RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SI on Hammon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:15 pm    ::: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1143342/index.htm

Quote:
"I'm proud to be an American," she says, "but I'm also proud that Russia would embrace and accept me. Medal or no, they've given me the opportunity to remind people what the original Olympic spirit is all about—unity."

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:23 pm    ::: Re: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1143342/index.htm

Quote:
"I'm proud to be an American," she says, "but I'm also proud that Russia would embrace and accept me. Medal or no, they've given me the opportunity to remind people what the original Olympic spirit is all about—unity."

Yeah, unity of what Becky? Rolling Eyes

(Italics and bold emphasis added by me.)

Last edited by UTexRulz23 on 07/31/08 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article!

I would love to see Becky bring home a medal regardless of which one it is. But if she doesnt, thats cool too cause Im sure the experience will be amazing.

The Olympics is about the top athletes of the world competing and womens basketball definitely isnt going to be an easy road for any team to win gold.

We'll also get a chance to see how good that Lawson pick turned out Shocked

SayTownSpurs

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:36 pm    ::: Re: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:

Hmm...maybe many countries of the world coming together and uniting to compete?

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:01 pm    ::: Re: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

SayTownSpurs wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

That'd be fine. EXCEPT...according to Becky, unity is "what the ORIGINAL Olympic spirit is all about". Besides, how is Becky Hammon helping the "countries of the world come together and unite to compete"?

That's what Becky says. I'm not anti-Becky, but I am sick of all the bullshit surrounding her decision (from both ends).

I don't really even get how her actions is a reminder of the concept of unity. Question Rolling Eyes

Last edited by UTexRulz23 on 07/31/08 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the original ideas of the Olympics was amateur athletes representing their countries in physical competition.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
One of the original ideas of the Olympics was amateur athletes representing their countries in physical competition.

Exactly...old Pierre is probably turning over in his grave. And wasn't it Russia who started the whole professional athlete mess.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

I would love to see Becky bring home a medal regardless of which one it is. But if she doesnt, thats cool too cause Im sure the experience will be amazing.

The Olympics is about the top athletes of the world competing and womens basketball definitely isnt going to be an easy road for any team to win gold.

Australia is going to take care of Russia for us so DMJ may never even get to knock KGBecky to the ground Sad

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Australia is going to take care of Russia for us so DMJ may never even get to knock KGBecky to the ground Sad

I'm betting it'll be exactly like the World's. We'll meet Russia in the semi's and the winner will see Australia in the finals. Let's hope the outcome is different this time around.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:
"If (Becky) was given a fair shake to begin with than maybe she would be in a U.S. uniform," said Los Angeles Sparks forward DeLisha Milton-Jones, a member of the U.S. team.

"I wish her well -- to each their own. I mean, we have people doing much worse in the world."

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSN3050530820080801?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandCha%20nnel=0

It's nice the DMJ seems more tolerant and accepting and seems to have a better understanding of where this falls in broader view of things.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
caune wrote:

I'm betting it'll be exactly like the World's. We'll meet Russia in the semi's and the winner will see Australia in the finals. Let's hope the outcome is different this time around.

Not...since Russia is not in the same group as USA this time, only if they make it to the finals and they have to get through Australia first. I don't see that happening. Russia might make the bronze game, probably with Brazil.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:
"If (Becky) was given a fair shake to begin with than maybe she would be in a U.S. uniform," said Los Angeles Sparks forward DeLisha Milton-Jones, a member of the U.S. team.

"I wish her well -- to each their own. I mean, we have people doing much worse in the world."

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSN3050530820080801?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandCha%20nnel=0

It's nice the DMJ seems more tolerant and accepting and seems to have a better understanding of where this falls in broader view of things.

I agree, its funny how people have been saying oh DMJ is going to take care of Becky and now this comes out Laughing

Maybe they will start saying Parker is going to be the one that does it.

newkid

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
newkid wrote:

Not...since Russia is not in the same group as USA this time, only if they make it to the finals and they have to get through Australia first. I don't see that happening. Russia might make the bronze game, probably with Brazil.

Hmmm...the schedule posted on the USA basketball site looks to me like it's possible. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

http://www.usabasketball.com/women_team.php?page=wsnt_schedule

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are right, I think they could meet before the finals

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
LakotaStorm wrote:
newkid wrote:

Hmmm...the schedule posted on the USA basketball site looks to me like it's possible. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

http://www.usabasketball.com/women_team.php?page=wsnt_schedule

You're not reading it wrong. The most likely scenario is US vs. Russia/Australia in the semi-final and then the other in the final, although that does require Australia and Russia finishing 1st and 2nd in their group (assuming the US win theirs). The way Russia have been playing in their warm-up games (admittedly before the sainted Becky arrived) that's not a certainty - they got stuffed by Spain a few weeks ago.

If, say, Russia screw up a little in the group and finish 3rd rather than 2nd, that'd put them back in Australia's half of the knock-out bracket (assuming the Aussies win the group). Then the US, assuming they win their group and don't screw up against anyone else in the quarters or semis, would avoid either of them until the final.

caune

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:

I agree, its funny how people have been saying oh DMJ is going to take care of Becky and now this comes out Laughing

rofl...umm, don't believe everything you read in the press...where the players spout the company line Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:

rofl...umm, don't believe everything you read in the press...where the players spout the company line Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

Sierra0808

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

OMG KGBecky that just about made me spit my coffee out, funny and true Very Happy

baker10

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:

i used to like you caune, you used to post things that i actually liked -but now i just think your an idiot! jmo

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

Quote:

Funny...I thought the company line was to keep quite about it for fear of AD going off again. Wink

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sierra0808 wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Great article!

OMG KGBecky that just about made me spit my coffee out, funny and true Very Happy

Yeah Becky thought it was funny too...when she saw a sign like that at road game she asked for a copy.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:

Funny...I thought the company line was to keep quite about it for fear of AD going off again. Wink

Its funny how so many team usa girls have come out in support of Hammon.

I mean we all know the support is out the window if they meet on the court, but its very cool they have spoken up.

I think Team USA but a ball-gag in AD's mouth

Short BBallFan512583

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:42 am    ::: Re: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
SayTownSpurs wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

I don't really even get how her actions is a reminder of the concept of unity. Question Rolling Eyes

I don't really see how unity fits either....seems like a little bit of a stretch to me, just my opinion though.

Twitter: @_Short1_
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:45 am    ::: Re: SI on Hammon Reply Reply with quote

Short BBallFan512583 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
SayTownSpurs wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

I don't really see how unity fits either....seems like a little bit of a stretch to me, just my opinion though.

I guess it could mean people coming together from all over the world in the spirit of competion at the hightest levels.

Rothum

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's funny to me that the Becky fans accuse everyone else of being intolerant of Becky, then seem to come in a pack when someone disagrees or states a different opinion.

A very tolerant and impressive move to call a moderator of the board an idiot by the way.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: