RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I need Help...PLEASE be serious!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/09/04 9:54 am    ::: I need Help...PLEASE be serious! Reply Reply with quote

I coach a group of 9 year old girls in a Rec League in town. This is my second year with them.

This year the town assigned WNBA team names to each team. My team is The Sparks.

I don't just teach how to play the game. I want them to also learn about the roots of their team name, and the WNBA.

If I were to give them a brief history of the Sparks, what should I include.

Please, no elbows and dirty play stuff, it's for nine year olds who I want to encourage.

Thanks!

caune

PostPosted: 12/09/04 12:33 pm    ::: Re: I need Help...PLEASE be serious! Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I coach a group of 9 year old girls in a Rec League in town. This is my second year with them.

This year the town assigned WNBA team names to each team. My team is The Sparks.

I don't just teach how to play the game. I want them to also learn about the roots of their team name, and the WNBA.

If I were to give them a brief history of the Sparks, what should I include.

Please, no elbows and dirty play stuff, it's for nine year olds who I want to encourage.

Thanks!

One interesting factoid, Penny Toller, who played for the Sparks and scored the first points in the WNBA went on to become General Manager of the team.....and that is the only fact I have about the sparks that you could share with 9 year old girls;)

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/09/04 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, it's a start! Now you know why I'm asking!!!!!! Embarassed

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/09/04 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can tell them about how Michael Cooper was a DPOY in the NBA and how he played with Magic on the Showtime Lakers.
You can tell them how Lisa Leslie was assigned to the Sharks due to her SoCal roots. Maybe in the short term they'd been happier with Coop Wink
You can tell them how cheese is not good for your knees too.

PostPosted: 12/09/04 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I was gonna tell them to all go home and put those string cheese sticks on their knees after practice tonight too!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/09/04 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

He's not supposed to lie to them is he, the Cheese was binding enough to keep the knee together for several months after they diagnosed an ACL, then several months of playing time later, they diagnosed her with an ACL tear, the Cheese kept it together for a long time. Wink

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/10/04 1:37 am    ::: research fun Reply Reply with quote

There's a good book about the '96 Olympic team (I've recommended it here and there before) called VENUS TO THE HOOP-- you should be able to request it via interlibrary loan from a public library; it's got all sorts of anecdotes about the '96 players and their backgrounds, including LL's early life. It's probably stuff you know, but it's neat to get it in one place.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks folks!

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can also expand their knowledge of international basketball (present and historically). A couple of examples:

* Ex-Sparks centre and former Chinese NT player Zheng Haixia was once *the* dominant post player of the world at 6'8" and 260 pounds (this was early-mid 1990s).

* Mwadi Mabika came from the Congo to impress everyone at the Atlanta Olympics, earn a tryout with the Sparks and has developed into an All-Star calibre player. Back in the Congo, I don't think they even had a proper indoor basketball court and Dikembe Mutombo played a significant role in bringing her over to the US.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
You can also expand their knowledge of international basketball (present and historically). A couple of examples:

* Ex-Sparks centre and former Chinese NT player Zheng Haixia was once *the* dominant post player of the world at 6'8" and 260 pounds (this was early-mid 1990s).

* Mwadi Mabika came from the Congo to impress everyone at the Atlanta Olympics, earn a tryout with the Sparks and has developed into an All-Star calibre player. Back in the Congo, I don't think they even had a proper indoor basketball court and Dikembe Mutombo played a significant role in bringing her over to the US.

Uh Keegs, they're 9. If I can't pronounce Zheng Haixia, I don't think they could!!!! Shocked

You've got an excellent idea about Mwadi. I will use that one!

We had our first practice last night; it could be a looooong season. Dani was the only one that could put it in the hoop with any type of consistency.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/10/04 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Uh Keegs, they're 9. If I can't pronounce Zheng Haixia, I don't think they could!!!! Shocked

Neither could the commentators, back in the day. So they used her nickname - "Baby Huey" from what I can recall.

I think the pronunciation would be HI-SHIA CHENG but I'd have to double check with my parents for that one.
blzntr33s

PostPosted: 12/12/04 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Neither could the commentators, back in the day. So they used her nickname - "Baby Huey" from what I can recall.

Cheryl Miller couldn't pronounce her name either. They interviewed her on a local radio station here and she referred to her as The Great Wall of China. It was quite a fitting name when you think of her all around size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: