RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympic Memories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovydal

PostPosted: 07/08/08 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forget the guy's name, but there was a diver who messed up and lost control - blowing his high dive and pretty much slamming the water.

He turned out to be OK.

Once all of the other divers were done, he went to take his second dive - even though there was no way he could advance.

The dive was perfect.

The spectators went crazy. That summed up "the Olympic Spirit" for me.

Kelli

PostPosted: 07/08/08 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I forget the guy's name, but there was a diver who messed up and lost control - blowing his high dive and pretty much slamming the water.

He turned out to be OK.

Once all of the other divers were done, he went to take his second dive - even though there was no way he could advance.

The dive was perfect.

The spectators went crazy. That summed up "the Olympic Spirit" for me.

Was it the Olympics that Greg Lougainis smacked the back of his head on the board?

PostPosted: 07/08/08 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 1980 US Hockey team.

Svetlana Boguinskaya and Svetlana Khorkina in gymnastics, Keri Strug and Wendy Bruce as well. Shannon Miller, Mary Lou Retton.

Laura Wilkinson winning a diving gold with a broken foot. Greg Louganis winning gold after smacking his head.

The US Softball team

The Dream Team

Sarah Hughes winning gold in figure skating and the unbridled joy she exhibited when she found out she'd won while waiting in the locker room.
Slovydal

PostPosted: 07/08/08 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:

Was it the Olympics that Greg Lougainis smacked the back of his head on the board?

I don't think it was the same year.

tag3

PostPosted: 07/08/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teófilo Stevenson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya, and other boxers - love boxing, I do.

Dorothy Hamill - I had the haircut, the doll, the "Short & Sassy" shampoo, the fan club, everything.

My mom and me, jumping up and down and screaming at the tv when Mary Lou Retton got her perfect "10".

Katarina Witt skating "Carmen" - I dreamed of being that glamorous, seductive, and gorgeous.

Olga Korbut - cute as a button, and made everyone love gymnastics

Bart Conner, Mitch Gaylord, Kurt Thomas, Tim Daggett - *sigh* So cute, and so talented!

Mark Spitz - my sis had his poster, wearing that lil stars & stripes Speedo

Bruce Jenner - gorgeous, and what an athlete!

Jim Craig of USA hockey, scanning the crowd for his father after winning the gold

Gail Devers, Suzy Favor-Hamilton, Flo Jo, Mary Decker Slaney, and many other track stars. I admire runners so much.

USA Softball - Nobody does it better.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 07/08/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved gymnastics for a long time, so add to my list Shannon Miller and her five medals from one Games or the other...Barcelona, I think...even if she was robbed by .012 of the gold medal that year. Kerri Strug, of course. Svetlana Khorkina was amazing. What was the name of the tall girl who was with Russia in gymnastics for what seemed like forever? I know she was there in '96...might've been her last year.

Andreea Raducan was just so cute the year she won her gold medal. Damn shame the IOC took her medal away because of cold medicine. That was a bit excessive.

Laura Wilkinson was awesome in diving...definitely fun.

How about Karch Kiraly and the men's indoor volleyball team? Those guys rocked.

My favorite Opening Ceremonies moment (other than Atlanta...Ali was awesome!) was Barcelona in '92 where the archer lit his arrow and shot it at the cauldron. That was so pretty to watch!

Closing Ceremonies winner? Gotta be Slim Dusty's Waltzing Matilda from Sydney.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/09/08 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Sarah Hughes winning gold in figure skating and the unbridled joy she exhibited when she found out she'd won while waiting in the locker room.

That was magic. I mean, the performance was good enough, but her backstage shock and celebration was so great.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7UjiPhniDUk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PostPosted: 07/09/08 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

R U DUN wrote:
Dawn Staley carrying the flag.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAUzmQHhUx4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's to hoping Lisa Leslie carries it this year.

PostPosted: 07/09/08 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

That was magic. I mean, the performance was good enough, but her backstage shock and celebration was so great.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7UjiPhniDUk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I saw that as it happened and it was just one of the most pure moments of celebration I've ever seen.
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/09/08 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Svetlana Khorkina was amazing. What was the name of the tall girl who was with Russia in gymnastics for what seemed like forever? I know she was there in '96...might've been her last year.

I'm pretty sure that was Svetlana Boguinskaya you are thinking of.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/09/08 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summer Olympics

1996 Mag 7. Shannon Miller, Dominique Awesome Dawesome Dawes et al.
1992 Dream Team
1996 Women's Gold medal teams in Bball, Soccer, and Softball
1988 Flo Jo wins 100 and 200 meters
2000 Misty Hyman wins 200 meter Butterfly
2004 Carly Patterson wins gold
2004 Michael Phelps. Enough said

Winter Olympics
1988. Battle of the Carmens. Witt vs Thomas
1998. Tara Lipinski upsets Kwan for gold
2002. Sarah Hughes upsets Kwan for gold
1994. Dan Jansen wins gold in memory of his deceased sister.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/09/08 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
jimmyk wrote:
Svetlana Khorkina was amazing. What was the name of the tall girl who was with Russia in gymnastics for what seemed like forever? I know she was there in '96...might've been her last year.

I think that was her, but Khorkina was also a tall girl who competed from 1996-2004.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 07/09/08 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of! While I held a particular contempt for her, at the same time, I couldn't keep but thing that she was really good...not to mention really hot. So her long figure appearing on my TV brought mixed emotions. I miss her being around.

As for the aforementioned Andreea Raducan, here is her website. She's all grown up now, of course...and quite beautiful, I might add.

Edit to add that there's a petition on her site to get her that Sydney gold medal back. Wow!

caune

PostPosted: 07/09/08 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
jimmyk wrote:

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of! While I held a particular contempt for her, at the same time, I couldn't keep but thing that she was really good...not to mention really hot. So her long figure appearing on my TV brought mixed emotions. I miss her being around.

As for the aforementioned Andreea Raducan, here is her website. She's all grown up now, of course...and quite beautiful, I might add.

Edit to add that there's a petition on her site to get her that Sydney gold medal back. Wow!

If you are talking about the short reddish haired one with the blue eyeshadow that wanted to ba an actress and vaguely resembled a cartoon character that would be Khorkina.
She was great but very odd looking to put it nicely Wink

PostPosted: 07/10/08 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
If you are talking about the short reddish haired one with the blue eyeshadow that wanted to ba an actress and vaguely resembled a cartoon character that would be Khorkina.
She was great but very odd looking to put it nicely Wink

Very odd looking indeed, especially when she was mad. Razz

PostPosted: 07/10/08 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
1988 Flo Jo wins 100 and 200 meters

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/knhHcwQE_qA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PostPosted: 07/10/08 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
(other than Atlanta...Ali was awesome!)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TaITzi64Sw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PostPosted: 07/11/08 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My favorite, or at least craziest moment that stands out, is when LJ accidentally pulled out LLL's hair extensions and everyone on the court died laughing! I thought Dawn Staley was gonna need a time out to recover!!!

Priceless!!!!

Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

caune

PostPosted: 07/11/08 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
My favorite, or at least craziest moment that stands out, is when LJ accidentally pulled out LLL's hair extensions and everyone on the court died laughing! I thought Dawn Staley was gonna need a time out to recover!!!

Priceless!!!!

and not caught on film was the crowd throwing it around like it was a hot potato..or cootie infested horse tail Laughing

PostPosted: 07/11/08 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:

Priceless!!!!

That was a hilarious moment! I saw it on youtube awhile back, but can't seem to find it now. It always gives me a laugh Laughing

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
CRASH

PostPosted: 07/11/08 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
CRASH wrote:

Priceless!!!!

and not caught on film was the crowd throwing it around like it was a hot potato..or cootie infested horse tail Laughing

Horse tail! lol....
Poor My Pretty Pony!!!!
Shouldn't mb1 be making horse sounds about now????

potd41

PostPosted: 07/11/08 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1980 US hockey team. "Do you believe in miracles" Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/11/08 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
caune wrote:
CRASH wrote:

Priceless!!!!

ROFL...I'm sure he will when he reads this Wink

Horse tail! lol....
Poor My Pretty Pony!!!!
Shouldn't mb1 be making horse sounds about now????

PostPosted: 07/13/08 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Mary Lou Retton. Period.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sya66z4mCiA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PostPosted: 07/13/08 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1980 hockey team

1992 dream team(mens)

1996 womens basketball

and as bad as it was by tonya harding to hire her bodyguard to really harm another athlete, I found it a bit amusing when Nancy Kerrigan's fake smile infested mouth turned into a big frown and she bawled like a baby when attacked.

"WHY ME................WHY ME?????"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: