RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

olympic team USA alternates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikejofm

PostPosted: 07/09/08 10:58 pm    ::: olympic team USA alternates Reply Reply with quote

Who are the alternates? How many are they? what is their role?

PostPosted: 07/09/08 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball are required to submit 6 reserve names along with the 12-player roster. They'll obviously be 6 from the remaining names on the 07-08 roster listed here: http://www.usabasketball.com/women_team.php?page=wsnt_roster

They might be released when USA Basketball officially names the first-choice 12 tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep their mouths shut. I'm sure we can all make reasonably educated guesses as to the six extra names.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 07/09/08 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
USA Basketball are required to submit 6 reserve names along with the 12-player roster. They'll obviously be 6 from the remaining names on the 07-08 roster listed here: http://www.usabasketball.com/women_team.php?page=wsnt_roster

They might be released when USA Basketball officially names the first-choice 12 tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep their mouths shut. I'm sure we can all make reasonably educated guesses as to the six extra names.

how soon before someone whines about how neither Tweety nor Becky are even alternates??? aaarrrggghhhh!

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 07/09/08 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

how soon before someone whines about how neither Tweety nor Becky are even alternates??? aaarrrggghhhh!

NOW!

WHAAAAA! Gimme Tweety or Becky or give me communism!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 07/10/08 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious - do they get to jet off to Beijing with the team and cruise around the Olympic Village meeting famous athletes? Or do they have to spend August waiting by the phone?

dukegirl125

PostPosted: 07/10/08 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah i wondered that too....be interesting to find out!
anyone have any info?

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 07/10/08 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:

X____________

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
overandback

PostPosted: 07/10/08 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukegirl125 wrote:
yeah i wondered that too....be interesting to find out!
anyone have any info?

Based on further reading, it looks like the alternates are only available as substitutes until FIBA submits their final roster on August 6th. So if one of the 12 named players (God forbid) proves too injured to play before that time, FIBA can swap in someone from the pool of alternates. After that, the roster is final and no further changes are permitted. So as of August 6th the alternates can proceed to Bali or wherever, cue up some piña coladas and turn their phones off.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/10/08 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

How soon before people stop bringing up the issue with snarky comments? Because frankly we have ordered our Rusian NT jerserys, are getting ready for the GO FOR THE GOLD BECKY watch party with local ESPN radio and have moved on.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/10/08 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

How soon before people stop bringing up the issue with snarky comments? Because frankly we have ordered our Rusian NT jerserys, are getting ready for the GO FOR THE GOLD BECKY watch party with local ESPN radio and have moved on.

Thats got a nice ring to it..... GO FOR THE GOLD BECKY ...

I think I am looking forward to seeing how many people are pissed off if Russia by some odd chance actually do win gold... ohhh boy... we might get banned from here if that happens! Cause I already have my "snarky comments" lined up!

Allistar

PostPosted: 07/10/08 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:

Thats got a nice ring to it..... GO FOR THE GOLD BECKY ...

I think I am looking forward to seeing how many people are pissed off if Russia by some odd chance actually do win gold... ohhh boy... we might get banned from here if that happens! Cause I already have my "snarky comments" lined up!

Not gonna happen ... Australia's bringing home gold Very Happy

*and i'll be elated ... i'm a very bad american* Laughing

CB

PostPosted: 07/10/08 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Did I miss the thread where you can order Becky's Russian jersey? Sad

PostPosted: 07/10/08 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don't know...the thread is in one of our chats on our board. That local guy from that Sporting store that is stocking Becky's SASS jersery's is working on it for us. He was so happy her SASS jersery sold out in one day at both stores he was happy to help us try to get them. I'll let you know when I get the update from him. He is a Hammonite with a bad case of Hammonites Laughing

CB

PostPosted: 07/10/08 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
CB wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don't know...the thread is in one of our chats on our board. That local guy from that Sporting store that is stocking Becky's SASS jersery's is working on it for us. He was so happy her SASS jersery sold out in one day at both stores he was happy to help us try to get them. I'll let you know when I get the update from him. He is a Hammonite with a bad case of Hammonites Laughing

That's awesome!

Thanks and hey let me know the store's name in PM if you want, I would like to get a Becky jersey from there if at a price other than the inflated one at AT&T hehe, although I sprung for it there and have Ruth's! Smile

PS: He should stock Sophia, Ruth, VJ too, I bet they would sell!

PostPosted: 07/10/08 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol, the only Gold becky is gonna get is a gold tooth the Russian dentist uses to replace the ones that get knocked out when she tries to drive the lane with DMJ in there Shocked

They may support her decision in the press but they won't be too nice to her on court Cool

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

you think THAT was snarky? hello, you're talking to a New Yorker who saw Xammoh's first game ever in the WNBA and who is an official card-carrying Hammonite! (however rarely used) ... that comment was meant to address the repeated questions as to why Becky (and Tweety) are not on the team, as if we all don't know by now. it was not a dig at Becky, although frankly I could go there too... I've said in various places that I'm pretty conflicted about her decision. but more than that, I'm SICK OF HEARING about Becky the Olympics. I was sick of it weeks ago, and then the mainstream media picked up on it. Rolling Eyes

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

you think THAT was snarky? hello, you're talking to a New Yorker who saw Xammoh's first game ever in the WNBA and who is an official card-carrying Hammonite! (however rarely used) ... that comment was meant to address the repeated questions as to why Becky (and Tweety) are not on the team, as if we all don't know by now. it was not a dig at Becky, although frankly I could go there too... I've said in various places that I'm pretty conflicted about her decision. but more than that, I'm SICK OF HEARING about Becky the Olympics. I was sick of it weeks ago, and then the mainstream media picked up on it. Rolling Eyes

If you are so sick of it why bring up in a thread about the team alternates. It just invites more dicussion. It seems those complaing they are the most tired and sick of it are the ones posting new threads about it or bringing it up in threads where there is no need to bring it up.

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
CB wrote:
HotForHammon wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

That's awesome!

Thanks and hey let me know the store's name in PM if you want, I would like to get a Becky jersey from there if at a price other than the inflated one at AT&T hehe, although I sprung for it there and have Ruth's! Smile

PS: He should stock Sophia, Ruth, VJ too, I bet they would sell!

He ordered some Sophia ones to see how well they do and also ordred SASS novality items. They are cheaper. I will PM you the details and put in an order if want. ...I have 3 more of Becky's on order for some Hammonites and can always add in another.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HotForHammon wrote:
If you are so sick of it why bring up in a thread about the team alternates. It just invites more dicussion. It seems those complaing they are the most tired and sick of it are the ones posting new threads about it or bringing it up in threads where there is no need to bring it up.

*sigh* cause this seemed like a good place to bitch about it. it's a message board. that's what one does here, to a great extent. and it was one freakin' line - obviously tongue-in-cheek -- and barely 'snarky,' IMO. i haven't started any threads on the Beckster and i haven't called her a traitor or unpatriotic -- I was bitching about the endless bitching, and questioning, and endless discussion. and now I'm done bitching -- 'cause this is silly.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
lol, the only Gold becky is gonna get is a gold tooth the Russian dentist uses to replace the ones that get knocked out when she tries to drive the lane with DMJ in there Shocked

They may support her decision in the press but they won't be too nice to her on court Cool

Boy... that was clever

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/10/08 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

caune, should we plan a Go For the Xammoh, D-Nasty party? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 07/10/08 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
caune wrote:

caune, should we plan a Go For the Xammoh, D-Nasty party? Twisted Evil

I LOVE me some sunshine...especially whenit gets nasty Cool
Party on USA!!!

PostPosted: 07/10/08 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
caune wrote:

Boy... that was clever

well it won't get me a Russian passport...but I can live with that Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/10/08 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Very Happy

That's a good signature line for August!

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/11/08 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen An Alternate For Olympic Team
Quote:
"The only thing that seemed to work against her over the last couple of years, and she'd admit this, was that it was very difficult for her to take part in many of the team's training sessions because of her injuries, her wedding last year and her obligations to play internationally," Thibault said.

"We're trying to foster an environment [on the national team] that encourages players to be more regular participants. Those who are on the team were able to put in the time and are deserving of the honor. If something happens to one of the other players, she may get her opportunity. But she has plenty of time left, at least a couple of more cycles in her career, and I think she will make her case."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: