had to do all that.

That's the way team USA works. I don't make the rules I just repeat them over and over to people who just don't get it Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/06/08 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
LakotaStorm wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Good win for Team USA. Smile

They have only 1+ week to prepare and yet they beat the world champions.

That is because the Opals are saving it for the games that count. LJ doesn't need to aggravate her ankle.

You could tell neither team really gave this game a full effort, expecting both to play again in the gold medal match.

I was reading this mornings Seattle Times, and they talked about how "both teams said this was just a tune-up for the Olympics, but that their physical play spoke differently, Both teams hit the floor after hard fouls and seemed more like a Olympic gold medal game." I don't know who wrote it, it just said Seattle Times news services.

Link to the story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/olympics/2008094428_oly06.html

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/06/08 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:

So Lindsay should of sacrifice prepping for her wedding playing with USA while injured and should of told the Czech Republic to screw off because USA basketball more important. Oh okay..

If she wanted to play for the Olympics.....yes. She knew when the Olympics were so if she really wanted on the team then she could have postponed her wedding until after.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
norwester

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Whalen will be on the team in the future, if she wants to and puts in the time. She just had conflicts with her committment this time around. Understandable conflicts, but not dissimilar to Kara's, and Kara was more consistent about showing up. The National Team is not necessarily a WNBA All-Star team. It's made up of people who've played within their system Internationally, and who they've had time to evaluate within that system. Players they feel comfortable with.

And I honestly don't know where the media get off talking about how intense that final game was between the US and Australia. Yeah, there were one or two hard fouls. Rolling Eyes Suddenly it was a knock-down, drag-out fight. And if they really think this was as intense as the gold medal game will be, I feel they'll be in for a surprise. It was perhaps intense for an exhibition game, but not for a championship game. TNT and the media: they both know drama. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Lawson has only proved that if you ass kiss and brown nose enough you can make the team over players that are better than you.

So note to all young players... get ready to get your knees dirty.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
IMO Lawson has only proved that if you ass kiss and brown nose enough you can make the team over players that are better than you.

Shocked

Nice Avi STL

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

Shocked

Nice Avi STL

Well its the truth. And basically everyone here that is Pro-Lawson has admitted that if you kiss ass you can get in with less talent.

The avi.... well.... how else do you think Team USA shut her up!!?? Laughing

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's so hard to understand about the way USA Basketball works?

They have 12 positions to fill and they have a selection process that simply is what it is. They don't pick randomly and they reward players who are willing to make some sacrifices and put in some time for them.

Say what you want to about Anne Donovan, and make fun of her if it makes you feel good - but she has put in her time with USA Basketball and she is the head coach. None of you are.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:

They have 12 positions to fill and they have a selection process that simply is what it is. They don't pick randomly and they reward players who are willing to make some sacrifices and put in some time for them.

Say what you want to about Anne Donovan, and make fun of her if it makes you feel good - but she has put in her time with USA Basketball and she is the head coach. None of you are.

Ummm.... thats not my job.

But anyway, I was just stating my opinion on USA basketballs tactics. If you aren't as talented as some of the players that could be considered, kiss ass and you are in. Plain and simple.

CRASH

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:

First, LOVE the avi!!!!!

Second, Kara is not an ass kisser!!!! She works her ass off!!!
Is she as talented as others who didn't make the team?... NO!
But did she put in the time to make the team where those others did not?... YES!!!!
That's not ass kissing, that is working hard to deserve your spot, despite other commitments (ie; her wedding and ESPN and analyst duties for the Kings and working out 3-4 time a week and ...) !!!! Cool

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

First, LOVE the avi!!!!!

Second, Kara is not an ass kisser!!!! She works her ass off!!!
Is she as talented as others who didn't make the team?... NO!
But did she put in the time to make the team where those others did not?... YES!!!!
That's not ass kissing, that is working hard to deserve your spot, despite other commitments (ie; her wedding and ESPN and analyst duties for the Kings and working out 3-4 time a week and ...) !!!! Cool

This is my problem with Team USA's womens bball program (dont know much about all the other sports). Its team usa... isnt it supposed to be the best of the best?

I never said Lawson didnt work her ass off... Im sure she went through lots of chapstick too, but I am just saying there were players better than her that should have had a legitimate shot at it. But everyone knew Lawson was going to be on that final 3 when they announced it cause why?? ... smooch smooch. Sh*t I think everyone knew Lawson was on the team last year! At least I did.

And this is all my opinion

the avi is great though right! lol!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh for God's sake, usually I just let you rant on and on but this is ridiculous. Good luck trying to find anything that has sycophantic quotes from Lawson or could remotely be considered ass-kissing or sucking up. All she did was show up and play hard. That option was open to several other players who didn't do it, and didn't end up getting picked (including the lovely blonde Russian whose backside your own lips are firmly attached to).

It's not about taking the best 12 players in the US. It's about building a squad, taking people who can fill roles, and trying to take players who might have already formed some level of chemistry (through, y'know, showing up to some of the training camps). Personally I think they should've taken another real point guard (which sure as hell wouldn't have been Hammon, by the way), but they felt like they ran out of options for other point guards when they kept getting hurt or not showing up. So Lawson got in (and is proving her worth).

Stop throwing unfounded crap at Lawson because you're blinded by a surfeit of squealing fan-girl love for the cutie-pie blonde girl-next-door.

kage

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*shrug* I don't want the best players on my team. I want the best team. There is a difference and apparently Kara Lawson fit the latter better.

[Edit: Richy, how fast do you type?! In the time it took me to post two lines in response you wrote three paragraphs AND posted it before me! Laughing]
gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

If she wanted to play for the Olympics.....yes. She knew when the Olympics were so if she really wanted on the team then she could have postponed her wedding until after.

Yea, well that's one F*** up power trip. I see how that goes if you are a vet those rules won't matter but if you are a newbie well then you best do what your told. So much for freedom.. Rolling Eyes

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Oh for God's sake, usually I just let you rant on and on but this is ridiculous. Good luck trying to find anything that has sycophantic quotes from Lawson or could remotely be considered ass-kissing or sucking up. All she did was show up and play hard. That option was open to several other players who didn't do it, and didn't end up getting picked (including the lovely blonde Russian whose backside your own lips are firmly attached to).

It's not about taking the best 12 players in the US. It's about building a squad, taking people who can fill roles, and trying to take players who might have already formed some level of chemistry (through, y'know, showing up to some of the training camps). Personally I think they should've taken another real point guard (which sure as hell wouldn't have been Hammon, by the way), but they felt like they ran out of options for other point guards when they kept getting hurt or not showing up. So Lawson got in (and is proving her worth).

Stop throwing unfounded crap at Lawson because you're blinded by a surfeit of squealing fan-girl love for the cutie-pie blonde girl-next-door.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Becky not being on the Team USA squad was a given, my arguement here was for Whalen.

Smooch smooch

kage

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
LakotaStorm wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

Yea, well that's one F*** up power trip. I see how that goes if you are a vet those rules won't matter but if you are a newbie well then you best do what your told. So much for freedom.. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes AKA life. There is freedom. Whalen chose not to audition for her spot.

This is like saying that I (and Whalen) should get a job even though I didn't show up for the interview! That's crazy. Heck, if I'd worked in a company before and had a good resume, then yes, I can see skipping a couple training sessions if some other work came up, but if I'm a newcomer and don't show up at the informational meeting, then I'm not going to get the position.

If she wanted to be on the team, she should have taken some tips from Augustus:

p_d_swanson wrote:
Quote:
"I had to step up to the plate and have a good tournament," said Augustus, who will join former LSU All-American Sylvia Fowles on the U.S. team. "I don't know why my team in Russia didn't want to let me go but they found out after I didn't show up for practice. I wasn't about to jeopardize my Olympic opportunity. I had worked too hard and needed one more training session before I actually qualified."

Different players have different priorities. Augustus will be joining Taj McWilliams-Franklin with Galatasaray this winter...

Whalen obviously doesn't or hasn't prioritized the Olympics. That's not a bad choice. It just isn't for her at this point in time. In the future, if she wants to get on it, well, she knows what to do. I'm not buying that she didn't know what the score was. She clearly weighed her options and then decided where her priorities lay.

Let it rest and respect her decision.
caune

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay made her choice which clearly she can live with if lack of sour comments from her is any indication...now some of her fans on the other hand .....

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to see the US team win the tournament. Now let's all root for them to continue winning when the Olympics get underway.
ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing i do like about whalen, is she didn't go on a diva ego trip, once she learned she wasn't a shoe-in. She even acknowledged why she didn't make the team. With her kind of humility she will probably will be playing for team USA in whatever the next international event would be.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Smile Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/06/08 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
This is my problem with Team USA's womens bball program (dont know much about all the other sports). Its team usa... isnt it supposed to be the best of the best?

Yes and no. If Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, Tina Thompson, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, and Tamika Catchings were all purely centers, they wouldn't all be chosen. Picking the best players is great, it's also about putting together a team so that they will be able to compete together (not on an individual statistics competition). Kara Lawson has done what she needs to do to be on Team USA and her performance thus far should only serve to pacify her doubters.

This says it perfectly:

2Old4Title9 wrote:

If one thing's clear, maybe it is that powers that build Team USA do have a slight agenda when putting together the team. That shouldn't be so hard to understand as practically everyone on this board one too.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh please! Bird, Taurasi, Parker, and Leslie were going to be on the team regardless! I think they would have taken Parker if her shoulder completely ripped off and if Leslie was pregnant again! They were going to be on regardless!

And thats fine, they are 4 of the best players in the world and deserve to be on the team

Everyone is quick to bring up Hammon when I post here... fine.. doesnt matter but you make yourself look pretty stupid when Im not even talking about her but then turn around and bring her into the conversation yourself. And you guys are the ones that complain about us Hammonites bringing her up too much Rolling Eyes

My opinion on Lawson will not change regardless of what is said here (and I know Im not alone on that) And it wouldnt matter to me if in the Gold medal game lawson has a triple double! I would still feel the exact same way about her selection.

I dont think Team USA is going to have an easy walk to the gold medal, I think the Aussies are going to put up one hell of a fight.

And... I dont think Lawson is going to be as much help as other players may have been.

Also... thank GOD they took Big Syl onto the squad cause if they hadnt, I may have really been blowing gaskets!

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/06/08 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Oh please! Bird, Taurasi, Parker, and Leslie were going to be on the team regardless! I think they would have taken Parker if her shoulder completely ripped off and if Leslie was pregnant again! They were going to be on regardless!

You missed the point of what I was saying, so forget about it..

Quote:
Everyone is quick to bring up Hammon when I post here... fine.. doesnt matter but you make yourself look pretty stupid when Im not even talking about her but then turn around and bring her into the conversation yourself. And you guys are the ones that complain about us Hammonites bringing her up too much Rolling Eyes

No one brought up Becky since your last post.

Quote:
My opinion on Lawson will not change regardless of what is said here (and I know Im not alone on that) And it wouldnt matter to me if in the Gold medal game lawson has a triple double! I would still feel the exact same way about her selection.

That makes you pretty ignorant of basketball. If Lawson were to nab a triple double in the gold medal game (against arguably the best team in the world), that would do more than certify her place on Team USA.

Quote:
I dont think Team USA is going to have an easy walk to the gold medal, I think the Aussies are going to put up one hell of a fight.

No one ever said they wouldn't put up a fight or that the US would take the gold easily.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

You missed the point of what I was saying, so forget about it..

Quote:

No one brought up Becky since your last post.

Quote:

That makes you pretty ignorant of basketball. If Lawson were to nab a triple double in the gold medal game (against arguably the best team in the world), that would do more than certify her place on Team USA.

Quote:

No one ever said they wouldn't put up a fight or that the US would take the gold easily.

Why is it that if someone misses YOUR point they need to forget about it? Makes no sense. You obviously missed my point also.

And Lawson getting a triple double against the Aussies would be a vol fans wet dream! That aint gonna happen. But the reason I said my opinion wouldnt change is because that would be a straight up fluke! You know it and everyone here knows it. And me... I would still feel like she was a horrible choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: