RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Larkins adjusts to the pros.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 08/06/08 9:37 am    ::: Larkins adjusts to the pros. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/sports/story/16059.html

Quote:
She averaged 3.8 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in her first 18 outings (all off the bench) for the Liberty in games through July 27. But the last game she played was July 5 at Phoenix, when she played 11 minutes and had two points and two rebounds in a New York win.

After that, Larkins traveled with the team but was not activated to play.

Said New York head coach Pat Coyle: "It is not unusual for rookies to be on the inactive list (for some games). Erlana has a bright future in New York."

Larkins said the New York coaches tell her to be positive.

"They tell you, 'Just always be open and willing to learn.' This is a new thing. There is always something that can be taught," she said.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love her game. She should NOT be on the IL.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like her game too but you gotta pay your dues as a rookie...it's that simple. Next year, I bet she'll play a whole lot more....

nickv1025 wrote:
Love her game. She should NOT be on the IL.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about Larkins. On the positive side she gives energy, a physical presence, a good offensive rebounder and some offensive moves. On the negative side she is undersized in terms of height, overweight, has a non-existent vertical leap and she has really short arms. I don't see how she will ever be good defensively given her physical limitations, even if she is in shape. As an offensive player and a rebounder she stands a chance to be good if she gets in shape. The Lib already have post players who score for a high % inside in Jackson and McCarville. What they need more than anything is a defensive presence and a night-in, night-out rebounder on the defensive boards. Those will likely not be her main strengths even in the future. An in-shape Larkins who can be active and give offense could be valuable however. If not to the Lib maybe as part of a deal that might bring over a more defensive-minded player. I really wish the Lib had taken Anosike. Anosike has so many more qualities that the Lib need than Larkins does. That's not to denigrate Larkins. But Anosike would give so much of what the Lib need and she would be an active defender when the Lib trap.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 08/06/08 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems to me EL has a chance to turn in to a D-Train -- Much depends on which D-Train she wants to become....

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Larkins. On the positive side she gives energy, a physical presence, a good offensive rebounder and some offensive moves. On the negative side she is undersized in terms of height, overweight and she has really short arms. I don't see how she will ever be good defensively given her physical limitations, even if she is in shape. As an offensive player and a rebounder she stands a chance to be good if she gets in shape. The Lib already have post players who score for a high % inside in Jackson and McCarville. What they need more than anything is a defensive presence and a night-in, night-out rebounder on the defensive boards. Those will likely not be her main strengths even in the future. An in-shape Larkins who can be active and give offense could be valuable however. If not to the Lib maybe as part of a deal that might bring over a more defensive-minded player. I really wish the Lib had taken Anosike. Anosike has so many more qualities that the Lib need than Larkins does. That's not to denigrate Larkins. But Anosike would give so much of what the Lib need and she would be an active defender when the Lib trap.

You might be on to something there. I've gotten the feeling since they drafted her that they've been trying to trade her (for Candice Wiggins???). In all reality, she should NOT have fallen that far in the draft (some people, like Carolyn Peck, had EL going as high as #3 in the draft). Houston made a mistake with Ajavon and Connecticut made a mistake with Swanier. Larkins would probably be active on both of those teams had she not been drafted on an already deep NY team.
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Except EL can actually finish around the basket!! D-Train couldn't buy a basket...

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Seems to me EL has a chance to turn in to a D-Train -- Much depends on which D-Train she wants to become....

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erlana isn't going anywhere, she'll be here next year too. There just isn't enough minutes to go aroung to play everyone on the team. Fans sometimes act like Coyle should play every last player, which is impossible. I am a big Erlana Supporter who also wishes she was playing, but right now it can't happen..

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And we agree once again!!!! Well said, Str8!!!

Str8_Butta wrote:
Erlana isn't going anywhere, she'll be here next year too. There just isn't enough minutes to go aroung to play everyone on the team. Fans sometimes act like Coyle should play every last player, which is impossible. I am a big Erlana Supporter who also wishes she was playing, but right now it can't happen..

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

So, who's going to lose minutes next year so that Larkins can play more? Is she going to lose the 25+ pounds she'd need to lose to keep up with the pace of the game at this level? Will she incorporate the long-range jumper back into her arsenal? Will she commit to improving defensively?

What you're looking at now is a fat 6-1 center with zero athleticism. That is IL-worthy, IMO. It no longer matters who she is, where she went to school, and what she did while she was there. All that matters is that she's not a WNBA-caliber player in her current form. Can she change? Sure. But going to Europe for one offseason isn't going to do her a whole lot of good.

Mathies to LA 2013
abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After reading that, I'm not sure you've ever seen her play.

mannman

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MattinDE wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Larkins. On the positive side she gives energy, a physical presence, a good offensive rebounder and some offensive moves. On the negative side she is undersized in terms of height, overweight and she has really short arms. I don't see how she will ever be good defensively given her physical limitations, even if she is in shape. As an offensive player and a rebounder she stands a chance to be good if she gets in shape. The Lib already have post players who score for a high % inside in Jackson and McCarville. What they need more than anything is a defensive presence and a night-in, night-out rebounder on the defensive boards. Those will likely not be her main strengths even in the future. An in-shape Larkins who can be active and give offense could be valuable however. If not to the Lib maybe as part of a deal that might bring over a more defensive-minded player. I really wish the Lib had taken Anosike. Anosike has so many more qualities that the Lib need than Larkins does. That's not to denigrate Larkins. But Anosike would give so much of what the Lib need and she would be an active defender when the Lib trap.

You might be on to something there. I've gotten the feeling since they drafted her that they've been trying to trade her (for Candice Wiggins???). In all reality, she should NOT have fallen that far in the draft (some people, like Carolyn Peck, had EL going as high as #3 in the draft). Houston made a mistake with Ajavon and Connecticut made a mistake with Swanier. Larkins would probably be active on both of those teams had she not been drafted on an already deep NY team.

Minnie would not make that trade, not before, not now, nor in the future - CDub is a budding superstar.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:

This coming from the individual who thinks Whittington will be a good pro. Rolling Eyes

You're right. I've never seen Larkins play. I never watched her play AAU ball when she was a slimmer wing athlete. I never watched her play up close and personal when she was a freshman in college (and I was a senior who went to school eight miles away) and never advocated her winning ACC ROY over Langhorne (another player with a not-so-bright future in her present state). I never watched her play as a sophomore, when she hit her peak as a basketball player (quick defensively, shooting touch on offense). I never watched her play as a junior, when she started hitting the Krystal burgers and Krispy Kremes hard. I never saw her play as a senior, when the elite posts ate her lunch during the NCAA Tournament. You're right--I've never seen her play. Rolling Eyes

You need to learn real quick who you're dealing with here. I'm not some high schooler who spews off at the mouth. I've watched these players longer than you have and longer than most posting on this thread have. This player, in particular, needs work.

Mathies to LA 2013
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

So, who's going to lose minutes next year so that Larkins can play more? Is she going to lose the 25+ pounds she'd need to lose to keep up with the pace of the game at this level? Will she incorporate the long-range jumper back into her arsenal? Will she commit to improving defensively?

What you're looking at now is a fat 6-1 center with zero athleticism. That is IL-worthy, IMO. It no longer matters who she is, where she went to school, and what she did while she was there. All that matters is that she's not a WNBA-caliber player in her current form. Can she change? Sure. But going to Europe for one offseason isn't going to do her a whole lot of good.

I basically see it the same way. Especially when the things that she can do even moderately well on the offensive end are done better already by McCarville and Jackson. Meanwhile, the things she does poorly in terms of defense are likely not to improve even if she gets in shape. And looking at her and knowing that her favorite postgame meal is "junk food" (her own exact words) one wonders how long it will take her to mature and work to develop her body.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
nickv1025 wrote:

This coming from the individual who thinks Whittington will be a good pro. Rolling Eyes

You're right. I've never seen Larkins play. I never watched her play AAU ball when she was a slimmer wing athlete.

Forget the rest of your post. I am kind of astonished to know that Larkins actually was a slimmer wing athlete at one time. Very Happy

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You think you are the only one who knows basketball?

Give me a break. Rolling Eyes

She is a lot more than a "fat center with zero athleticism."

Reality check: fat centers with zero athleticism don't make the pros.

I never said she didn't need work. I never said that she was a WNBA caliber player in this form.

But she is certainly not just a fat center with zero athleticism.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
You think you are the only one who knows basketball?

Yes, I do. Your point?

Quote:
Give me a break. Rolling Eyes

Go read a book.

Quote:
She is a lot more than a "fat center with zero athleticism."

You're right. She's a fat center with zero athleticism who sits on the bench in street clothes.

Quote:
Reality check: fat centers with zero athleticism don't make the pros.

Tye'sha Fluker and Vanessa Hayden, anyone? I'm pretty sure Courtney Paris will be a Top 3 pick in next year's WNBA Draft--and she might even go #1 overall.

Quote:
I never said she didn't need work. I never said that she was a WNBA caliber player in this form.

No, what you said is that I never watched her play. When I proved that to be false fifty times over, you changed your stripes. Typical teenager. You can't make up your mind what to think.

Quote:
But she is certainly not just a fat center with zero athleticism.

That's exactly what she is until you or her can prove otherwise.

Mathies to LA 2013
abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

You must be a lot of fun to be around in person.

MattinDE

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, can we agree that she is a developing player with a LOT of potential who has a lot of work to do to realize her potential?
abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never said she wasn't.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
Laughing

You must be a lot of fun to be around in person.

I am, but you'll never find out. I don't hang out with people under 21 unless they're family.

MattinDE wrote:
Guys, can we agree that she is a developing player with a LOT of potential who has a lot of work to do to realize her potential?

Depends on what you mean by "a lot of potential". If by that you mean she can crack a rotation and be a decent bench player/sometimes starter in her future (whenever that may be), then I might be inclined to agree provided she does what's necessary to get there. If you mean that she'll be a WNBA superstar, keep dreaming. She is undersized, overweight, and not athletic. Even before she put on the weight, she wasn't very athletic (and this was against high schoolers). As LibWNBAFan pointed out, she's got short arms--which hinder her ability to play defense at this level even against people her height (because most of them are either longer or more athletic--or both). She is not Charles Barkley or even Lyndra Littles (current UVA forward and former fat girl who could dunk on a regulation goal even before she lost 20 pounds). She is Michael Sweetney.

I do think Larkins will be cut from a roster at least once in her career before she can make the commitment to improving her physique/skill level and find an ideal situation for her.

Mathies to LA 2013
cherrystreet

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely don't think Houston made a mistake taking Ajavon over Larkins as someone stated. Matee is good for what she can do. She just has to learn to play within the team concept and not try to dominate the ball on offense. And for godsake go to the basket and not settle for the outside shot.

As far as Larkins goes, she still knows how to box out. But seems a little too slow and a little too short. Active post will eat her alive. And I can't see her really taking time away from the post players on her team.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um Jessica Davenport for starters. I'd rather have Larkins out there than J-Dav right now...

Besides, before you guys keep foaming at the mouth at the thought of Larkins being athletic or not, let's see how she plays overseas first. Besides, we in Libertyville like her quite a lot. She's better than DTrain already but she's going thru rookie "pains".

bballfan2005 wrote:

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I definitely don't think Houston made a mistake taking Ajavon over Larkins as someone stated. Matee is good for what she can do. She just has to learn to play within the team concept and not try to dominate the ball on offense. And for godsake go to the basket and not settle for the outside shot.

As far as Larkins goes, she still knows how to box out. But seems a little too slow and a little too short. Active post will eat her alive. And I can't see her really taking time away from the post players on her team.

I agree. We're fine in the post position right now. Mistie barely plays as it is as does Tot. Maybe Matee wasn't the best choice, but she certainly was a better choice than Erlana.

Edited to fix my stupidity and poor reading comprehension.

Last edited by UTexRulz23 on 08/06/08 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Um Jessica Davenport for starters. I'd rather have Larkins out there than J-Dav right now...

Larkins was approaching the end of the rotation BEFORE Davenport was activated. Davenport has something that Erlana will never have--four extra inches of height.

KeiraNY wrote:
Besides, before you guys keep foaming at the mouth at the thought of Larkins being athletic or not, let's see how she plays overseas first. Besides, we in Libertyville like her quite a lot. She's better than DTrain already but she's going thru rookie "pains".

How is Larkins playing overseas going to help? Is she going to have healthy meals prepared for her? Is someone from the Liberty staff going to monitor her weight loss or whether or not she's installed something new in her game? I doubt it. It's hard for a player to improve her skill set if all she's doing is playing against weaker competition in her current state. She'll just rack up numbers over there and then come back here the same way she left--undersized, overweight, and not athletic.

She may be better than DTrain (up for debate), but she's also playing in a different league than the one White played in--one where the post players are more athletic and, to be honest, more skilled. If she doesn't improve what she can control (her physique and her skill level), she won't make it.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: