RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

why are you a women's basketball fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclair

PostPosted: 07/18/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was the first WNBA game the mister attended. "They play a more physical game than I expected," he said. Shocked

I knew he'd like it.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been a fan of pretty much all sports ever since I can remember (ever since I was little, I've watched baseball, football, basketball, etc., with my family) and basketball was always my favorite. I've been watching the NBA and men's college basketball with my dad since I was a couple years old (I knew the "one shining moment" song and the Sonics roster by the time I was 4) and was an official hoops junkie soon after, but I didn't really start watching women's basketball until '95 when UConn got so much press throughout their championship season. Being the tallest girl in my middle school class at the time, I became a fan of Rebecca Lobo, and soon I was devoted to the entire team. The Uconn-Tennessee rivalry drew me in even more, and in the early days I was actually a fan of both teams equally, but as time passed I became more and more of a Uconn devotee Smile. In '96 I followed the women's Olympic team religiously, and when the WNBA and ABL began the year after, I became a fan instantly. I got even more into college basketball in the late 90s when Uconn had Shea, Svetlana, Swin, Sue, Tamika, Asjha, in '00-'01 when Diana got to Uconn I became absolutely addicted Smile. Ever since then, with the Storm coming to Seattle and eventually drafting Lauren and Sue, Diana coming into the league, and the talent just continuing to build, I've been absolutely addicted to both the WNBA and college game. I live a couple hours away from Seattle, so I've only been able to go to 10 or so games at Key Arena, and I was lucky enough to attend a preseason Liberty game several years ago, but I keep up with games on a daily (and sometimes hourly haha) basis, especially with the W being in the summer when I'm out of school.

Oh, and I'm middle class white female, 21, currently attending college

"Taurasi has boundless energy and is still -- even during the national anthem, she is bouncing side-to-side. She frowned when informed that she was actually a calming influence with her words. "I say it in a fiery way, though," the Phoenix Mercury guard said."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/21/AR2008082103333.html

"If there ain't basketball in heaven, then I ain't going." - Diana Taurasi

It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts. " - John Wooden

Phoenix Mercury 2007 WNBA Champions
SayTownSpurs

PostPosted: 07/18/08 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I grew up around basketball. My dad would take me to Spurs games back in the old Hemisfair Arena when I was really young. My earliest memory of the Spurs was being held by my uncle down by the Spurs tunnel...and reaching out and grabbing David Robinson's massive bicep. He turned around and smiled at me. I don't remember how young I was exactly, but I was young. As soon as I was able to walk, I had a basketball in my hand. I played competitively for years, but lacked the talent to take my game to the next level. But it's my passion. I've also coached 7th grade girls.

I'm just a basketball fan. Mens, womens...it doesn't matter to me. I just love the game. And as for demographics...I'm a 19 (almost 20) year old Mexican-American, straight chick from San Antonio.

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
jaye

PostPosted: 07/19/08 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

Oh...and...ear infection this week. Bad enough to barely make it out of bed Wednesday. But definitely nowhere near severe enough for me to even consider missing the game last night.

take care of that....and i hope it gets better soon..... my son just got over one..... antibiotics are your friend.....

PostPosted: 07/19/08 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EC Basketball wrote:
Basketball is Basketball

Womens, Mens, Boys, Girls, Old, Young, High School, College, Pro, International, AAU, etc...

Love the game

There is no difference

It brings us all together

XXXXXXXX_______________________________________________

Very Happy
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/19/08 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This is not directed at sass, but I hate this question. I like lots of different sports; NFL, college football, baseball, tennis, golf, NASCAR, etc. Women's basketball is the only one that I've ever been asked this question about. If I start talking baseball, it's just understood that it has appeal. If I do the same for the WNBA, I'm often forced to justify my fandom. It's an insidious bit of sexism that seems directed entirely at women's team sports.

As for...

Quote:
There's sex in the WNBA? I must be buying tickets to a different section of the arena.

One of the great unspoken truths about the league is that WNBA games are a great place to pick up women. Shocked

I'll have to answer this question later when I can think clearer.

But in response to pilight's comment... I can be picked up too! Sadly, it hasn't happened... Crying or Very sad Being shy really stinks.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/19/08 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My mother was a woman and my father was a basketball.

PostPosted: 07/19/08 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a woman who grew up in a family that loved sports. Wasn't much on TV in the 50's - mainly boxing, but we watched them all. My brother coached Johnny Bench in high school (great baseball player for Cincy) and my family followed baseball fervently during that era - but I never got passionately "hooked" on baseball or any other sport. I LIKE most all sports alot, and might have a "team" I follow, but I am not passionate about them as I am women's BB.

Basketball was the only sport in my little town, and I was good at it. I played point guard. I was too short and slow to play in college, but when I went to college, I attended the women's games. So I guess you say, I've been a women's bb fan almost all my life. Still, I like all basketball, men's and women's at all levels.

I remember seeing Pete Maravich (sp?) play in the All College tournament in Oklahoma City. I was amazed, never seen anything like that. When I saw the Globe Trotters, I thought they were the most amazing basketball players EVER!!!

For me, I think I can identify with the women's game - I can feel myself "there". Even though I was never close to playing at the level the women play today, I ran some of the same plays, I made those shots, I fought for the ball, I faked, I shot that jump shot, and I understand the "game". I can't "feel" myself playing the men's game and I do not like the showboating of the college men's game or NBA - but because I love basketball, I will watch it.

Before I moved to Austin in 1985, I attended some college women's games, but not on a regular basis. I moved to Austin the year the University of Texas won the national championship and I have been a season ticket holder ever since. I like the family atmosphere of the fans at the UT women's games. It feels like "home" when I go to the games!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/19/08 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Oh...and...ear infection this week. Bad enough to barely make it out of bed Wednesday. But definitely nowhere near severe enough for me to even consider missing the game last night.

take care of that....and i hope it gets better soon..... my son just got over one..... antibiotics are your friend.....

Thanks. I'm taking Levaquin....I feel better than I did earlier in the week.

jaye

PostPosted: 07/19/08 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketball is basketball.....but there are definite differences in how it's played.....just like chicken is chicken but depending on how you prepare it..... the different dishes are like night and day.....todays' is a generation of instant in your face gratification..... especially among young males.....and the pow ....bang.....bam style of mens' basketball appeals to them.....as it does some of us also.....but their "either/or" attitude is really a shame....there's nothing wrong with liking more than one style of chicken.....

btw i'm neither under 25....nor over 40 with daughters just a guy that appreciates the womens' game for the skill these women have....i also am a fan of womens' boxing....altho it's being mismanaged into oblivion.....incidentally.....the majority of male boxing fans attitudes towards womens' boxing is much worse than what the wnba suffers.....and the reasons given are much more blatantly sexist.....

PostPosted: 07/19/08 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that I'm up and typing...

Another backstory. As a kid, never got into baseball, the Milwaukee Braves were distant, then gone, Never hooked up to the Milwaukee Brewers until the late seventies and when they switched to the NL in the late '90, I lost all interest. Baseball is a passing fancy.

My sport was football, Green Bay Packers stuff. Bart, Ray, Willie, the 60' era. Played in high school until injured my junior year.

Now basketball... Yeah, we had the Bucks. Championship too with Jabbar who unfortunatley didn't care too much for Milwaukee. Heard he made it big with some team in California. Haven't been that big of a deal since. Never got to play the sport myself, was too small, kinda large, uncoordinated, slow... you get the picture. But I was still on the team. Yeah, manager. Not a great job, but you get to sit on the bench and get a good view of the game. It's why I love sitting courtside today and how I learned some basketball. Wished I paid more attention.

Then after Graduation, there wasn't much happening until the high schools in the state started putting together girl's basketball teams. My best friend's sister was on the local high school team. She was pretty good too. To make an ugly story short, I developed a crush on my friend's sis, I did something stupid, and though we're still friends, it wasn't a pleasant time period.

Gave up on basketball for awhile. Brewers were still Brewers, Bucks were still Bucks, but the Packers were doing better. Got this guy from Kiln Mississippi, some no-name from the Atlanta Falcons. I hear people in Wisconsin still talk about him today.

In the mid 90's, Herb Kohl, owner of the Bucks gave a building to the University of Wisconsin. Called it the Kohl Center, I think... And during that time I was reading in the newspaper about one of the college teams that seemed to be doing pretty well, but weren't really playing in the new building much at first. That team was the UW Women's basketball team, coached by Jane Albright. Before that, I had just gotten out of college (MATC) and moved in with my first girlfriend. After she lost her job and moved back home to New York (Douglaston), I was left with not much to do in my spare time. So since I liked watching girls play basketball, and only lived 2 miles from the University, I decided to go to some UW games. I was hooked to women's collegiate basketball. Bought season tix and everything.

Then, in 1996, I watched the U.S. Olympic team win the gold medal for basketball. Can't remember the game, can't even remember where it was played, but shortly thereafter came the announcement the the NBA would develop a new league for women. I was immediately a fan. Couldn't wait to see the league startand where it was going to go. The only problem was I'm stuck here in Wisconsin where the news of the day is about Brewers, Bucks, Packers and Badgers, so I was extremely thrilled when Chicago finally got a team. And since the Badgers let Jane go, I've followed the W more than collegiate basketball, thouhg I shouldn't because I lose track of potential draftees... (But, with Jane's hiring at Neavda-Reno, I'm now a Wolfpack fan...)

Got all that? I'd rather watch women's basketball than any other sport. I really love the game and I like making the connections I've made both here and at all the venues I've been to. I plan to be a fan for life.

But let's make one other thing clear. It's "women's" basketball. I am a heterosexual male and I like watching women. I haven't lied to anybody here about that. I buy magazines like Playboy and not to read the articles. But I am not attending basketball games to hook up with women, players, coaches, fans, anything like that. I've been accused of that here (Wisconsin) and I learned my lesson a long time ago in the 80's that it's not worth the bother. I want to have great relationships with the people I meet in the WNBA and don't need the hassle or accusations from misinformed people. I just want to be a good friend to everyone I meet. What other people think of me is not important.

I really would like to meet more coaches, fans and players and make new friendships/relationships. Being shy gets in the way a lot. Being shy really bites.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Sass

PostPosted: 07/19/08 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all are some really interesting people. Smile Lovin it.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
nolanNaugustus!

PostPosted: 07/19/08 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really got into sports in high school. Then I was a very huge Allen Iverson fan, but when the Wnba started I slowly got attracted to the sport. My main reason for playing basketball was to learn to work together with others for one common goal and to better myself as a person. The sport itself teaches you leadership, responsiblitlies, and its fun, and you see all those things in the WNBA. Then as Detroit started to roll around i began getting drawn more and more into womens basketball, and i was a fan of Nolan when she was at Georgia with the little ball thing in her head lol. I also enjoyed watching the Lady Vols winning with Mique, Catchings, and Randle, as well as, Uconn winning with Sue Cash Tamika DT, and a whole lot more. I love the NBA, but personally I will take the WNBA anyday, and its getting more and more exciting every year. Now i get the pleasure of watching whats probably the most competitive year ever. Even if your not a fan of a team your going to tune in to the game. Im not a huge fan of Ny but i enough watching them play (cough Christon come to Det), or watching the Youngins at Minnesota to see what they will do next, or watching in my opinion the most exciting duo in the game today Cappo & DT, I know alot of people dont like det(2008 champs) or la but they bring alot to the game.

*** some people hate seeing others succeed***

Jay-Z - "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"
scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/19/08 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
My mother was a woman and my father was a basketball.

thanks for sharing, jammer, that explains sooo many things. Razz

PostPosted: 07/19/08 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
There's sex in the WNBA? I must be buying tickets to a different section of the arena. Smile

Sex? Sounds vaguely familiar, but I just can't quite place it.

I'm a fan of WBB simply because I am female and living vicariously through young women who are blessed to have the opportunity to play the sport competitively.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/08 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My older brother played bball and I watched and thought it cool so played with the boys in elementary school as much as possible since "girls don't play." In 5th grade the boys coach pulled me aside and told me I was banned. "You don't want to embarrass the boys do you?" From then on I was on a mission to get a girls team together. By 7th grade I had convinced a teacher to be the 'coach' and we made our own uniforms and arranged a few games. High School was a little more organized, altho we still made our own uniforms. I went to Stanford by grace of a non-athletic scholarship combined with working 20-30 hours week in all kinds of jobs and played both varsity field hockey and basketball. We played in a shed called 'the women's gym' and were only allowed to play in Maples Pavillion on special occasions. The few people who came to watch sat in folding chairs on the sidelines with their legs on the court. My junior year, Title 9 was passed...too late for me but what a blessing for all those who came after! I encouraged my nieces and one worked hard and got a college scholarship and was even MVP of her league and that was such a cool thing for proud auntie. I reffed high school boys and girls games until an old knee injury started bothering me again. So for me it's kind of a vicarious thing. I'm simply an old fart who loves the game and am so happy for all these ladies who are now able to make their dreams come true.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 07/19/08 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i grew up in indiana and had an older relative that had season tickets to the iu mens games. she was a rabid fan and i guess it rubbed off on me. we watched the hoosiers and the pacers and all the local high school games we could fit in. we saw more mens games than womens, but i don't think every school had a team back then. she signed me up to play at the ymca and boys club so i was playing (dis)organized ball from the 4th grade on. i had been playing since i could hold a ball - we had the town park right across the street from my house. my father played when he was in school and both of my brothers played.by the time i was 9 they were "coaching" me and wouldn't let me leave the court until i hit so many in a row from wherever they chose. i loved it and still do.
as far as womens or mens or nba or wnba or college...well it doesn't really matter to me. i just want to see pure passion and total team play. i want to watch players who will give it up for a better shot and dive on the floor even when they don't have a chance to get it. i want to watch players who run the floor and don't take a single possession off. i appreciate athleticism but i love someone who can make a perfect pass and will. i want to see players who will put out their hand to help the other team up and won't ever throw someone down(ala thugbika) for no apparent reason.
i started watching the w in 97. i lived in louisville and had seen the lib play on tv. i was immediately taken with vj and how hard she worked. so i became a lib fan. my gf was asst. manager at a kinko's and kym hampton came in one day. she chatted kym up and got me an auto'd photo. pretty cool. i am no longer a lib fan, but i still love vj and sue and spoon and so so. now i root for the fever cause in my book,catch is the best. i love whalen and lojack. have much respect for dt,pft and tweety. i think hammon's story is a great one-not drafted but worked her ass off to prove she belongs. loved perrot and was sad she went too soon.
i am so glad the league has endured despite the naysayers and the haters. it's basketball. it's all basketball.

PostPosted: 07/19/08 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[
Gee thanks! But when you're my age, when we say "sex" it's not exactly the same as when you say "sex." Come to my section of the arena, and you'll understand most completely.[/quote]

...just wondering how old you and I are? Do you think I'm young or old?

Herbert Hoover was going to put a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage. I guess I was that chicken.
It's very difficult to tell the ages of most. Probably the ones who bash the WNBA are youngsters, but the people who write usually express a mature thought, which could come from any age.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 07/19/08 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my take on my fandom:

I played lots of sports growing up - flag football, tennis, softball. I'm 47, and there weren't organized girls' leagues when I was growing up, except for HS and college. I remember asking my Mom why I couldn't play Little League, and she couldn't give me a good answer. She said years later it was a big regret of hers that she didn't push the issue on my behalf.

I was a peripheral bball fan until '96, big fan of ODU and Nancy/Anne. When I moved to Phx in '93, I wasn't working and got to watch all the finals games of the Suns vs the Bulls. That got me interested in basketball to start. Then, watching the Olympics of 1996 I became hooked. Like many, I had become disillusioned w/ the men's version of the sport. Here was a real team, checked egos at the door, and even better, women I could relate to. I was especially impressed by Michele Timms, her fire was quite noticeable. I cried when USA won the Gold.

Then the next year, when I saw Timms in a Mercury brochure, I knew I had to see more. Put Jennifer Gillom in the mix, and I became hooked. I still watched some NBA and men's college ball, but became much more enamored of the women's game - below the rim, ball-handling skills, team play. I rarely watch men's ball now, and am a fairly big college ball fan. But the W is my biggest attraction.

The level of play has enormously improved. I can relate to the players, being a woman myself. I find their stories of overcoming different obstacles inspiring, and their dedication equally so. I admire their athleticism, and I'm especially glad they are finding ways to make money at the sport.

I do have favorite players, but mostly just love the fact that the league exists, offering us the opportunity to see women playing professional team sports. So much of women's athletics that get attention are individual sports - tennis, figure skating, track (mostly individual). I love that there is a viable league for teams, and the individual isn't quite as important. I think it's a great example to young women, and to myself.

PostPosted: 07/20/08 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is it possible to give this thread a 'sticky'?

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Sass

PostPosted: 07/20/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
is it possible to give this thread a 'sticky'?

I don't have that power, but maybe jammer will consider it.

Jammer?

- Run-DMC
Sass

PostPosted: 07/20/08 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To psyche myself up for the Olympics, I'm re-reading "Venus to the Hoop." In chapter 6, there's this:

That female players worried actively about what people thought of them bore stark contrast to the prevailing indifference among male basketball players, even on the college level. After all, here was a culture that routinely lionized men for their athletic perofrmances without holding them accountable for the off-court behavior that sometimes included wife-beating, drug use, chronic gambling and promiscuity.......Meanwhile, women players were goverend by a different set of standards.

Rebecca (Lobo) recalled being at an awards banquet where an older male guest spotted her at the bar and made a crack that she'd better not be drinking alcohol, despite the fact that she was above the legal drinking age. "It's like people expect us to be angels," she said. "Would the guy have said that to Charles Barkley? I don't think so."

I wonder if people think this double standard still holds true today. ??

Also, do you think fans tend to focus on the skills of male players and who female players are?

Just curious.

- Run-DMC
pilight

PostPosted: 07/20/08 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Of course it does. Jim Bouton, the former baseball pitcher, once said "For too many athletes, who you are depends on how many home runs you hit -- and how many women you have." Nobody batted an eye. What do you think the reaction would be if a former WNBA player said the same sort of thing about female athletes and men?

PostPosted: 07/20/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the game. Period. If there's a game on tv I'll watch it - men, women, 3 year olds if they got out on the court and played.

I started playing this great game 34 years ago when I was in the 4th grade. My relatives played (both male and female), and I went to my female relatives' games as well as my male relatives' games. In my family, basketball was then, and still is now, basketball. Glorifying the men's game and belittling the women's game just didn't happen in my family.

In 1975 I was looking at Sports Illustrated's final four basketball issue as that was the year Syracuse's men's team went to its first final four. In that issue was coverage of the women's college hoop championship game between Delta State and Immaculata, with a pic of Delta State's Lusia Harris blocking a shot. The NCAA wasn't governing women's college hoop or any other women's sport then, the AIAW was. That pic of Harris made me saw "wow." Not only did I find out in that article that women played college basketball, but that it had a dominating center like her. I immediately became a fan, and followed her career at Delta State from that point forward, and found out about other great players before, during and after her time.

I watch the women's game because I love basketball and I love the women's game. It's been exciting seeing the game continue to evolve and I continue to be floored by the talent that comes into the college game and now the pro game year after year. I get excited for their games just as I do for the men's, whether it be high school, college, pro, the Olympics or the World Championships.

CRASH

PostPosted: 07/20/08 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Also, do you think fans tend to focus on the skills of male players and who female players are?

Just curious.

IMO, Yes.
Unfortunately we, as a society, have not evolved quite far enough. We allow male members to almost get a free pass in their "discretion's" if they play above average in their sport. Where as with the females of our species it never seems to matter. Take the kid from Oklahoma, if that had been one of the male student/athletes do you really believe he would have been suspended indefinately? I don't think he would have. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: