RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Q&A with Anne Donovan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/08 6:42 am    ::: Q&A with Anne Donovan Reply Reply with quote

http://blogs.indystar.com/feverinsider/2008/07/a_chat_with_ann.html

Quote:
It was a great decision to (not coach in the WNBA) for this time period

PostPosted: 07/19/08 8:32 am    ::: Re: Q&A with Anne Donovan Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://blogs.indystar.com/feverinsider/2008/07/a_chat_with_ann.html

Quote:
It was a great decision to (not coach in the WNBA) for this time period

Always a great decision to be a quitter. Laughing j/k as the players obviously didn't want her as coach anymore.

Quote:
There was no sales job I had to do to the committee. The committee was well aware of how important she is.

straight from the horse's mouth, she does have her input as to who is on the team.

PostPosted: 07/19/08 10:48 am    ::: Re: Q&A with Anne Donovan Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
straight from the horse's mouth, she does have her input as to who is on the team.

Also straight from AD, she doesn't have the final say.

PostPosted: 07/19/08 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anne Donovan is a Copper quality medalist who is the George W. Bush of Womens' Basketball coaches. She's a lifelong C-student. All the studying and preparation time in the world can only hope to get her to a B-grade quality.

She better hope that players, like Leslie and Taurasi, can control and lead this bunch to Gold while on the floor.

There's still time for impeachment or a step-down............at least that's what I'm hoping for.

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 07/19/08 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Anne Donovan is a Copper quality medalist who is the George W. Bush of Womens' Basketball coaches. She's a lifelong C-student. All the studying and preparation time in the world can only hope to get her to a B-grade quality.

She better hope that players, like Leslie and Taurasi, can control and lead this bunch to Gold while on the floor.

There's still time for impeachment or a step-down............at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Like USA BBall is going to make that big a change this close to the games?

It amazes me - if USA wins gold it will be in spite of Donovan, and if they don't it will be because of Donovan. No matter what she does, some people are going to find fault. CB used to defend Anne until Anne said how she felt about Becky Hammon playing for the Russians, and then all of a sudden Donovan's name might as well have been Shit.

Lauren Jackson once said that Donovan was the best coach she had ever played for. Jayda Evans quoted her in the book about the Storm's championship season. Donovan reportedly invested a lot of time and coaching into Jackson.

I still think everyone has the right to their opinion. I am just finding that some peoples' opinions are subject to emotional responses to things other people say.

If I got mad at everyone who ever said that they thought I was wrong, I would have no friends left. And I would be petty.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
shrrew

PostPosted: 07/21/08 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Donovan gave intelligent thoughtful answers to the interview questions. It was a good article and worth taking the time to read.

PostPosted: 07/21/08 9:42 am    ::: Re: Q&A with Anne Donovan Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
CB wrote:

Also straight from AD, she doesn't have the final say.

When I say "she does have input" that infers she doesn't have final say.

PostPosted: 07/21/08 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't particulalry care for Donavan as the HC; Lawon over Whalen is a travesty; and Douglas was knocked out by her own (hobbled) teammate. Cash didn't deserve to be on the team, and AB I could take or leave. It's kinda like deciding on the 64 teams for March Maddness - those last 4 will always get questioned and could have gone any number of ways.

Still, it is what it is, and Team USA still has what it takes to win the gold.

PostPosted: 07/21/08 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Like USA BBall is going to make that big a change this close to the games?

It amazes me - if USA wins gold it will be in spite of Donovan, and if they don't it will be because of Donovan. No matter what she does, some people are going to find fault. CB used to defend Anne until Anne said how she felt about Becky Hammon playing for the Russians, and then all of a sudden Donovan's name might as well have been Shit.

Lauren Jackson once said that Donovan was the best coach she had ever played for. Jayda Evans quoted her in the book about the Storm's championship season. Donovan reportedly invested a lot of time and coaching into Jackson.

I still think everyone has the right to their opinion. I am just finding that some peoples' opinions are subject to emotional responses to things other people say.

If I got mad at everyone who ever said that they thought I was wrong, I would have no friends left. And I would be petty.

That was funny RavenDog. Laughing

2old, so what if I changed my opinion of Anne. People do things and that changes your opinion of them. What she said about my favorite player who has an impeccable reputation in this league according to Lieberman is very very objectionable and offending to me.

I have the right to lose almost total respect for Anne Donovan and that is what has happened.

And you know what you can do with your petty veiled insult about petty.

PostPosted: 07/21/08 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well - I didn't really intend it to be personal, but if you thought it was directed at you, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Edited to add:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-07-20-uscoach-donovan_N.htm

"The USA (with five) and USSR/Unified (three) have won all the gold in women's Olympic basketball. Donovan, a child of the Cold War, still thinks of Russia as the USA's most bitter rival. That's why, she says, she initially questioned the patriotism of Becky Hammon, the San Antonio Silver Stars guard who plans to play for Russia in the Olympics. (Hammon, 31, is from South Dakota but plays for a team in Moscow during the WNBA offseason and is a naturalized Russian citizen for basketball purposes.)

"I never should have said that," Donovan says. "Look, I lived through two boycotts and the men's loss to the Soviets in 1972 and the hockey win in 1980. I'm steeped in the history of that rivalry. For Becky and a new generation it is a different world and a different time."

There - she said it. She, too, is guilty of making short-sighted comments based on her emotional reaction to things. Get over it, CB. We're all imperfect people with shortcomings of our own.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
CB

PostPosted: 07/21/08 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:
Well - I didn't really intend it to be personal, but if you thought it was directed at you, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Edited to add:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-07-20-uscoach-donovan_N.htm

"The USA (with five) and USSR/Unified (three) have won all the gold in women's Olympic basketball. Donovan, a child of the Cold War, still thinks of Russia as the USA's most bitter rival. That's why, she says, she initially questioned the patriotism of Becky Hammon, the San Antonio Silver Stars guard who plans to play for Russia in the Olympics. (Hammon, 31, is from South Dakota but plays for a team in Moscow during the WNBA offseason and is a naturalized Russian citizen for basketball purposes.)

"I never should have said that," Donovan says. "Look, I lived through two boycotts and the men's loss to the Soviets in 1972 and the hockey win in 1980. I'm steeped in the history of that rivalry. For Becky and a new generation it is a different world and a different time."

There - she said it. She, too, is guilty of making short-sighted comments based on her emotional reaction to things. Get over it, CB. We're all imperfect people with shortcomings of our own.

When you brought my name into your posts, it was personal. Your statements are petty themselves.

You can defend Donovan all you want, that's your opinion, but it was a stupid thing for her to say and some of her former players made the comment they believed that is something she would say. Not exactly ringing endorsement for Donovan. All the negative publicity has her speaking again. No sympathy for her here, especially as she was trying to cause Becky some negativity with her statement.

This board has traditionally dumped on Donovan for years, and I've only recently seen the light, so don't try zeroing in on me with this one. Laughing

Last edited by CB on 07/21/08 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/21/08 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck in Beijing, Anne! I'll be rooting for ya!

PostPosted: 07/21/08 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Good luck in Beijing, Anne! I'll be rooting for ya!

Anne....I hope USA does well IN SPITE OF YOU Evil or Very Mad

kage

PostPosted: 07/21/08 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever. She's our head coach now and no one knows how she'll coach -- whether it'll be the 2004 W championship run or the lackluster results afterward. Either way, she's our coach now and that means supporting the team and its coaching staff.

Best of luck to Donovan and Team USA in China!
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 07/21/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can support the team and NOT support her...we do it all the time in the WNBA

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/21/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Coach Donavan

GO RUSSIA!!! With Love from the Hammonites Laughing

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/21/08 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
Hey Coach Donavan

LMFAO!!

shrrew

PostPosted: 07/21/08 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
Hey Coach Donavan

You made me laugh so hard I am crying!

Location: Bus Town/ The Hall/Cap City...Whatever they call it these days

PostPosted: 07/21/08 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if russia wins gold: (especially against the usa)

1. more wnba players are going to jump ship
2. hammon may need to be put in witness protection when she returns

CB

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
Hey Coach Donavan

You made me laugh so hard I am crying!

Laughing Laughing

awww cute doggie!

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MH122 wrote:

H shall we be in charge of this?

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MH122 wrote:

1. more wnba players are going to jump ship

You dont seriously think its going to come down on Hammon right? Thats ridiculous! If anyone but the USA wins gold everyone knows whos fault it is... its Team USA's fault.

Hammon has been gaining support for her decision for months now and she is going to be fine, whether she wins a medal or not.

It is funny to me how people were so quick to criticize Hammon for willing to play for Russia but then laughed about how it would have been funny if Miller or Nolan would have made the squad and she didnt. And now those same people are now wondering what the hell they are going to do if Russia actually wins gold Laughing

Hammon is a big threat eh?? Cause if she wasn't that statement wouldnt have came out of your mouth or anyone elses.

It all boils down to Team USA picking players that arent the best. Period.

With that being said..........

Shoots&Scores

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:35 pm    ::: Childlike Behavior! Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
Hey Coach Donavan

CB=Childlike Behavior! How old are you? 6 years old!

(Don't look for a response back..it's NOT going to happen!)

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:41 pm    ::: Re: Childlike Behavior! Reply Reply with quote

Shoots&Scores wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
Hey Coach Donavan

CB=Childlike Behavior! How old are you? 6 years old!

(Don't look for a response back..it's NOT going to happen!)

umm...don't look now but you just responded

PostPosted: 07/21/08 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:

You dont seriously think its going to come down on Hammon right? Thats ridiculous! If anyone but the USA wins gold everyone knows whos fault it is... its Team USA's fault.

Exactly, the whole team from the coach to the bench, no one will be more responsible for winning or losing, but Coach D will be damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Hammon is a great player but she isn't the best, if she had that kind of power then SASS would have won the championship last year.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: