RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jayda Blogs from Olympic Training Camp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 07/28/08 9:35 pm    ::: Jayda Blogs from Olympic Training Camp Reply Reply with quote

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/storm/2008/07/live_from_olympic_training_cam.html

PostPosted: 07/28/08 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP4 as point (for a bit). Eeeeeh. I'd actually prefer Taurasi there. I think her passing and vision is better.
Sass

PostPosted: 07/28/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP 4 sounds so wrong. Shocked

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/28/08 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Cappie played with the Olympic team before she was great at the point spot..she was sharing the ball and running the offense well..(aka, why this season I was like "Cappie, WTF")

PostPosted: 07/28/08 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
while Minnesota guard Candice Wiggins, Connecticut guard Lindsay Whalen, New York guard Ashley Battle, and Sacramento forward Nicole Powell will host a reading event at a Boys & Girls club in San Francisco and be at wine tasting event that evening.

hey we're on break for the next month... lets get sloshed!!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/28/08 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
We joked about the fight, moreso making fun of them," Bird continued. "How Katie was the peacemaker, and somebody said when Lisa fell, it looked like she was a calf coming out of its womb.

Laughing

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 07/28/08 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
Quote:
We joked about the fight, moreso making fun of them," Bird continued. "How Katie was the peacemaker, and somebody said when Lisa fell, it looked like she was a calf coming out of its womb.

Laughing

Such an incredibly accurate description. Where did that come from, I didn't see it in the actual blog?

PostPosted: 07/28/08 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Shed wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

Such an incredibly accurate description. Where did that come from, I didn't see it in the actual blog?

look to the side, there are other entries..

it didn't say who said it though..haha..

PostPosted: 07/29/08 2:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it me or did the WNBA miss an opportunity to introduce the San Francisco Community to the League.

I am on the Board of a Community Center in San Fran...My Kids knew nothing about this camp Boucek is putting on. I guess the camps wasn't for My kids. Which Boys and Girls club are they suppose to be reading at? We have school age kids that would have been thrilled to have Powell read to them.

I looked on the Monarchs site and on the W site. Nothing. or if it is there I had to look way too hard to find it. Mandatory Minimums will not take this league to the next level.

Expect Great??? More Like My Life on the D-List.

But on a positve note... I am glad Miss Powell has time to go drink wine and hobnob with SF's finest. Lets hope she can sweeze in some drill time, so our max salary can buy us a play who can consistantly create her own shot.

I'd rather be trapped in someone else's dutch oven than deal with the "breath of fresh air" Gavin Newsom would bring to Sacramento.
That's change NO-ONE can believe in.
lilcrc

PostPosted: 07/29/08 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^ I'm with ya there. I'm sure the recap of these events will be up on the Monarchs site once they are over...

And maybe if our starting 2 guard hadn't been so preoccupied with making travel arrangements for the grown ass adults in her family (maybe they need one of those "How to book a trip on Orbitz" classes)... she could've hit water from a boat.

(from Jayda's 'Monarchs game thread' blog)

Quote:
"It's been difficult off the court more than anything -- all the logistics that come along with getting your travel itinerary and getting your family there," said Lawson, whose husband and parents among others are making the trip to Beijing. "Once I got here, I could focus on this team and trying to get this win."

Really Kara, your focus always should've been on the team, let everyone else handle their stuff. It's not like you JUST found out you were going to China, for crap's sake.

PostPosted: 07/29/08 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="lilcrc"]^ I'm with ya there. I'm sure the recap of these events will be up on the Monarchs site once they are over...

And maybe if our starting 2 guard hadn't been so preoccupied with making travel arrangements for the grown ass adults in her family (maybe they need one of those "How to book a trip on Orbitz" classes)... she could've hit water from a boat.

(from Jayda's 'Monarchs game thread' blog)

Quote:
"It's been difficult off the court more than anything -- all the logistics that come along with getting your travel itinerary and getting your family there," said Lawson, whose husband and parents among others are making the trip to Beijing. "Once I got here, I could focus on this team and trying to get this win."

Really Kara, your focus always should've been on the team, let everyone else handle their stuff. It's not like you JUST found out you were going to China, for crap's sake.[/quote]

Kara found out less than a month ago, so when did you expect her to start making arrangements

Shed

PostPosted: 07/29/08 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet AD is soooo happy to see Jayda at training camp. I wonder if we'll see any direct quotes from her...doubt it. Laughing

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/29/08 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Kara found out less than a month ago, so when did you expect her to start making arrangements

Let's be real. Kara knew she was going to Beijing before everyone on the outside knew. It's not like she found out yesterday.

With your starting SG stressing about making travel arrangements for her family to Beijing and your starting SF sloshing around in San Fran for a couple of days, I'm starting to think that Alana Beard can't join this team soon enough.

Mathies to LA 2013
DTP

PostPosted: 07/29/08 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have a month off, what's wrong with Powell taking a few days off in San Fran to enjoy herself? If I played year round like her I'd be doing the samething.

caune

PostPosted: 07/29/08 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
CP4 as point (for a bit). Eeeeeh. I'd actually prefer Taurasi there. I think her passing and vision is better.

umm, Cappie ran the point at the end of most of those WNBA finals games...you know, the ones where her team won a Championship Shocked
Her strenghth is that the opponent doesn't know if she is going to drive, stop and pop or pass...keeps 'em guessing Wink

PostPosted: 07/29/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jayda's Blog Day 2
Apparently it's all by-gones with AD and Jayda:
Quote:
Interviewed Donovan after the session and actually got a direct smile my way following a question I asked. So, I'm happy to report that whatever ban I did have appears to be over. I'll have that feature on her as the Games approach.

PostPosted: 07/29/08 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Big Syl is doing her thing! Cool

PostPosted: 07/29/08 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
They have a month off, what's wrong with Powell taking a few days off in San Fran to enjoy herself? If I played year round like her I'd be doing the samething.

You're right. There's nothing wrong with a go-to player going 3-10 in important games. Let her slosh away in the Bay Area. Sorry for entertaining the idea of her actually taking time to work on that jump shot or awkward-looking dribble drive. Rolling Eyes

Mathies to LA 2013
DTP

PostPosted: 07/29/08 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
DTP wrote:

You're right. There's nothing wrong with a go-to player going 3-10 in important games. Let her slosh away in the Bay Area. Sorry for entertaining the idea of her actually taking time to work on that jump shot or awkward-looking dribble drive. Rolling Eyes

Oh so because she had a bad game she's supposed to spend all 30 something days off shooting all day every day? Right. What player right now isn't taking a little vacation off? They all deserve it, maybe she's fatigued.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/29/08 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Oh so because she had a bad game she's supposed to spend all 30 something days off shooting all day every day? Right. What player right now isn't taking a little vacation off? They all deserve it, maybe she's fatigued.

Bad game? Are you effing serious? Rolling Eyes She's had a bad season shooting the ball. Just check her stats. When's the last time she shot over 40% from the field in a single game? I'd sure like to know myself. I'm not advocating her using her entire vacation on fixing her shot, but for you to suggest that she's been doing a good or even a decent job is ridiculous.

GET REAL! She deserves a break, but she's not special and does not need to be coddled like some child. There are players who spend time playing overseas yet manage to come back to the WNBA and shoot 40% or better from the field. For what the Monarchs are paying her, that's the least she could fucking do. Gotdamn.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 07/29/08 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Just check her stats. When's the last time she shot over 40% from the field in a single game? I'd sure like to know myself.

In her next to last game before the break, Powell shot 4/7.

PostPosted: 07/29/08 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
DTP wrote:

Bad game? Are you effing serious? Rolling Eyes She's had a bad season shooting the ball. Just check her stats. When's the last time she shot over 40% from the field in a single game? I'd sure like to know myself. I'm not advocating her using her entire vacation on fixing her shot, but for you to suggest that she's been doing a good or even a decent job is ridiculous.

GET REAL! She deserves a break, but she's not special and does not need to be coddled like some child. There are players who spend time playing overseas yet manage to come back to the WNBA and shoot 40% or better from the field. For what the Monarchs are paying her, that's the least she could fucking do. Gotdamn.

I don't follow Sacramento or Nicole Powell, I could really careless about how her or Sacramento is doing right now but to criticize her for taking a little 4 days vacation like everyone else in the league is doing is ridiculous. And actually, she gets only 4 days off compared to other teams like Detroit and San Antonio who are getting 9 days off but you don't see San Antonio or Detroit fans complaining. Basketball is a game, let me remind you and she has a freakin month off, are you seriously going to complain about her taking 4 days off in that month? Just wow... Max player or not, taking 4 days off out of 30 something isn't going to make or break her season.

I guess you're one of those people that think the players are supposed to eat, sleep, and breathe basketball 24/7. I've seen players go out and party or whatever after a loss, it happens, get over it.

paigeme

PostPosted: 07/29/08 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Jayda's Blog Day 2
Apparently it's all by-gones with AD and Jayda:
Quote:
Interviewed Donovan after the session and actually got a direct smile my way following a question I asked. So, I'm happy to report that whatever ban I did have appears to be over. I'll have that feature on her as the Games approach.

All by-gones? Was there conflict between the two?

PostPosted: 07/29/08 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting away from the aspect of Powell and rest vs. practicing.....since I understand both sides of that argument.

I've never quite understood how a player with her size, ball-handling ability and passing ability has not been a little more multi-dimensional offensively. She's one of the few players at the time that I actually saw play in college, and if you would have told me that years later her main value offensively would be mostly as a streaky three-point shooter, I'd have been shocked. I watch her play, and I still think there's untapped potential in there. She's got enough going for her that she should be better than low 30's on her two point shots....and she should have more than 1.4 apg with her ability. So, while I think a few days off isn't going to kill her, I can totally understand the frustration of a fan of the team, since this appears to be a player who should be playing a lot better than she does.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/29/08 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Powell's only ever shot over 38% from the field for a season once in her 5-year WNBA career (and that was her rookie year at only 41%, when she only shot 4 times per game). Shooting under 40% is pretty much her standard level and has been for quite some time, and the Monarchs knew that when they signed her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: