RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nancy Darsch named Storm Asst Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:00 pm    ::: Nancy Darsch named Storm Asst Coach Reply Reply with quote

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/storm/2004325217_webstorm03.html

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is she a good guard coach? Because that's what we've been hoping for ever since Jenny Boo left us. Any other thoughts from those of you who have experience with her?

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she worked with the post players when Suzie was the head coach of the Lynx.

From what I remember, I don't think most Liberty or Mystic fans think much of her.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, that's too bad that Darsch left Boston College. She could've been on the cusp of seeing great things develop with the Eagles.
Orion

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:30 pm    ::: Nanct Darsch Reply Reply with quote

As a Mystic fan, I had some doubts about her as a coach, on occasion. However she had an enormous struggle going on with Claw, who was just about uncoachable during those days. She also could not pick her players. Wes Unseld (wonderful guy, but terrible as a judge of female talent) insisted they pick Tausha Mills, and other non contributors.

She also got picked on by some fans in what felt like a combination of racism and sexism, IMHO.

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:37 pm    ::: Re: Nanct Darsch Reply Reply with quote

She finally gets to be on the same team as Swoopes; and not against her for once.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 04/03/08 4:03 pm    ::: Re: Nanct Darsch Reply Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
However she had an enormous struggle going on with Claw, who was just about uncoachable during those days.

Could it be that she was just a wack coach?

PostPosted: 04/03/08 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Old school in Seattle...

PostPosted: 04/03/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh. my. gawd. i have seen it all now.

PostPosted: 04/03/08 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Darsch and Adubato were two mistakes from New York for the Mystics. Darsch was stuck on Andrea Nagy when she should've given Rita Williams more playing time.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You poor bastards. I think Anne Donovan knows more about guards than Nancy Darsch does.

This is all an underhanded plot to make the 1998 Pinnacle cards relevant again, isn't it? Call me when Cindy Brown wanders back into the league.

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
oh. my. gawd. i have seen it all now.

Right. And it's the same people, regardless of how bad they are...

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
You poor bastards. I think Anne Donovan knows more about guards than Nancy Darsch does.

Oh God, NO!!!

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

This is all an underhanded plot to make the 1998 Pinnacle cards relevant again, isn't it? Call me when Cindy Brown wanders back into the league.

Oh gee, way to bring us down Queenie, couldn't you all have let us keep our heads in the cloud a little longer?

I'm assuming it wasn't her coaching that got the Libs to the championship game in '97?

Quote:
Darsch was most recently at Boston College, but has had WNBA experience as a head coach with Washington from 2001-02 and New York as the inaugural coach in 1997, leading the Liberty to a 17-11 record and the WNBA championship game. She was also an assistant at Minnesota.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
sambista

PostPosted: 04/03/08 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

i would rather enjoy cindy "downtown" brown wandering back in. i miss her. hell, michelle edwards could come back, too. sh*t, bring 'em all back. i've got tons of '98 pinnacles in storage!

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:

Oh gee, way to bring us down Queenie, couldn't you all have let us keep our heads in the cloud a little longer?

I'm assuming it wasn't her coaching that got the Libs to the championship game in '97?
]

The same coaching that coached us out of the playoffs in 98. sigh. I can still remember listening to the game and shouting along with the radio announcers, put the fuckin' starters back in!!

Though, I'm guessing the announcers were only THINKING the f-word, not saying it, or the game would have been more memorable.

PostPosted: 04/03/08 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Oh Lordy! Say it isn't true!

Taoduck

PostPosted: 04/04/08 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're really into recycling up here in Seattle, but this is getting ridiculous.

PostPosted: 04/04/08 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Include me in on the people who disliked Darsch. And I very rarely criticize coaches. The game that RedEqualsLuck was referring to was against Detroit in the final game in '98. She left Lobo on the bench for 9 straight minutes and the Lib blew a lead of something like 16 points. The previous game against Cleveland she absolutely refused to double team Isabelle Fijalkowski who absolutely ate us alive down the stretch of a game close enough that two or three buckets could have made a difference. In '98 the Lib started off 8-9 and then went on a monster run. Why, you ask? Because that is when Spoon started calling the plays. The announcers talked about it on-air...public knowledge. In '97 the Lib did indeed make it to the finals. They also started off with the league's best record and wilted down the stretch when teams started catching up to what they were doing. I haven't looked up the exact record combining the end of '97 and the beginning of '98. But if I remember correctly, in '97 the Lib began the year about 13-2. They smothered teams with their defense. I think they finished 17-11 though like I said I have not looked it up. Regardless, I know their record down the stretch of '97 was terrible. Combining the end of '97 with the beginning of '98, their record was something like 12-18, and it took Spoon calling the plays to get them out of their doldrums. As for her X's and O's, I was never too impressed. Her offense never involved much in the way of screening. My guess would be that her bizarre substitutions in the final game of '98 contributed to her being let go by the Lib, though that is purely my opinion and not anything that I have factual knowledge of. I do know that the TV announcers were all over her about it, and the Lib announcers have also never been particularly critical of the coaches. And Blaze has proven to be pretty patient with coaches since then, so you would not think that it was just a knee-jerk reaction letting Darsch go.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/04/08 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what annoyed me about darsch was that she was a perpetual sourpuss. always looked like she was enduring something painful. it was hard to imagine she could inspire or motivate anyone to play, much less win.

the rain will suit her.

PostPosted: 04/04/08 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
the rain will suit her.

Laughing Laughing

Oh my. The last few years, I like being a Storm fan from a distance better than up close.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
norwester

PostPosted: 04/04/08 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<unrealistic optimism>It has been a decade since then. Perhaps she has changed/grown as a person and coach/learned from her past mistakes.</uo>

I have to echo Lakota in thanking you guys for your comforting words. But that's why I come here: pure, unvarnished opinion. It's certainly been enlightening.

I have to admit I'm a touch worried about having another coach who is great at developing a game plan, but can't adapt on the fly when other teams figure it out. I think those types of coaches interview well, though. But then again, she's not our head coach, and while Brian has had success and failure in the past I'm willing to give him a chance, and he should ultimately be calling the shots, not Nancy.

It's frustrating with all our openings that we didn't pick up some names that make you sit back and say "wow" or at a minimum "yeah, that works." Confused

PostPosted: 04/04/08 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
what annoyed me about darsch was that she was a perpetual sourpuss. always looked like she was enduring something painful. it was hard to imagine she could inspire or motivate anyone to play, much less win.

heidi van de veer, part two. Sad

PostPosted: 04/04/08 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if they're gonna make picks like that, why not liven it up? let's bring mary murphy back. let's get vera jones in there. and fran harris. (we have to keep doris behind the mike.) where's ron rothstein? jay bilas? hey, how 'bout debbie antonelli? she's already got the traveling down pat.

PostPosted: 04/04/08 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
LakotaStorm wrote:

]

The same coaching that coached us out of the playoffs in 98. sigh. I can still remember listening to the game and shouting along with the radio announcers, put the fuckin' starters back in!!

Though, I'm guessing the announcers were only THINKING the f-word, not saying it, or the game would have been more memorable.

oooh Yea, that makes me even more happy. *bigger sigh* oh well I'll stick with my mantra "maybe a new team will be what she needs" at least until I see reason to panic.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: