RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament for Women
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Good win for Team USA. Smile

They have only 1+ week to prepare and yet they beat the world champions.

That is because the Opals are saving it for the games that count. LJ doesn't need to aggravate her ankle.

You could tell neither team really gave this game a full effort, expecting both to play again in the gold medal match.

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
LakotaStorm wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
Good win for Team USA. Smile

They have only 1+ week to prepare and yet they beat the world champions.

That is because the Opals are saving it for the games that count. LJ doesn't need to aggravate her ankle.

You could tell neither team really gave this game a full effort, expecting both to play again in the gold medal match.

Yea, well..I'd say PFT played pretty hard, but that's the only way she knows how to. (Any reason for her not being on the All tournament team...or just another PFT snubbing..)

For the US, no one was really spectacular, maybe some were "good." Catch didn't play. I think the US played well enough to win, the Australia played well enough to keep it close. And come gold medal game, the US should win, but Australia certainly could beat them. Wink

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Yea, well..I'd say PFT played pretty hard, but that's the only way she knows how to. (Any reason for her not being on the All tournament team...or just another PFT snubbing..)

I guess they didn't want to show her pretty shiner on camera. Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
USA 71, Australia 67

USA: Smith +1 (43-42), Thompson +8 (49-41), Leslie +5 (42-37), Taurasi +9 (51-42), Bird -4 (44-4Cool, Parker +5 (40-35), Augustus +8 (28-20), Pondexter -5 (9-14), Fowles -6 (9-15), Lawson +6 (29-23), Milton-Jones -7 (11-1Cool

Australia: Taylor -2 (56-5Cool, Jackson +3 (44-41), Batkovic -5 (33-3Cool, Snell +1 (44-43), Harrower -4 (50-54), Grima -4 (23-27), Bevilaqua 0 (17-17), Screen +4 (19-15), Cox -11 (15-26), Summerton 0 (32-32), Randall -2 (2-4)

Diamond Ball (cumulative):

USA +49 (248-199): Taurasi +37 (145-108), Augustus +33 (117-84), Lawson +29 (86-57), Parker +28 (107-79), Fowles +27 (76-49), Leslie +20 (124-104), Catchings +19 (63-44), Bird +17 (149-132), Smith +15 (133-118), Milton-Jones +12 (67-55), Pondexter +5 (58-53), Thompson +3 (115-112)

Wow. First... Augustus 2nd in PER! Woo!! Very Happy

And Lawson THIRD. Shocked Fun, fun. I'm glad she's proving the doubters wrong. Can anyone who watched give a better explanation for what exactly she did well? Like examples or just a little more description? Thanks!
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
USA 71, Australia 67

USA: Smith +1 (43-42), Thompson +8 (49-41), Leslie +5 (42-37), Taurasi +9 (51-42), Bird -4 (44-4Cool, Parker +5 (40-35), Augustus +8 (28-20), Pondexter -5 (9-14), Fowles -6 (9-15), Lawson +6 (29-23), Milton-Jones -7 (11-1Cool

Australia: Taylor -2 (56-5Cool, Jackson +3 (44-41), Batkovic -5 (33-3Cool, Snell +1 (44-43), Harrower -4 (50-54), Grima -4 (23-27), Bevilaqua 0 (17-17), Screen +4 (19-15), Cox -11 (15-26), Summerton 0 (32-32), Randall -2 (2-4)

USA +49 (248-199): Taurasi +37 (145-108), Augustus +33 (117-84), Lawson +29 (86-57), Parker +28 (107-79), Fowles +27 (76-49), Leslie +20 (124-104), Catchings +19 (63-44), Bird +17 (149-132), Smith +15 (133-118), Milton-Jones +12 (67-55), Pondexter +5 (58-53), Thompson +3 (115-112)

Wow. First... Augustus 2nd in PER! Woo!! Very Happy

And Lawson THIRD. Shocked Fun, fun. I'm glad she's proving the doubters wrong. Can anyone who watched give a better explanation for what exactly she did well? Like examples or just a little more description? Thanks!

She just played well. She brought in good energy, made smart decisions, played defense well. Her stats probably won't show it (one of those games) But Lawson had a good game, and her value on the court was high.

Augustus was good all tournament, but didn't play well this game. She wasn't scoring and she couldn't defend PFT at all...(And I give her credit, that's a hard one.. Wink )

PostPosted: 08/05/08 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
All Tournament Team:

(L to R) Lauren Jackson (MVP), Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Sui Fei Fei

No offense to Sui Fei Fei, but why did she make the All-Tournament Team? Seems to me that Chen or Miao had better tournaments than her if they wanted a Chinese player, but Jekabsone should have made it...

Wow, I'm surprised Jekabsone didn't make the team. I thought Penny had a more consistent tournament than Taurasi too.

PostPosted: 08/05/08 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
All Tournament Team:

(L to R) Lauren Jackson (MVP), Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Sui Fei Fei

No offense to Sui Fei Fei, but why did she make the All-Tournament Team? Seems to me that Chen or Miao had better tournaments than her if they wanted a Chinese player, but Jekabsone should have made it...

Wow, I'm surprised Jekabsone didn't make the team. I thought Penny had a more consistent tournament than Taurasi too.

And Bird, and Parker.... Laughing

But seeing as the gave MVP to Lauren, and the US won..... Wink

PostPosted: 08/05/08 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

The team needs a PG, which is how that little munchkin manages to squeeze her way onto the All-Tournament teams. Wink But, yes, I suppose Penny should have taken Parker's spot. Whatever, none of it matters.

From;
http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24136090-5016773,00.html

Quote:
The extremely physical tussle included a brutal Tina Thompson screen on Taylor that forced her from the court in tears early in the third term, while Suzy Batkovic responded with a hard foul on Diana Taurasi as neither side took a backward step.

I must have blinked for a long time as I didn't see the tussle between Thompson and Penny, and I didn't know Batgirl retaliated either. Shocked Go Suzy. Taurasi is a bit less imposing than Leslie, but she's a decent start.

PostPosted: 08/05/08 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

The team needs a PG, which is how that little munchkin manages to squeeze her way onto the All-Tournament teams. Wink But, yes, I suppose Penny should have taken Parker's spot. Whatever, none of it matters.

From;
http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24136090-5016773,00.html

Quote:
The extremely physical tussle included a brutal Tina Thompson screen on Taylor that forced her from the court in tears early in the third term, while Suzy Batkovic responded with a hard foul on Diana Taurasi as neither side took a backward step.

I must have blinked for a long time as I didn't see the tussle between Thompson and Penny, and I didn't know Batgirl retaliated either. Shocked Go Suzy. Taurasi is a bit less imposing than Leslie, but she's a decent start.

Confused I saw the tussle, and Penny go down, but I didn't see the hard foul.
Dee was being a nice girl this game too...she even helped up Snelly after she fell down..(and then Snelly promptly ran away from her and made a three.. Laughing )

PostPosted: 08/05/08 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3519931

Interesting quotes...

Quote:
"I don't think there has every been a game when we played Australia when it wasn't physical," said Leslie.

Penny Taylor, who led Australia with 19 points sported a blackened left eye after the game. Something she surely will remember if the two teams do meet again in the Olympics.

"I've got a souvenir to take with us," Taylor said, pointing to her eye.

Quote:
The U.S. was also tested by Latvia in its first game. Latvia proved it could be a potential spoiler in the Olympics, beating Russia in the opener. Aneta Jekabsone averaged 29 points for Latvia against the two powerhouse teams and made a strong impression.

"She can play on my team any day," U.S. guard Sue Bird said. "I think she would do well in the WNBA."

Quote:
While Latvia was impressive, Russia looked disjointed. Becky Hammon made her Russian debut and could lead them only to one victory over Mali in the fifth place game.

In the much-hyped game against the United States, Hammon and her Russian teammates were no match for the Americans.

"You take the win with a grain of salt," Donovan said. "Russia will be ready once the games start."

Quote:
Mali showed it could compete for short periods of time, but viewed the tournament as a chance to just improve.

"Our goal in the Olympics is to try and beat New Zealand," said Mali forward Kadiatou Kanoute, who played her college basketball at Fordham. "That's the team that we think we have a shot to compete against. The rest of the time is just a learning experience for us."

PostPosted: 08/05/08 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to know where LJ's shorts are Wink Very Happy

norwester

PostPosted: 08/05/08 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps recent events have desensitized me to the violence. Tina set a hard screen that took Penny down, but it was perhaps a touch extracurricular, and I believe she picked up a foul for it. It was gentler than the one that took out Sue Bird in the last Storm-Monarchs game, though. Shocked I also don't remember Suzy fouling anyone particularly hard. That's mostly where the desensitization comes in, I guess. I like that Australia isn't intimidated by us at all, though, but it's not like we were Detroit-LA out there. Wink

PostPosted: 08/05/08 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am still pissed I couldn't view the USA/Aus game this morning! But I didnt enjoy watching China and Latvia.

The Chinese know their system and they really work well together. They are streaky, but if they're on, they can make it rain from downtown.

With that being said, they have no inside game, none of the players can take contact in transition and finish the play, none really had any offensive 1 on 1, 1 on 2 moves to creat her own shot. If they are having a bad game from the outside, it could be trouble. Also, I don't know if they would be able to defend the inside game of USA...

Regardless, I think they could potentially win the bronze. They aren't at the level of USA or Aus, but they are a solid team. So, hopefully, they will get bronze...

Lativa wasn't impressive to me. They were never out of the game, yet, they never had a sense of urgency about them. They couldn't dig deep enough to get consecutive defensive stops and to get the shots they wanted in their offense. I was think the entire time: "How did this team come within 10 points of the USA??" Maybe they didnt want to play...maybe they were tired.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 08/05/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not having seen any of the games, just having read the recaps/quotes/comments, I know I'm not alone when I say:

Let the Games begin!

Seems like it will be a good Games for Women's basketball. How exciting, it's only days away!!!!!

Man, I cannot WAIT! Who wants it more? Who can suck it up in the clutch? Who plays smarter and better? SO much to look forward to! GO USA, GO!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/05/08 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And Lawson THIRD. Fun, fun. I'm glad she's proving the doubters wrong.

What exactly is she proving it's not like she's getting 20 points in 11 mins. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/05/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

What exactly is she proving it's not like she's getting 20 points in 11 mins. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Right, because scoring is what international basketball is about. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/05/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

okay and again What the hell is she proving?? Rolling Eyes

Want your bad romance

norwester

PostPosted: 08/05/08 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion she's "proved" that she can play good perimeter defense, hit timely shots, and control turnovers. She provides good team energy off the bench.

Though I don't know if I would characterize it as "proving" myself. She could clearly do all those things, based on her play in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 08/05/08 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

damm i thought big syl would of had a good game 2dai she barely had pt and was in foul trouble

PostPosted: 08/05/08 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
bullsky wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

maybe she is proving that role players are just as necessary to this team as an all star pouter?

Maybe she is proving that hard work and sacrifice do matter?

Kara never complains, she hustles, leads when she is out there, and never adversely effects the team. All teams need players like that, especially teams that want gold medals!

Last edited by caune on 08/05/08 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
romath

PostPosted: 08/05/08 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="psheehy"]
Dtfan wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
USA 71, Australia 67

They are Plus/Minus values for players and teams. Team USA outscored its opponents by 49 points.

The player numbers show how well a team performed when an individual player was on the court. A positive number shows how many points their team outscored the opponent when they were on the court and a negative number indicates the opponent outscored their team when they were on the court. It comes from a technique introduced in Hockey to determine player value, but has proven to have valid results in basketball as well. It has been used with the NBA for a number of years, but we didn't do any work with the women's game (on a visible scale) until 2005. pd_swanson has been tracking the whole WNBA since 2006.

These types of numbers are best used over time to see patterns and not for a single game, since there are too many variables involved in a single game that can affect them. For instance, people have commented how well Penny Taylor played, but these numbers suggest she was something of a drag on her team. Which is it? Overall, I would think that players on winning teams are going to have better numbers than losers, the greater the difference in average score the greater the split.

Btw, CCTV5 was stop and go this morning from my computer. Is there a video of the game posted anywhere for replay?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/05/08 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
bullsky wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

That she deserved the spot on the team she worked for.

PostPosted: 08/05/08 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Opals had a few chances to pull this one out, but threw the ball away a few times, and for some reason wasted about 15 seconds on the shot clock in a 3 point game when there was only 25 seconds left?

Oh well, it proves to me anyways that these ARE the best 2 teams in the world. And its gonna be a fun tourney. Hopefully Russia can "improve"(especially on defense) in the next week or so Smile

PostPosted: 08/06/08 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the fans outside usa, can you guys watch videos from nbc? I only got not available for outside USA??? is this mean I cant watch the Olympic online from nbc.com? Or I can watch the games from cctv5 with ppmate? Any info? thx

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe she is proving that role players are just as necessary to this team as an all star pouter?

Yea because Lindsay has REALLY made a big deal out of this and has cried about through the media.. OH okay.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Maybe she is proving that hard work and sacrifice do matter?

So Lindsay should of sacrifice prepping for her wedding playing with USA while injured and should of told the Czech Republic to screw off because USA basketball more important. Oh okay..

Want your bad romance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: