RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Over-All Grade For Tuesday's Double Header ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/01/10 11:31 pm    ::: Over-All Grade For Tuesday's Double Header ? Reply Reply with quote

Tonights games were not good for national televised games IMO. Alot of sloppy play a lot of turnovers along with air balls all over the place in both games. Not to mention both games werent all that close a all and The not so many fans in attendance didnt help much either. If i was viewing the WNBA for the first time tonight i dont think i would tune in anymore. There were times were i found myself dozing off during the games and ive been a fan since its inception. Idk if its the commentators or just my lack luster attitude but over all i would give tonights ESPN 2 Double Header a C+. But maybe thats just me , what about you guys out there ?

PostPosted: 06/01/10 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the Phoenix Minnesota game was pretty interesting, actually. Lots of pretty shots and most of the game was close until the end there. A flagrant foul and a technical, too! Laughing

It might have been more fun to watch on TV if they'd shown about a dozen people in my section, including me, all having a stroke simultaneously over Penny Taylor's constant traveling. There was much red-faced, creative bellowing at the refs. It was like a demented WNBA choir there for awhile.

#NATC

PostPosted: 06/01/10 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't watched the games yet, but on paper I certainly can't fault ESPN2 for showing them.
It's unfortunate that they didn't deliver to potential, but that's sport for ya.

PostPosted: 06/01/10 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if you watched the Best of the west beat the beast of the east but we shut them down. I thought the Storm played sloppy just a couple times and let up just once in the second, after that they tightened the noose and didn't let up. The Dream are good, but they will get better.
These two game have been the far better teams to watch on TV in awhile, imo.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, I'm tired of people complaining about the televised games. I don't care if they sucked or not, I got to watch some games on TV, that's all I care about.

They try their best to pick games that'll be appealing to the watchers, which is why Phoenix and LA has most Nationally-Televised games.

Sometimes the games live up to the billing, sometimes they don't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally like the commentators, but that's just mean, I usually don't find much problems with them anyways. As far as the level of play goes what are you suggesting, the teams that played shouldn't have been picked, or the games shouldn't just be on tv because of the possibility of bad play. It's not as if the teams decided to play bad because they are on tv, or the WNBA pre-screen games and choose to air these, they are live games as others have mentioned some live up to the billing and some don't quite reach it. On paper before the season started these looked like potentially good games to show, and now with Atlanta and Seattle being the top two teams in the league who was to know Seattle would blow out Atlanta.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Man, I'm tired of people complaining about the televised games. I don't care if they sucked or not, I got to watch some games on TV, that's all I care about.

They try their best to pick games that'll be appealing to the watchers, which is why Phoenix and LA has most Nationally-Televised games.

Sometimes the games live up to the billing, sometimes they don't. Deal with it.
'

I agree with you braveniler58, I'm glad the WNBA is getting shown on tv and I/we get the opportunity watch the WNBA, especially when our team is not playing or on the road, in this case Phoenix fans get to watch the Mercury play in Minnesota.

There is another alternative, if ESPN sees these negative comments they can always decide to pull the plug on showing WNBA games, they don't have to show WNBA games on tv.

FS02

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I give the games a B- (mind you, my team won--maybe it should be an A! Twisted Evil ) and the presentation gets a C.

You can't have triple-OT barn burners every time.. if Atlanta hadn't been at the end of a long road swing they would have looked better.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I personally like the commentators, but that's just mean, I usually don't find much problems with them anyways. As far as the level of play goes what are you suggesting, the teams that played shouldn't have been picked, or the games shouldn't just be on tv because of the possibility of bad play. It's not as if the teams decided to play bad because they are on tv, or the WNBA pre-screen games and choose to air these, they are live games as others have mentioned some live up to the billing and some don't quite reach it. On paper before the season started these looked like potentially good games to show, and now with Atlanta and Seattle being the top two teams in the league who was to know Seattle would blow out Atlanta.

No no no you misunderstood me . On paper yes these are the games people want to see. I dont fault donna for choosing these games for national exposure. I was actually excited too see both games all week long , but i feel like the teams didnt play to there potential for long stretches of time in both games.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

There is another alternative, if ESPN sees these negative comments they can always decide to pull the plug on showing WNBA games, they don't have to show WNBA games on tv.

Well, I do believe there's a contract to do so. It's not like ESPN is doing the WNBA a favor by broadcasting a few games every now and then.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 06/02/10 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Well, I do believe there's a contract to do so. It's not like ESPN is doing the WNBA a favor by broadcasting a few games every now and then.

There can be a clause in the contract the allows ESPN to pull out if they don't feel they are getting adequate viewership. Plus the can always not renew the contract once the contract is up. ESPN is a business there are clause they can use to pull out, its not an all or nothing contract where ESPN has to show games no matter what. Who knows maybe ESPN would pay off the WNBA to get out the rest of their contract if they feel they can get better ratings showing other things.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/02/10 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

No no no you misunderstood me . On paper yes these are the games people want to see. I dont fault donna for choosing these games for national exposure. I was actually excited too see both games all week long , but i feel like the teams didnt play to there potential for long stretches of time in both games.

I apologize for misunderstanding you.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/02/10 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the games were quite interesting and entertaining. It's not always 'beautiful'. So what? Either you like to watch or you don't. It was a great choice of games for a double header. And I too really enjoyed seeing full size and not the partials or 'not-at-alls' I've come to expect with Live InAccess.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/02/10 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought the games were quite interesting and entertaining. It's not always 'beautiful'. So what? Either you like to watch or you don't. It was a great choice of games for a double header. And I too really enjoyed seeing full size and not the partials or 'not-at-alls' I've come to expect with Live InAccess.

I enjoyed them. I don't know why.

PostPosted: 06/02/10 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some people, a game is like a chapter in an unfolding story.
There are many things to enjoy there: the character development, the scene, plot movement, the action, and so much more. We're still pretty close to the beginning of this book (season).

For others, each game is a complete story / book / event unto itself. Disconnected.

Your expectations and enjoyment can vary widely depending upon your perspective.

sambista

PostPosted: 06/02/10 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sometimes, when you're so hungry for a thing (in this case, lots of w games on a watchable medium), expectation exceeds the hunger. i just knew that the commentators overpredicting an exciting second game would be a jinx.

the phoenix-minny game was fun to watch; the second, not as much. but i was glad to see both of them in glorious hd and with good commentary. sloppy play in both games, and angel looked NOTHING like she looked in the l.a. game. that was disappointing. but i also got to see some players i'd never seen play before, and that was great.

for the opportunity to see a double-header on espn and not whatever signal nbatv manages to pick up, and because live access is a joke, i give it an A. for the games themselves, i give them a B+.

#1Margofan

PostPosted: 06/02/10 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bitch when games are not on TV, then Bitch when they are!!

What in the hell would make you folks happy??

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/02/10 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1Margofan wrote:

Something that would make me happy: Margo returning in a cameo appearance for the Sun and dunking one right on CP3's head.

#1Margofan

PostPosted: 06/02/10 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
#1Margofan wrote:

Something that would make me happy: Margo returning in a cameo appearance for the Sun and dunking one right on CP3's head.

now THAT would make ME happy!!!!!!!! Very Happy

caune

PostPosted: 06/02/10 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though my team lost I enjoyed having two games in a row to watch.
Only thing I didn't like was the announcers in the Merc Lynx game referring to the game as an "appetizer" Rolling Eyes
the Champions?
An appetizer? hmmmm Laughing

PostPosted: 06/02/10 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1Margofan wrote:

Going to see live games. I never leave unhappy (except for the ASG that one year.)

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/02/10 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#1Margofan wrote:

IF you stopped posting using that horrible language

PostPosted: 06/02/10 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Even though my team lost I enjoyed having two games in a row to watch.
Only thing I didn't like was the announcers in the Merc Lynx game referring to the game as an "appetizer" Rolling Eyes
the Champions?
An appetizer? hmmmm Laughing

Maybe a really good appetizer, you know the kind you have to order and then when you are done you aren't sure you need the main course anymore even though it looks like it will be fantastic.... Smile

Hey they are media...#1 east vs. #2 west, top two records in the league right now is a bigger story than two good teams still trying to gel after big changes/injuries.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
pilight

PostPosted: 06/02/10 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the games were just fine. Yay ESPN!

PostPosted: 06/02/10 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a bit disappointed in the Dream-Storm game, given the sloppy start it got off to, but I was quite happy with the Merc-Lynx game, so it all comes out in the wash.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: