RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Whalen quickly becoming Sun fan favorite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherfan

PostPosted: 06/23/05 4:15 pm    ::: Whalen quickly becoming Sun fan favorite Reply Reply with quote

Women's basketball fans in this state have treated Geno Auriemma's players like members of their own families for at least the past 10 years.
But it hasn't taken long for Lindsay Whalen to earn that same affection.

By: Jon Erickson Jr., Journal Inquirer

"Lindsay has proven herself from Day 1," Sun forward Nykesha Sales said. "It didn't take her long at all to get in there and step up for us and allow us to do some great things. She is definitely going to be a big part of this team for hopefully a long time. I think the fans know that, and we do too. That's why they show their appreciation."
Sales knows first-hand what that adoration is like. She has played in front of Connecticut fans for 11 years, counting high school, and helped lead the Huskies to their first NCAA title in 1995. She knows how high the level of praise from the fans can get and is already seeing the same appreciation for Whalen's play.
"I think she is already there. It didn't take long at all," Sales said. "In fact, before her first year was over, she was there. This year, it's like she is part of that big family. I don't know why the fans caught on to her as fast as they did, but she does a lot of great things for us."

Read more
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14744832&BRD=985&PAG=461&dept_id=161561&rfi=6

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html

Last edited by gopherfan on 06/23/05 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/23/05 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where's he been that it took him a year to write this article! We've been all over Lindsay from her first day!!!!!

gopherfan

PostPosted: 06/23/05 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
where's he been that it took him a year to write this article! We've been all over Lindsay from her first day!!!!!

I got to give you guys Journalist props though they always write such nice articles on the sun.

Want your bad romance

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 06/23/05 5:21 pm    ::: conn journos Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut gets great newspaper coverage: why? One reason: the Conn papers (Courant and Day, and one level down from them the Conn Post and the Norwich Bulletin) already have beat reporters for WCBB, and sports section editors take the sport seriously enough to assign features. Once you're in that habit from October till April, you may as well keep it up from May through September, especially if your local pro team is winning!

The competition may also help: if you don't run a Sun story, your rival papers might. Same thing in Seattle and in the Twin Cities to some extent, though it doesn't seem to help in NYC.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 06/23/05 5:33 pm    ::: Re: conn journos Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Connecticut gets great newspaper coverage: why? One reason: the Conn papers (Courant and Day, and one level down from them the Conn Post and the Norwich Bulletin) already have beat reporters for WCBB, and sports section editors take the sport seriously enough to assign features. Once you're in that habit from October till April, you may as well keep it up from May through September, especially if your local pro team is winning!

The competition may also help: if you don't run a Sun story, your rival papers might. Same thing in Seattle and in the Twin Cities to some extent, though it doesn't seem to help in NYC.

Sorry but Twin Cities is falling fast in my book Evil or Very Mad NY ani't the only area.
As I recall, I was at a home gm last night but wouldn't know it by the St Paul P-Press, they ran an AP article, on line anyway, go figure ?
Anyone check the hard copy ?

Up props to the beat writers in Sac town, Seattle & CT Exclamation

gopherfan

PostPosted: 06/23/05 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The startribune dose a nice job with there articles on the Lynx's. I have to give some props to Pam Schmid for her work not just the articles on the Lynx's but for the Gophers too.

Want your bad romance

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 06/23/05 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
The startribune dose a nice job with there articles on the Lynx's. I have to give some props to Pam Schmid for her work not just the articles on the Lynx's but for the Gophers too.

I agree.

I suspect that Ray Richardson (Pi Press Lynx and Gopher beat reporter) is on vacation: the Pi Press usually send reporters to home games, and they're a smaller outfit than the Strib, so they might not have anyone to cover for him. But they should.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 06/23/05 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea I suppose since there not going to send Charley Walters out there. Wasn’t he the one that said he wasn’t going to write any articles on the lynx's? but yet he like to things up.

Want your bad romance

MNfan22

PostPosted: 06/23/05 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

I suspect that Ray Richardson (Pi Press Lynx and Gopher beat reporter) is on vacation: the Pi Press usually send reporters to home games, and they're a smaller outfit than the Strib, so they might not have anyone to cover for him. But they should.

Charlie Walters is just a sports gossip columnist. He covers nothing but knows all Confused

If it weren't for Pam Schmid we would have little coverage of the Lynx at all. Mike Rand does an ok job on the Gophs but I miss Pam covering them.

As for the P-Press, Ray Rich is free to take all the vacation he wants this summer cuz he is not the P-Press Lynx beat reporter. I wish he was. I've told him so. He dose an OUTSTANDING job covering the Gophs. At the last home gm Ray must have been covering for Tim Leighton who last I know was supposed to be on the beat. Now if Tim is on vacation ok but they still didn't think enough to have someone cover the gm. Short staffed, heck hire a part time intern. Not acceptable in my book. But I'll stop my rant & maybe take it over to the MN board Arrow

sparkfan33

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Terry for the LA Times is a great WCBB and SPARKS writer. He also writes about other teams. He has tremendous respect for the Women's Game, and he is very approachable at the SPARKS game. He is there every home game.

I remember his article "Clash of the Titans" about the 2004 College Players. I was one fine article! Thanks Mike.

The bad news is that the LA Times does not give good coverage overall especially in the print version. Plus, the damn SPARKS do nothing in the way of marketing. Oh, and the SPARKS website is one of the greatest! Dripping heavy sarcasm!

Sass

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know jack about Whalen, but I was impressed last night with the way she showed concern for her teammates on the bench. The few minutes she was sitting there, she would say a word to a teammate as she sat down, pat her on the leg and turn back to the game. Little things tell me all I need to know about a person.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
LTechLennox22

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen is getting more props this season. She was WAY over rated last season like how McCarville is this season.

Coincidence that they both came from Minnesota and need to ease up on the eating and get in shape.

Lindsay gets some good baskets when she needs to and can pass ok-but she is slow for a point guard. Just plain slow. I give her maybe 4 more seasons unless she slims down and can play some defense.

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Coincidence that they both came from Minnesota and need to ease up on the eating and get in shape.

Lindsay gets some good baskets when she needs to and can pass ok-but she is slow for a point guard. Just plain slow. I give her maybe 4 more seasons unless she slims down and can play some defense.

You've got troll written all over you, so don't think you're home free, also you're on borrowed time.

Reb the Admin

LTechLennox22

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

borrowed time?? your too funny Reb

one day I am fine then people attack me and again you never do a thing but cut me off-then allow me to come back on.

you call that being a troll-or you favoring other board members who do nothing but kiss ass to you??

Is that a fair question?

Oh, I forgot-my opinion here is what your all upset about I bet.

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTechLennox22 wrote:
borrowed time?? your too funny Reb

one day I am fine then people attack me and again you never do a thing but cut me off-then allow me to come back on.

you call that being a troll-or you favoring other board members who do nothing but kiss ass to you??

Is that a fair question?

Oh, I forgot-my opinion here is what your all upset about I bet.

Bye.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 06/23/05 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aw, I didn't even get to wave good-bye ...

PostPosted: 06/24/05 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTechLennox22 wrote:
Whalen is getting more props this season. She was WAY over rated last season like how McCarville is this season.

Hummm, JMO, I don't see any compaison w/Whalen's situation & McCarville's.

Whalen #4 pick, got drafted by a coach who knew exactly what she could do & bring to his team. The role was there for her & she stepped in just fine. Got her props early enough last yr to the tune of being the only rookie people in cyber space voted in for the pretend all-star gm in NYC. For whatever weakness she has she still does her job very well.

McCarville a #1 pick, on the other hand got drafted by a coach who seemed to have no idea what she was going to do w/her. I like J-Mac but Char was not the place for her. Now she's not healthy, her mom has a serious illness, the coash seems to be clueless & the team sucks. J-Mac's being over rated is far overshadowed by the Mad Scientist running the team.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 06/24/05 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:

Laughing

Ha & I was trying to be somewhat reasonable. Guess I should learn to leave those who show 'troll like symptoms' alone Wink

herrade

PostPosted: 06/24/05 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:

i wonder what reincarnation will bring us next...

PostPosted: 06/24/05 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
AAEmotion wrote:

LoJacksBitch Laughing
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/24/05 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To get back on topic and away from bad rubbish, the Hartford Courant is the biggest paper in CT, and prior to the success last year, we only got the little block along with the dog sled results as well.

It's amazing what winning does for your press coverage.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 06/24/05 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
To get back on topic and away from bad rubbish, the Hartford Courant is the biggest paper in CT, and prior to the success last year, we only got the little block along with the dog sled results as well.

It's amazing what winning does for your press coverage.

Everybody loves a winner!

When I first started attending Uconn games, the place was empty.
Come to think of it, tickets were pretty easy to come by this past season too.

Judy

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/24/05 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
herrade wrote:
AAEmotion wrote:

LoJacksBitch :lol:

Hey...I resemble that remark! He can't have that handle...

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/24/05 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Keegan wrote:
LoJacksBitch Laughing

Hey...I resemble that remark! He can't have that handle...

Join the queue Laughing
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/24/05 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will gladly follow your lead, Keegs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: