RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No. 2 spot would be no silver lining for Donovan.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/22/08 10:56 am    ::: No. 2 spot would be no silver lining for Donovan. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/olympics/view/2008_07_22_No__2_spot_would_be_no_silver_lining_for_U_S__women_s_hoops_coach/srvc=sports&position=recent

Quote:
And she worries about the team being perceived as a failure.

"It used to be we just showed up and picked up a gold medal," Donovan said. "Not anymore."

Donovan won’t coach the Olympic team in 2012 – she already knows that and is fine with it.

So this is Donovan’s one shot. Even at 6-foot-8, she knows it’s far from a tip-in.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 07/22/08 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Donovan won’t coach the Olympic team in 2012 – she already knows that and is fine with it.

Thank god, now get rid of the committee and start picking player who should really be on the team. Also I think Mike should be the next coach there's no question he could lead the US to gold.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
CRASH

PostPosted: 07/22/08 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

Thank god, now get rid of the committee and start picking player who should really be on the team. Also I think Mike should be the next coach there's no question he could lead the US to gold.

Oh come on gopherfan;

Just cus MikeT is rational, trusts his team, understands his bench and doesn't publicly berate his players... does that really make him better?

myt

PostPosted: 07/22/08 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

Oh come on gopherfan;

Just cus MikeT is rational, trusts his team, understands his bench and doesn't publicly berate his players... does that really make him better?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am glad Team USA will be getting a new coach for the next Olympics! Very Happy

We just have to get through this on with AD. Confused

PostPosted: 07/22/08 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Donovan has a serious disadvantage to overcome coaching basketball. I can't believe it took me so long to realise that she's really a space alien!
Look at her hand. Does it look like a human hand? I think not!
It makes perfect sense really. Space aliens don't play basketball, so how could they develop a coach?.

*edited once because I'm having a senior moment, a very long one. Confused

abontorab9

PostPosted: 07/22/08 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know I was always wondering what was the matter! And finally, finally someone figured it out! I knew there was something funny about those hands...

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 07/22/08 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm, I have noticed this happening this year on some of these threads, Donovan bashing. When did this start and why do people seem to have such disregard for her as a coach? As a Storm fan I was there when we won the championship in '04. She was as approachable as Lin Dunn had been as the preivious and first Storm coach, maybe not as "refreshing" or "quotable" as one of the Seattle sportswriters said to me after her hiring, but she did lead the team to a championship while also being the Director of Player Personnel. I mean I just don't understand where all the hate is coming from. I met her many times and she was always nice and gracious and would even ask me about the previous game or how I thought the season was going or would go. She was definitely no Dunn, but then again, who is?

abontorab9

PostPosted: 07/22/08 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure she's very nice. I disagree with her style of coaching and I do not think she should be the USA coach.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/22/08 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not terribly complicated. She spent three years doing a thoroughly ordinary job as coach/GM of the Storm (personally I think that's kind), and the team was showing no signs of improving (or even signs of life). She was also the first coach of a US team in a decade to fail to win the gold medal at a major international tournament.

That'll get people complaining about you.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/22/08 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Thank god, now get rid of the committee and start picking player who should really be on the team.

By forming a different committee? The coaching staff already receives over 90 percent of the players they request...

CRASH

PostPosted: 07/22/08 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
Hmmm, I have noticed this happening this year on some of these threads, Donovan bashing. When did this start and why do people seem to have such disregard for her as a coach? As a Storm fan I was there when we won the championship in '04. She was as approachable as Lin Dunn had been as the preivious and first Storm coach, maybe not as "refreshing" or "quotable" as one of the Seattle sportswriters said to me after her hiring, but she did lead the team to a championship while also being the Director of Player Personnel. I mean I just don't understand where all the hate is coming from. I met her many times and she was always nice and gracious and would even ask me about the previous game or how I thought the season was going or would go. She was definitely no Dunn, but then again, who is?

Hey dawg;

see my post above.

caution; sarcasm alert!

pilight

PostPosted: 07/22/08 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Thank god, now get rid of the committee and start picking player who should really be on the team.

By forming a different committee? The coaching staff already receives over 90 percent of the players they request...

With Donovan as coach, that's not a good thing. Her personnel decisions have been atrociously bad throughout her WNBA career.

Next year, when she's coaching the Mystics, it will be business as usual in Washington...

PostPosted: 07/22/08 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

With Donovan as coach, that's not a good thing. Her personnel decisions have been atrociously bad throughout her WNBA career.

Next year, when she's coaching the Mystics, it will be business as usual in Washington...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/22/08 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

P...you know you're not right for that... Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/22/08 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:

Here we go with assumptions again, or perhaps I should have been more clear. I am not an Anne Donovan Hater

-I have always admired Donovan. I did question whether she was the right coach for the Storm the last couple years but never hated her, or trashed her. Have in some instances defended her.
In fact one of my favorite Storm memories is of an interaction with her.

-I saw the picture and couldn't help myself. I was just playing.

- You have to admit that her hand looks really strange in the pic. Or don't. Whatever.

-I think it was really just the perspective of the camera angle. Her hand was closer to the lens and so looked disproportionately large.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

She's not the only coach on the staff...

gopherfan

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

Oh come on gopherfan;

Do you have a better choice as to who should be the new coach? He has been with the USA team and could do just as good a AD. He did take his team to two straight WNBA finals and has been in the playoffs every year. BTW, he agreed with AD and the committee as to why Lindsay didn't get picked I doubt it would come down to favorism.

Want your bad romance

pilight

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
CRASH wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

Oh come on gopherfan;

Do you have a better choice as to who should be the new coach? It only fair since he has been with the USA team know just as much as the next person. He did take his team to two straight WNBA finals and has been in the playoffs every year. BTW, he agreed with AD and the committee as to why Lindsay didn't get picked.

There is a coach who was in the last two finals, and actually won one of them. Dunno if he would put up with USAB's crap, however.

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

With the new coach coming in 2012 maybe Sue better start worrying about her starting spot since maybe it won't just get handed to her anymore.

Want your bad romance

CRASH

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
CRASH wrote:
gopherfan wrote:
Quote:

Oh come on gopherfan;

Do you have a better choice as to who should be the new coach? He has been with the USA team and could do just as good a AD. He did take his team to two straight WNBA finals and has been in the playoffs every year. BTW, he agreed with AD and the committee as to why Lindsay didn't get picked I doubt it would come down to favorism.

apparently sarcasm is lost on some people Rolling Eyes

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:

I don't know either, she sure got a lot of credability as the first woman to win the WNBA championship, a 100 wins, andfans not liking her as a coach should look at their own coachs, Mike T doesn't have one to his name. What makes anyone thing he will do better? I know why SASS and Becky fans hate her. Watch her now take on a college team and become the next Pat Summit Laughing

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
pilight

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
Watch her now take on a college team and become the next Pat Summit Laughing

Donovan's first attempt at college coaching was not a success.

PostPosted: 07/22/08 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

With the new coach coming in 2012 maybe Sue better start worrying about her starting spot since maybe it won't just get handed to her anymore.

Handed to her? Come on! I know you like Whalen, but let's be real. Sue did not get the position handed to her. Sue Bird has given lots of time to USA Basketball comittments and has much more international experience than Whalen ever has. Sue was in Athens in 2004, and Whalen wasn't. Whether you think Sue is a great PG or not is up to you, but she has experience and has sacraficed a lot to garner that starting position and it's well earned IMO. Many people probably though Dawn Staley wasn't on the top of her game in 2004, but she started and did a good job of running the team, something I expect to see from Sue in Beijing.

PostPosted: 07/22/08 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't expect Whalen to be starting point guard but I do know she belongs on the team and so dose Becky. Their are other guards that could give Sue a run for her money for that spot instead of obligating to Sue just of her commitments do it so everyone gets a fair chance at that starting spot.

Quote:
Sue Bird has given lots of time to USA Basketball comittments and has much more international experience than Whalen ever has. Sue was in Athens in 2004, and Whalen wasn't.

Okay fine but Sue has been in the league longer then Lindsay. Whalen didn't start her international experience until 06 when she played for Russia. Between 04- 05 did they ask her to train with team USA I don't remember hearing anything about that.

Want your bad romance

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/22/08 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Okay fine but Sue has been in the league longer then Lindsay. Whalen didn't start her international experience until 06 when she played for Russia. Between 04- 05 did they ask her to train with team USA I don't remember hearing anything about that.

Well, sometimes you have to wait your turn. Seniority isn't fair, but it happens. I'm sure Whalen will get a chance in 2012 whether Thibault is the coach or not. But let's not act like Sue has been sitting on her ass and was just handed the starting position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: