RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sue Bird a Liberty fan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 4:49 pm    ::: Sue Bird a Liberty fan? Reply Reply with quote

NBA prediction:

"Eastern Conference: With the addition of Jamal Crawford, the Knicks are my pick to come out of the East. Not to mention I'm from New York, and they're my team, so I'd pick them regardless. But I obviously also like the Heat, not only because of Shaq, but because Dwayne Wade is one of the top young players in the league.
Western Conference: I'll stick with the Kings because I do every year.
Home Cookin': But don't be surprised if the Sonics make a surprise push behind Ray Allen and Nick Collison.
Rookie of the Year: Emeka Okafor, Charlotte Bobcats
M.V.P.: Shaq
Champions: The Knicks to win it all. In six games."

NFL prediction:

"Storm point guard Sue Bird lent her celebrity to the MNF atmosphere. Asked which team she wanted to win, the WNBA champion and Olympic gold medalist admitted to being a New York Giants fan. Makes sense. The former University of Connecticut star grew up in New York..."

With such loyalty to NY teams, is it too much to assume that she was a Liberty fan while in high school and college?
And she still is, but she's a professional and can't talk about it?

I'm just saying that because there's a very interesting story regarding professional athletes and their club allegiances. In a film released this year, Pelé admitted to being a Corinthians fan, even though he spent his entire career playing for Santos. The funny thing is that Corinthians (my fav soccer team) never won a single title during Pelé's career and, on top of that, it is the team Pelé most scored goals against. So, when he finally retired to play for Cosmos in NY in 1974, Corinthians reached the finals.
Way to put your emotions aside...
But anyway, if Sue can be that blind about the Knicks, she most certainly is a loyal fan.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're reaching! Laughing

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Wait until she's retired Wink

PostPosted: 12/07/04 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Wait until she's retired Wink

But I won't care then!! She'll be old and wrinkly! Shocked

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

But I won't care then!! She'll be old and wrinkly! Shocked

Old, yes. Wrinkles are optional Wink

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, you win! Embarassed

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Old Bird... lol

Well whenever they ask the NBA Free Agents where they'd like to play, they almost always say New York. I can't imagine why they'd want to play for the Knicks, especially when they have no cap room, so my guess is that they just want to play in NYC and go to all the swanky clubs as a VIP. Razz Not sure how much of a clubber is Sue though...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Old Bird... lol

Well whenever they ask the NBA Free Agents where they'd like to play, they almost always say New York. I can't imagine why they'd want to play for the Knicks, especially when they have no cap room, so my guess is that they just want to play in NYC and go to all the swanky clubs as a VIP. Razz Not sure how much of a clubber is Sue though...

That's not it Admiral. They see how much freaking money they gave Alan "The Stiff" Houston and have visions of how much they're going to get!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh, guys, we're talking about the WNBA. Money is not a factor. Plus, living in an expensive city as NYC is not a good idea if you're not making much.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus, I'm not saying that she wants to play for the Liberty. She seems quite well in Seattle. All I'm saying is that she is fond of NY teams and, by association, could be a Liberty fan.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think one day Sue Bird would be a VERY good GM for the Liberty...

dtsnms wrote:

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
I think one day Sue Bird would be a VERY good GM for the Liberty...

On second thought, she's been linked to Jamal Crawford and Jesse Palmer, so I'm maybe a little far off lol...

PostPosted: 12/07/04 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue was a very big Liberty fan especially in high school.
boogiezen

PostPosted: 12/07/04 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

honestly i hope she's playing for Ny in the future...I like seattle but Ny is better for her....

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/04 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
honestly i hope she's playing for Ny in the future...I like seattle but Ny is better for her....

Why is NY better? She's winning titles in Seattle.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY isn't better by any means. In Seattle she has an MVP playing alongside her (ok, 2), she's making the max and she's winning titles. She doesn't have a psycho GM or a clueless coach.
Plus, NY fans are still the ones voting her into the ASG starting lineup anyway...
She doesn't have to play for NY, but that would make her even bigger, that's for sure. The exponential effect for superstars playing for NY teams is a fact. For better or for worse, if you're a star athlete playing for a NY team, whatever you do gets blown out of proportion.
Just ask Alex Rodriguez...

PostPosted: 12/07/04 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

She doesn't have to play for NY, but that would make her even bigger, that's for sure. The exponential effect for superstars playing for NY teams is a fact. For better or for worse, if you're a star athlete playing for a NY team, whatever you do gets blown out of proportion.

That's true for players in major sports, but I'm not sure it's true for WNBA players. Bird already has more endorsements than anybody on the Liberty.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
For better or for worse, if you're a star athlete playing for a NY team, whatever you do gets blown out of proportion.

Yeah, Birdy would never leave her fellow hugging mate. Sue just bought a house in Seattle too... Razz

Don't forget Derek Jeter...

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon sells more jerseys than Sue Bird and she's not a superstar (or as talented and accomplished).
That's what I'm talking about. Becky wouldn't be that big if she were playing in Charlotte. Or Seattle, for that matter.
I'm just saying that she would achieve that "larger than life" status, to a lesser degree if compared to other major sports, I agree.
But it would be huge for her and for the W. Let's see what happens with NYque first though.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Becky Hammon sells more jerseys than Sue Bird and she's not a superstar (or as talented and accomplished).
That's what I'm talking about. Becky wouldn't be that big if she were playing in Charlotte. Or Seattle, for that matter.
I'm just saying that she would achieve that "larger than life" status, to a lesser degree if compared to other major sports, I agree.
But it would be huge for her and for the W. Let's see what happens with NYque first though.

Not sure Sue would like the spotlight though... She's not much of a party person as it is and she already got a taste of 'The Treament'when she did her Dime Magazine spread and offered to be spanked on the radio... That and where would she park her Lincoln Navigator? Exclamation

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Not sure Sue would like the spotlight though... She's not much of a party person as it is and she already got a taste of 'The Treament'when she did her Dime Magazine spread and offered to be spanked on the radio... That and where would she park her Lincoln Navigator? Exclamation

If you don't like the spotlight, don't bring a Backstreet Boy as your date to a major awards show.
I don't buy that. She likes the spotlight. VERY MUCH.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

If you don't like the spotlight, don't bring a Backstreet Boy as your date to a major awards show.
I don't buy that. She likes the spotlight. VERY MUCH.

Whaaa? Shocked Says Sue...

lol, well compared to Diana, who went with Emeka Okafur and flashed the camera twice, Sue's pretty tame Razz Swin's big on spotlights too.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 12/07/04 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

regrading "The BSB" thing...i'm pretty sure it was just a SET UP by her agency...i don't blame her for that... Rolling Eyes and besides if she really wants the spotlight and play for NY how come she signed an extension for another years? and i love her "LOYALTY" more than anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/08/04 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never said that she wanted to play for the Liberty, although I think she does, but that's just me.
You don't walk away from a championship team with possibility to win more championships to go to a rebuilding team (wishful thinking) and not make more than you are already making.
There's no point in doing that. She is winning titles, she's making good money, the only reason maybe would be playing for more than 5k people on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 12/08/04 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Jeter? He's the tamest of them all!! LOL!!

I really do think Sue Bird likes the spotlight. Perhaps not in the same degree as Swin or DT, but she likes it. Besides, both her AND Mique make the news when they play NY anyway. It's amazing really...they both make the highlights reel, whether the Libs win or lose. The NY media love those two...and always w/ the "Christ the King" tag.

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
For better or for worse, if you're a star athlete playing for a NY team, whatever you do gets blown out of proportion.

Yeah, Birdy would never leave her fellow hugging mate. Sue just bought a house in Seattle too... Razz

Don't forget Derek Jeter...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: