RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky gets Russian Uniform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey87

PostPosted: 07/31/08 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect the US to win and win big, We have the best players in the world on our team period. We will bring home the gold. I could care less about the other teams though.. Smile

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/31/08 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
baker10 wrote:
GO RUSSIA~ Very Happy

Bring home the gold Becky

So you are rooting against your own country's team for the sake of one player that you like?

Check out this column from today's LA Times, called "Are they mercenaries or just opportunists?" :

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olydwyre31-2008jul31,0,6758207.column

Quote:
* Our American attitude on athletes, which is to coddle them from crib to grave, has created an assumption of entitlement that may be irreversible. More and more, our athletes think of money and fame and even a spot in the Olympics as a right, rather than an opportunity.

* Except for the occasional quirky circumstance, such as the Greek women's softball team, Olympic participation should be simple: Represent your country, not somebody else's.

Im rooting for Becky in spite of the Team USA Selection Committee. And because I am a fan.

And if the Olympics were all about playing for your own country there would be athletes that werent able to play for Team USA. None of these writers and columnist (opportunist) had a negative word toward Hakeem when he played on the "dream team" so why all the bashing on Becky? It's because they know one of America's finest is playing against them.

America doesn't seem to have an issue with allowing naturalized citizens playing for them but they have showed they dont like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Its funny to me!

So on that note....

Sass

PostPosted: 07/31/08 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRS9 wrote:
The Olympics just isn't what it used to be...

They sure aren't. Sad.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/31/08 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Sass wrote:
baker10 wrote:
GO RUSSIA~ Very Happy

Bring home the gold Becky

So you are rooting against your own country's team for the sake of one player that you like?

Check out this column from today's LA Times, called "Are they mercenaries or just opportunists?" :

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olydwyre31-2008jul31,0,6758207.column

Quote:
* Our American attitude on athletes, which is to coddle them from crib to grave, has created an assumption of entitlement that may be irreversible. More and more, our athletes think of money and fame and even a spot in the Olympics as a right, rather than an opportunity.

* Except for the occasional quirky circumstance, such as the Greek women's softball team, Olympic participation should be simple: Represent your country, not somebody else's.

Im rooting for Becky in spite of the Team USA Selection Committee. And because I am a fan.

And if the Olympics were all about playing for your own country there would be athletes that werent able to play for Team USA. None of these writers and columnist (opportunist) had a negative word toward Hakeem when he played on the "dream team" so why all the bashing on Becky? It's because they know one of America's finest is playing against them.

America doesn't seem to have an issue with allowing naturalized citizens playing for them but they have showed they dont like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Its funny to me!

So on that note....

Nice card...I like this one too...you do good work! Wink

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/31/08 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW!

PostPosted: 07/31/08 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GO RUSSIA ~ Very Happy

BRING HOME THE GOLD BECKY! Very Happy Very Happy

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/31/08 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^You said that already, we understand you LOOOOOOOOOOVE Becky! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/08 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
^^You said that already, we understand you LOOOOOOOOOOVE Becky! Laughing

Very Happy

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/31/08 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

baker10 wrote:
GO RUSSIA ~ Very Happy

BRING HOME THE GOLD BECKY! Very Happy Very Happy

Here ya go baker...from STL with Hammonite WUB

detroitgonnawin

PostPosted: 07/31/08 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRS9 wrote:
Does the Deutschland have a team? If so, I'd be cheering for them too.
Cheering for a team in a game and cheering for them to win it all is different.

The Olympics just isn't what it used to be...

EDIT: So Germany only has men's basketball... no women. Lame. Guess I'll be cheering for Dirk and the Deutschland.

Just dropping in to say love that pic...mainly bc I watched that game and loved the emotion from it and when dUKe lost, i was ecstatic.

I also agree with your above comment, If becky's team isnt playing the US i will most def cheer for her to do well. It represents the W, and also represents a young woman showing off all of her tremendous talents, so GO US, and GO Becky!!!

"Memories are just where you leave them"

"Jimmy Choo, Bitches"
DRS9

PostPosted: 07/31/08 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Just dropping in to say love that pic...mainly bc I watched that game and loved the emotion from it and when dUKe lost, i was ecstatic.

Thanks. Smile

Also, something I noticed: Some people seem to be a little, um, angered whenever people cheer on Becky. But when you think about it, they're not saying "Go Russia" or anything. It's only b/c Becky's there. Some question their patriotism because they cheer Becky. I think it would be different if they came on here saying "Yeah go Russia!" Maybe if US didn't slip and leave Becky out we would not hear this "Go Becky" and a separate "Go USA." Just my two pennies worth.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRS9 wrote:
But when you think about it, they're not saying "Go Russia" or anything.

Except baker10...

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Except baker10...

True.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think for the most part we Hammon fans just want to see her do well. We aren't too concerned on whether she wins a medal or not, just the opportunity to play.

I think all of us (her fans and Hammonites) will be cheering her on. Some of us will be pulling for Russia, some will only pull for Russia when they arent playing the USA.

For me, I cant root for Team USA because I think the selection of the players was BS. Im still trying to figure out how Lawson got on the squad over Whalen or Douglas and why Nolan was never a real consideration. Then of course this whole Hammon situation.

But whats done is done.

I will be rooting for Russia and Hammon in spite of the Team USA selection committee. I do hope the players of Team USA do well. I also hope that Australia does well cause their program is solid. And womens basketball will be the only sport I root against America in.

If the USA doesnt win gold it is a let-down plain and simple and maybe something will be done about the next Olympics selections and how its handled. Team USA needs the best players on the floor, period.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/31/08 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also disagree with the selection process of Team USA. Regardless, I will always root for them to win the gold. Australia's second.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We as basketball fans have no say so in the selection process however we as basketball fans do have the civil duty of standing united and show support to our country rather it be in a basketball game or the simple act of voting. I am not trying to turn this into some argument im am simply just saying what is on my mind. I am not knocking Becky for playing for Russia I understand her reasoning but at the same time in am not gonna root for another country over my own.

"Memories are just where you leave them"

"Jimmy Choo, Bitches"
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

detroitgonnawin wrote:
We as basketball fans have no say so in the selection process however we as basketball fans do have the civil duty of standing united and show support to our country rather it be in a basketball game or the simple act of voting. I am not trying to turn this into some argument im am simply just saying what is on my mind. I am not knocking Becky for playing for Russia I understand her reasoning but at the same time in am not gonna root for another country over my own.

Civil duty.... since when did basketball become a civil duty? Like I said, womens basketball will be the only sport I dont root for Team USA in because its my way of taking a stand against BS and my way of supporting Hammon.

DRS9

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gosh! I wonder how Becky's family must feel...
Hmm, root for my country or my daughter?

If Becky was to win, I wonder how many neighbors would join in their celebration. LOL.

Last edited by DRS9 on 07/31/08 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
detroitgonnawin wrote:

Civil duty.... since when did basketball become a civil duty? Like I said, womens basketball will be the only sport I dont root for Team USA in because its my way of taking a stand against BS and my way of supporting Hammon.

Some people don't view the Olympics as "just basketball" so if you could start acting like that is an opinion rather than a fact, that would be nice.

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRS9 wrote:

If Becky was to win, I wonder how many neighbors would join in their celebration. LOL.

Her family will be in Bejing and it will probably be block party in SD Laughing

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
DRS9 wrote:

Well, if Russia does beat US in the gold medal matchup, and it was Becky who hit the game-winner, she really should expect something to happen when she returns to the U.S., like finding her house burnt down... Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kidding. Don't do that, kids. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 07/31/08 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
DRS9 wrote:

Well, if Russia does beat US in the gold medal matchup, and it was Becky who hit the game-winner, she really should expect something to happen when she returns to the U.S., like finding her house burnt down... Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kidding. Don't do that, kids. Twisted Evil

If that would happen I would worry about the USA Basketball offices being burnt and AD might have to stay in China.

I do know the Hammonites willl have one hell of party along with some of our local media!!! Wink

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just think its funny how Team USA fans feel like Becky is such a hreat to them winning that elusive gold medal Laughing

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
I just think its funny how Team USA fans feel like Becky is such a hreat to them winning that elusive gold medal Laughing

Oh yeah, we're shakin' in our boots. Rolling Eyes

A wise man once said, we have Diana and you don't! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 07/31/08 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

Oh yeah, we're shakin' in our boots. Rolling Eyes

A wise man once said, we have Diana and you don't! Twisted Evil

We shall see... Im actually thinking Australia will win gold, but who knows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: