RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky gets Russian Uniform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
bullsky wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
I just think its funny how Team USA fans feel like Becky is such a hreat to them winning that elusive gold medal Laughing

Oh yeah, we're shakin' in our boots. Rolling Eyes

A wise man once said, we have Diana and you don't! Twisted Evil

We shall see... Im actually thinking Australia will win gold, but who knows.

Well they do have LJ and PFT Laughing

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

baker10 wrote:
what's wrong with rooting for Russia??
Hell I even root for countries of all my nationalities!
Phillipines
Spain
Italy
American Indian - (which doesn't have a county, but we don't need to address that now do we!) Laughing Laughing

That is not true, many of the reservations are sovereign nations, mine is one of them, the Lakota Nation is a Sovereign Nation.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Swoopes_O'grady

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
bullsky wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
I just think its funny how Team USA fans feel like Becky is such a hreat to them winning that elusive gold medal Laughing

So? We'll just put Plenette Pierson on PFT to rough her a bit and she won't be a problem! Oh wait, she's not on Team USA. Laughing Wink

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes_O'grady wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
bullsky wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

So? We'll just put Plenette Pierson on PFT to rough her a bit and she won't be a problem! Oh wait, she's not on Team USA. Laughing Wink

No but LLL is and I'm sure Parker is also up to the task....that was one hell of a take down she managed Laughing

Swoopes_O'grady

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
None of these writers and columnist (opportunist) had a negative word toward Hakeem when he played on the "dream team" so why all the bashing on Becky? It's because they know one of America's finest is playing against them.

America doesn't seem to have an issue with allowing naturalized citizens playing for them but they have showed they dont like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Its funny to me!

Hakeem became a US citizen in 1993 after living in Houston for 13 years. Houston, Tx USA became his second home so that's why he decided to become a US citizen. He was named to the 1996 US Olympic team 3 years after becoming a US citizen which he accepted with great honor. Hakeem didn't become a US citizen only to play for the US team unlike Hammon.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes_O'grady wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
None of these writers and columnist (opportunist) had a negative word toward Hakeem when he played on the "dream team" so why all the bashing on Becky? It's because they know one of America's finest is playing against them.

America doesn't seem to have an issue with allowing naturalized citizens playing for them but they have showed they dont like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Its funny to me!

Hakeem became a US citizen in 1993 after living in Houston for 13 years. Houston, Tx USA became his second home so that's why he decided to become a US citizen. He was named to the 1996 US Olympic team 3 years after becoming a US citizen which he accepted with great honor. Hakeem didn't become a US citizen only to play for the US team unlike Hammon.

Fact is fact .... he is still naturalized.

CB

PostPosted: 07/31/08 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could be wrong on this but didn't they rush Hakeem's citizenship through for the Olympics?

I feel pretty sure he didn't live here fulltime those 13 years. The NBA lasts 8-9 months a year, he was at his job.

In fact, I recall Hakeem saying he would love to live in Canada when retired. Plus, you know he spends some time where he is originally from as well.

Of course, I'm not being anal about Hakeem. As everyone, I was glad to have him on the USA team and proud for him.;

FS02

PostPosted: 07/31/08 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious, does Becky speak Russian? Or is the whole team going to communicate in English?

I think Sue Bird has picked up the Russian language pretty well over the course of a few winters, but she may be one of those people who is good with languages. Obviously, not everyone is, and teams have a way of working past the language barriers during the pro season in Europe, but this is going to be a completely different situation.

Sass

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
detroitgonnawin wrote:
We as basketball fans have no say so in the selection process however we as basketball fans do have the civil duty of standing united and show support to our country rather it be in a basketball game or the simple act of voting. I am not trying to turn this into some argument im am simply just saying what is on my mind. I am not knocking Becky for playing for Russia I understand her reasoning but at the same time in am not gonna root for another country over my own.

Civil duty.... since when did basketball become a civil duty? Like I said, womens basketball will be the only sport I dont root for Team USA in because its my way of taking a stand against BS and my way of supporting Hammon.

Some people don't view the Olympics as "just basketball" so if you could start acting like that is an opinion rather than a fact, that would be nice.

bullsky/Krush, you just identified the problem with a lot of the indignant posts made on this board. Bless your discerning heart.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Taoduck

PostPosted: 08/01/08 3:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My feelings about the Olympics started to change when I began to understand how some elite track and field athletes can be extremely well paid for their performances, yet still be considered "amateurs". They completely changed when professional athletes... tennis and basketball players, as well as pro snowboarders, etc... were permitted to compete. The notion of the Amateur Athlete is gone from the Olympics, though they might want to pretend it still exists.

IMO, what Becky's doing is just another manifestation of the modern Olympic "spirit".

And I'll cheer for whomever I want.
It won't affect my national loyalty one bit.
They're only games, after all.

The tricky part will be finding the international performances, given the nationalistic coverage of the American MSM.

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
DRS9 wrote:
Gosh! I wonder how Becky's family must feel...
Hmm, root for my country or my daughter?

If Becky was to win, I wonder how many neighbors would join in their celebration. LOL.

Her family will be in Bejing and it will probably be block party in SD Laughing

Actually, I have a friend who is originally from Rapid City and she says the reaction has been surprisingly negative, almost oppressively so. Now admittedly, she doesn't live there full time anymore so maybe she's hearing too much second hand or filtered by specific people's opinions, but she's a huge Becky fan who was pretty bummed out by what she was hearing.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think those of you who keep saying they are only games are really missing the boat. Back in the day, it meant more than that. It was really about the prowess of your country's best against the rest. And nobody would have been caught dead cheering for another country, especially Germany or Russia.

I guess it really does show that patriotism doesn't mean much to many people in the United States. Also, I don't think other citizens from any country would support the USA over their country ever. I guess that's the price your pay for allowing such freedoms. And I wonder if a player like Dirk, LJ or even Yao would ever play for the United States against their own country in an international competition. I doubt it.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I think those of you who keep saying they are only games are really missing the boat. Back in the day, it meant more than that. It was really about the prowess of your country's best against the rest. And nobody would have been caught dead cheering for another country, especially Germany or Russia.

I guess it really does show that patriotism doesn't mean much to many people in the United States. Also, I don't think other citizens from any country would support the USA over their country ever. I guess that's the price your pay for allowing such freedoms. And I wonder if a player like Dirk, LJ or even Yao would ever play for the United States against their own country in an international competition. I doubt it.

Ummm....Yao would be killed or imprisioned. He is OWNED by the Chinese government and allowed to play in the NBA and that freedom can be easily taken away at blink of an eye.

The price you pay for allowing such Freedoms? WTF? Isn't this the gift those freedoms allow?
You know here in San Antonio we have lots of military and I know quite a few people serving....I see quite a few on a daily basis and many of them have been back and forth serving in Iraq and Afganistan. These guys and a few ladies risk their lives and they are the ones paying the prices for allowing people the freedoms you seem to have an issue with. It's funny because they don't seem to an issue and few of them are really pulling for her do well.
Amercia is about the very freedoms you don't seem think we should have....that doesn't seem very Partiotic.

Oh...lots of us weren't around back in the day and have moved forward into the new centry. Rolling Eyes

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:

Ummm....Yao would be killed or imprisioned. He is OWNED by the Chinese government and allowed to play in the NBA and that freedom can be easily taken away at blink of an eye.

The price you pay for allowing such Freedoms? WTF? Isn't this the gift those freedoms allow?
You know here in San Antonio we have lots of military and I know quite a few people serving....I see quite a few on a daily basis and many of them have been back and forth serving in Iraq and Afganistan. These guys and a few ladies risk their lives and they are the ones paying the prices for allowing people the freedoms you seem to have an issue with. It's funny because they don't seem to an issue and few of them are really pulling for her do well.
Amercia is about the very freedoms you don't seem think we should have....that doesn't seem very Partiotic.

Oh...lots of us weren't around back in the day and have moved forward into the new centry. Rolling Eyes

That about all I can say to this madness too lol!

And isnt crazy how someone alwqays has a friend in SD that say stuff lol

my friend has a friends that has an uncle who has a neighbor that lives in North dakota but does go to south dakota sometimes that says they dont like becky lmao!!

shrrew

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
DRS9 wrote:
Gosh! I wonder how Becky's family must feel...
Hmm, root for my country or my daughter?

If Becky was to win, I wonder how many neighbors would join in their celebration. LOL.

Her family will be in Bejing and it will probably be block party in SD Laughing

Actually, I have a friend who is originally from Rapid City and she says the reaction has been surprisingly negative, almost oppressively so. Now admittedly, she doesn't live there full time anymore so maybe she's hearing too much second hand or filtered by specific people's opinions, but she's a huge Becky fan who was pretty bummed out by what she was hearing.

I have family and friends that currently live in So Dak. They will be cheering for TeamUSA first and the cheering for Becky Hammon as a individual second. They are proud she made an Olympic team. They wish it had been TeamUSA but she is an Olympian nonetheless. They are celebrating that fact. They get that the Olympics is about individual athletic excellence. They actually know and understand the true spirit of the Olympics because they took the time to read about it. That part of the country has an 86% literacy rate! Cool

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I"m grateful for those freedoms. But look what you said Yao would be killed. Other countries are not even as liberal as the United States professes to be. Yet everytime something comes up, citizens are quick to go against the USA. I was saying because it's so allowed, people feel free to disregard this country.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I"m grateful for those freedoms. But look what you said Yao would be killed. Other countries are not even as liberal as the United States professes to be. Yet everytime something comes up, citizens are quick to go against the USA. I was saying because it's so allowed, people feel free to disregard this country.

You totally have proved OUR point. She is american and FREE to make the best of opportunities thrown to her and anyone that wants to criticize or take those freedoms away are the ones that aren't being too patriotic.

Let the woman live her life. Basketball is her job, she made a business decision and gets to live out a dream. IF that isn't American then I dont know what is!

The Olympics are commercial now. There are athletes all over the world competing for different countries, its a big ass sporting event now. Yes people tend to cheer for their countries, but they dont care what athletes are representing them as long as the ones under their flags do well.

It isnt that we go against the USA, we do go against policies, speak out against government, b*tch about Team USA... but we have the right to, were Americans.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:

Can't speak for others but I support my country and have never disregarded them. I have voted in EVERY election local, state and national since I turned 18. I support our troops at every opportunity that presesents itself though local fund raisers. and charity's.
I'm not disregarding my country. I'm disregarding the USA basketballs selection process. Becky aside...many players are not getting the opportunity at a fair chance because of this process and that is what I and many others are disregarding.

DRS9

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm far from Anti-American, but I don't agree with lots of things going on in this country, the War in Iraq is one. Yes, I support our troops but they shouldn't be over there right now anyway; they should be at home with families. But back to basketball. Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I have to cheer for them. My family is mainly German and was born there. So if I cheer for Dirk in the NBA, am I being unpatriotic by not cheering for the Americans on the team?

But that's just MY opinion and double pennies worth.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a African-American in this United States. I certainly like others have things I could complain about. I don't begrudge Becky anything. I don't even know her. If she wants to take the money and run that's her.

I was mostly stating my opinion about how people are quick to say it's cool to go against or cheer for another country because you know it is however just a game. And I do live in today's century, and I certainly feel that alot of people don't view the Olympics as just a game. I guess I feel playing against your country is right up there with cheering against them. So of course if you support one then certainly you support the other.

I'm done because I definitely know we all have the right and freedom to make and state our various and vastly different opinions.

DRS9

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a African-American in this United States.

Whoo-hoo! That makes two of us. Cool

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:

Beautifully and eloquently stated, cherrystreet. I agree that patriotism, like community and caring, have gone out the window for the citizens of this country. We now live in a disposable, "who gives a shit about you cause it's all about me" world. The fact that American athletes now feel it's their "right" to go play for another country underscores this fact.

The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country. Despite the fact that Russia has cleaned up its act a lot in the last 20 years, I wouldn't cheer for that country if you paid me.

I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US. I'm sure the Russians are snickering privately that Hammon would defect from her own country to play for them. And I'm sorry for the Russian woman she replaced on the team.

- Run-DMC
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Beautifully and eloquently stated, cherrystreet. I agree that patriotism, like community and caring, have gone out the window for the citizens of this country. We now live in a disposable, "who gives a shit about you cause it's all about me" world. The fact that American athletes now feel it's their "right" to go play for another country underscores this fact.

The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country. Despite the fact that Russia has cleaned up its act a lot in the last 20 years, I wouldn't cheer for that country if you paid me.

I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US.

I'm sure the Russians are snickering privately that Hammon would defect from her own country to play for them. And I'm sorry for the Russian woman she replaced on the team.

WHAT???? You are saying no athletes from other countries would try to play for the US????

You are dismissed

Wow... now you speak for the Russians... Rolling Eyes

Becky has been very up front with saying the Russians didnt want her on the team at first but by the end of the CSKA season they were all for it and looking forward to her coming back for the Olympics

Sass

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Sass wrote:

I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US.

I'm sure the Russians are snickering privately that Hammon would defect from her own country to play for them. And I'm sorry for the Russian woman she replaced on the team.

WHAT???? You are saying no athletes from other countries would try to play for the US????

You are dismissed

Wow... now you speak for the Russians... Rolling Eyes

Becky has been very up front with saying the Russians didnt want her on the team at first but by the end of the CSKA season they were all for it and looking forward to her coming back for the Olympics

Naw, I dismissed you and your traitorous views first.

- Run-DMC
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Naw, I dismissed you and your traitorous views first.

LMFAO!! noo nooo

you first you first!! Rolling Eyes

I cant believe you are serious when you say

Quote:

that may be one of the most ridiculous things Ive read on this board in weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: