RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Downloading Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 06/17/05 10:20 pm    ::: Downloading Music Reply Reply with quote

I`m just getting comfortable with my new computer, and I`m starting to download music. I need input on where to find tunes to download ( free and pay ). Since I`m not much of a techie, please be kind. Question

PostPosted: 06/17/05 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would recommend kazaa.lite, BSB. All the tunes without those nasty calories.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
boldenfan

PostPosted: 06/17/05 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard bad things of Kazaa, lots of viruses, that is just what I've heard.

I use WinMx and Morpheus (free), but i pay for songs on iTunes.

Yeah my nerves are raw and your wearin' thin. You won't play me again. I'm not a freak show, eat crow kinda thing. I can suck you up, or spit you out, so take your best swing. I'm gonna jump right off of this sinking ship, are you feeling me yet?
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/17/05 11:17 pm    ::: Re: Downloading Music Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
I`m just getting comfortable with my new computer, and I`m starting to download music. I need input on where to find tunes to download ( free and pay ). Since I`m not much of a techie, please be kind. Question

I like Limewire more than anything I've used since the original Napster.

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

Of course the very best way is the newsgroups. (Usenet) Although at this point you pretty much have to go with a pay news service. I like usenetserver.com. It's unlimited downloads for $14.95 a month.

http://www.usenetserver.com

I strongly suggest to anyone who doesn't know what the newsgroups or Usenet is, to embark on that learning curve. It is BY FAR the best and fastest way of exchanging and disseminating large masses of digital information on the internet.

It's not that hard. Good newsreaders are free and they're not hard to learn. But you better have a belief system that allows for what you're going to find there because EVERYTHING is there. Anything that is or can be digitized is there, use your imagination.

Agent is probably the standard of newsreaders. I see they offer their own service (access to their servers) now. I have no idea about it. There's a free version of Agent. I suggest getting the full version and trying it for a month. Then buy it.

http://www.forteinc.com

PostPosted: 06/18/05 12:01 pm    ::: Re: Downloading Music Reply Reply with quote

i used to use limewire, but it got on my nerves. now, if i can't get it on itunes i don't download it at all. simple, straightforward, largest library on the internet. itunes is also a great way to organize your music.

download free here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

PostPosted: 06/18/05 1:15 pm    ::: Re: Downloading Music Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
i used to use limewire, but it got on my nerves. now, if i can't get it on itunes i don't download it at all. simple, straightforward, largest library on the internet. itunes is also a great way to organize your music.

download free here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Well I should say I'm using the non-free version of Limewire. And yes.. they all drive me nuts. But it's fast and hasn't failed me too often. Also there's a direct connect feature that has allowed me to swap some REALLY large things with my brother in law in PA. That's pretty cool. Much easier than FTP and PCAnywhere, etc.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I have enough Pepsi caps, I download from iTunes, always easy to find stuff, but it has a weird file format, not MP3. Otherwise, I use Emule or Soulseek.
Kazaa is really bad, you will need to have the latest updates for your virus definitions, but you'd want that anyway.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcbg, you can change your prefs. this is from download.com (i'm assuming you're on a pc, not a mac, but there's not much difference. this is for pcs.) since i prefer the aac format, i haven't explored whether you can actually change how itunes delivers the songs to you, but you certainly can change the format when you're burning to a cd.

Change audio formats
iTunes works seamlessly with Apple's berhip line of iPod MP3 players, but not everyone has jumped on the white-earbud bandwagon just yet. Owners of other popular MP3 players might be surprised to find the CDs they just ripped in iTunes won't play in their devices, since the program encodes tracks in the AAC format by default. However, you can change the output codec by clicking Edit > Preferences, then browsing to the Importing tab. Once there, you can choose among MP3, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless formats, and set the bit rate to a higher or lower quality. If you've already accidentally ripped quite a few files into AAC, you can simply right-click any number of tunes in your library to convert them to MP3.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
When I have enough Pepsi caps, I download from iTunes, always easy to find stuff, but it has a weird file format, not MP3. Otherwise, I use Emule or Soulseek.
Kazaa is really bad, you will need to have the latest updates for your virus definitions, but you'd want that anyway.

Pepsi? Getting tired of Coke? Wink

I've been using Bearshare and have no complaints... Kazaa I believe is the one that has been monitored by the RIAA in the past, so I avoid it. itunes is ok, but at $ 0.99/song, and considering the average CD has ~18 songs, I'm fine with just buying the CD..

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/18/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I use WinMX and Soulseek. WinMX has a lot of clone bots on it (probably used by the record industry) but if you're smart, you can tell who's legit and who's not.
sambista

PostPosted: 06/18/05 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
itunes is ok, but at $ 0.99/song, and considering the average CD has ~18 songs, I'm fine with just buying the CD.. [/color]

the average cost of a cd in itunes isn't the sum of all the tracks. it's more like $9.99, which is cheaper than a cd in the store. as for me, i usually buy jazz, so i get over like a fat rat when i buy a 10- to 20-minute track for 99 cents.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't like to use iTunes because their files are less than CD quality.

For that reason, I always buy the CD, burn it into iTunes, and sell the CD on Ebay.

But...if you're looking for other "download" sights - Morpheus is the way to go.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/18/05 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Limewire user. The reason I choose it is the sheer volume of material on it, so with a fast connection (mine is 12MBPS) it is very quick to download a movie or a series of a TV show (as I am doing atm with Arrested Development)

As for legal sites, as I installed the latest version of Winamp I was pointed to www.emusic.com for the "100 Free MP3s" free trial.
(Opt out within 2 weeks and pay nothing)
Might be worth checking out as a starting point

PostPosted: 06/18/05 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

emusic is definitely worth a stop for the freebies up front.

PostPosted: 06/19/05 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should add I recommend Soulseek highly. There's also a lot more obscure stuff on there.
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 06/19/05 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winmx works good. i recommend that. or bearshare.

stever

PostPosted: 06/19/05 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BSB, here's a link to Apple's Windows version of their free iTunes program, a must have, IMHO:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 06/19/05 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank You...Thank You...Thank You

You guys are great, and incredibly helpful....

Yesterday I burned my first CD with a combination of my stuff and a few tunes I purchased...it sounds great...

Today I put a hundred songs into my "portable device"(microsoftese). Great results...filling it will be my new career. BTW it`s not an "I-Pod", I`m not a heretic, it came with my computer package. In it`s defense it works and sounds excellent. My point here is to thank Bibb for the advice on changing the settings for i-tunes.

I have and need a lot of music because I`m a disc jocky. I tend to look for obscure things and actually found a few on limewire. I will spend the rest of the day cruising the music sites you guys have recommended (NO GAMES TODAY, YUK!!)

thanks again,
BSB

PostPosted: 06/19/05 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, also...I only pay $5.99 for my CD`s ($6.80) delivered

http://www.yourmusic.com

PostPosted: 06/19/05 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's also one offered on yahoo. not sure about the quality, but the price looks good. as soon as i catch up with technology and get XP, i may try it out. some friends have tried it and think it's pretty good. here's the link

http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/20/05 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh bibb. I got a bunch of Leny from the newsgroups last night including a Leny sings Jobim album. Now I get it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Amazing! We were listening to that stuff all night.

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.brazilian

PostPosted: 06/20/05 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammer, jammer, jammer. if you just hang on long enough, you'll get everything i've said to you.

leny's really quite remarkable, huh? i've seen her live a coupla times in rio. man, can she work a room. and i don't mean by being animated or anything - just singing!

there's a cd you gotta find - or get it from your music-stealing brethren, if you must - which wasn't available in the states until a coupla years ago. it's leny and romero lubambo, called "coisa fina." (yes, jammer, lubambo's the guitarist i told you about - you just don't listen to me!) it's just her and him. ambrosia!

i always wondered if she actually met sarah vaughan when she was alive and, if so, what they thought of each other.

PostPosted: 06/21/05 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now yall wrong.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
I have and need a lot of music because I`m a disc jocky. I tend to look for obscure things and actually found a few on limewire.

I use Limewire quite a bit myself, and haven't really dealt with many other programs - I find it adequate. The only problem with ITunes is you can only burn the songs a certain number of times, I'm not sure exactly how many or what happens to the file afterwards....

Have you looked into any DJ record/CD pools? My husband is also a DJ (who currently lacks speakers for any real gigs) and if you're looking for new music before it's commercially released, the pools are definitely the way to go.

What type of music are you needing most? I know of a couple, but they specialize in Hip Hop and R&B.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/27/05 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In a major victory for the entertainment industry, the Supreme Court this morning ruled that file-sharing companies could be held liable when people use their products to download copyrighted movies and music from the Internet.

The unanimous decision said there was enough evidence of unlawful intent for the case of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer vs. Grokster to be sent back to lower court for a trial.

The high court appeared to agree with the entertainment industrys argument that the peer-to-peer file-sharing services were actively inducing users to engage in piracy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/27/MNgrokster27.DTL&type=tech

Time to be careful though... Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: