RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How can some college bball fans hate the W?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/09/05 10:56 am    ::: How can some college bball fans hate the W? Reply Reply with quote

Can someone explain this to me?

Quote:
I don't watch the WNBA, don't watch the NBA either. I think the WNBA is poor basketball. They don't have the practice time and the good coaches are still at the college level. Yes, there are a few good coaches in the WNBA but the majority of them are not quality... professional coaches. Donovan has had her share of off the court problems so don't tell me how great she is. The majority of the WNBA coaches are there for a reason... I'll watch college or high school anyday before I watch the WNBA. Until the WNBA is serious about what they are doing and the league flushes away some of the stigma and poor play, I don't watch it.

http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psuhoopswomen/

*Screams silently*

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/09/05 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy, it's spelled B O N E Y A R D

CRASH

PostPosted: 06/10/05 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two words - Penn and State Evil or Very Mad

Look at thier choice of words "Donavan has had her share of off the court problems..." or "... and the league flushes away some of the stigma" Whoever wrote this has obveiously gone to the Portland school of female athletics. Thus, thier ignorance and intollerance is showing!

Blue I don't know what to tell you. This is not going away any time soon. It's a double edge sword, If the Athletes come out publicly to start getting people used to the FACTS then they could lose their jobs, scholarships, ect. So they don't and this behavior continues. Sucks huh?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/10/05 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is the "Our Girls Syndrome" that permeates the fan base of women's basketball.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 06/10/05 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
It is the "Our Girls Syndrome" that permeates the fan base of women's basketball.

Agreed. Alot of wcbb fans dont watch the WNBA or they only follow the teams that have alumni from "their" school..

KatValeska

PostPosted: 06/10/05 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno Blue. I wouldn't classify the statements you quoted as hate. I certainly lack the passion for the W that I have for the college game, but I still watch about half the games that are televised nationally, and had a good ol' time watching the finals last year.

BUT - it bothers me that I'm unable to get as excited about the pro league as I do the college game. And believe me, I've thought a heck of a lot about why this is so. Really, I do care about the success of the W, I see it as very very important. But while there are seemingly obvious reasons why I am far more passionate about the college game, such as I live in a major conference college town, while theres no W team within reasonable driving distance, and there are no current players from the college team I love in the W at the moment - but still there is more to it than that.

Heck, I know how talented the players are and that they indeed are coached by top-notch professionals, yet there is something else missing. Some reason I don't get nearly as excited about watching Sacto play the Sparks as I do, heck, watching Duquesne play Dayton.

It certainly isn''t hate, and if I ever knock the league intentionally i hope someone knocks me upside the head.

I also think that passions leaning heavily in the other direction exist as well. While there are plenty of crossover fans like Cam and Keegan -there seems to be plenty of W fans on these various forums whose interest in the college game doesn't seem to extend beyond individual players likely to be taken in the next W draft.

Anyway, just sharing some thoughts on the matter, even if they don't really lead anywhere. Wish I had concrete answers, but I don't.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/10/05 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, how do you get to see Duquense play Dayton? Are these games ever televised?

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
I dunno Blue. I wouldn't classify the statements you quoted as hate. I certainly lack the passion for the W that I have for the college game, but I still watch about half the games that are televised nationally, and had a good ol' time watching the finals last year.

BUT - it bothers me that I'm unable to get as excited about the pro league as I do the college game. And believe me, I've thought a heck of a lot about why this is so. Really, I do care about the success of the W, I see it as very very important. But while there are seemingly obvious reasons why I am far more passionate about the college game, such as I live in a major conference college town, while theres no W team within reasonable driving distance, and there are no current players from the college team I love in the W at the moment - but still there is more to it than that.

Heck, I know how talented the players are and that they indeed are coached by top-notch professionals, yet there is something else missing. Some reason I don't get nearly as excited about watching Sacto play the Sparks as I do, heck, watching Duquesne play Dayton.

It certainly isn''t hate, and if I ever knock the league intentionally i hope someone knocks me upside the head.

I also think that passions leaning heavily in the other direction exist as well. While there are plenty of crossover fans like Cam and Keegan -there seems to be plenty of W fans on these various forums whose interest in the college game doesn't seem to extend beyond individual players likely to be taken in the next W draft.

Anyway, just sharing some thoughts on the matter, even if they don't really lead anywhere. Wish I had concrete answers, but I don't.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/05 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It happens with all college sports. There are MCBB fans that hate the NBA, college football fans that hate the NFL, even college wrestling fans that hate the WWE. There will always be some fans that won't make that jump.

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"even college wrestling fans that hate the WWE. "

I would wager most of them ....

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Listen, brother, you better not be talking smack about the WWE. Hulkamania is running wild over this board, brother. So say your prayers, eat your vitamins, or you'll feel the wrath of the 24" pythons. Whatcha' gonna do Matty when Hulkamania runs wild on you!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Listen, brother, you better not be talking smack about the WWE. Hulkamania is running wild over this board, brother. So say your prayers, eat your vitamins, or you'll feel the wrath of the 24" pythons. Whatcha' gonna do Matty when Hulkamania runs wild on you!

Hey, don't open that can on me. I smell what The Rock is cookin'.

You have to admit, though, there is really know connection between college wrestling or Olympic wrestling and what the WWE does.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/05 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
You have to admit, though, there is really know connection between college wrestling or Olympic wrestling and what the WWE does.

Kurt Angle might disagree.

I miss Linda Miles. :sigh:

PostPosted: 06/10/05 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Kurt Angle might disagree.

I miss Linda Miles. :sigh:

Angle made it acceptable; now Shelton Benjamin and the now retired Brock Lesnar were former NCAA champs. It's still not Hulkamania though; since you smel-l-l-l-l-l-l--l what the Rock is cooking!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/10/05 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Hey, don't open that can on me. I smell what The Rock is cookin'.

I bet you can. Tramp. Shocked

Jerseygirlie

PostPosted: 06/10/05 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, the W just isn't the same as WCBB. I watch the W when I can, but with WCBB, I make the time to watch it and keep up to date with it all. I have my team, and they are my team! I haven't developed that kind of loyalty to a team in the WNBA yet. I am guessing it will just take time for me to get into it, but the short season and the fact that I have other priorities for the summer, hamper those efforts. It's not really hate for the WNBA, but more a lack of time to get into it.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/10/05 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if it dries up and goes away one day, all the women's bball fans that waited around for "somebody else" to buy the tickets to fill the seats and make the teams' money so the league could survive and be a viable entity in the sports entertainment marketplace, will not have an excuse for not going to the games. Why? Because there won't be any games for them to attend.

Jerseygirlie, I don't mean to call you out or anything, I think you have expressed a prevailing point in the minds of a lot of fans that find reasons to not get to at least a couple of games a year.

No one gave this league a chance in hell nine years ago, and as we sit here today, the product is better than it has ever been, over all...but the fannies are not filling the stands as in the early days. Some markets are holding their own, but over all it is getting scary to me.

WCBB is also better than ever, and for the life of me I cannot understand why that does not translate to the pro game, at least a little.

Sass

PostPosted: 06/10/05 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I agree with ProfessorChaos, I won't rehash all the same points. But I would like to reverse the question: I've met plenty of people whose enthusiasm for the W has not translated into the same thing for college or high school. Though many are people who were never into sports before, the attitude annoys the hell out of me. They act like the W is all there is, or at least the most important. Why is that? To earn my respect as a sports fan, you have to be able to appreciate the game on all levels - even AAU.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 06/11/05 2:12 pm    ::: why the W Reply Reply with quote

Interesting thread. Warning: long post.

Sass wrote:
Since I agree with ProfessorChaos, I won't rehash all the same points. But I would like to reverse the question: I've met plenty of people whose enthusiasm for the W has not translated into the same thing for college or high school. Though many are people who were never into sports before, the attitude annoys the hell out of me. They act like the W is all there is, or at least the most important. Why is that? To earn my respect as a sports fan, you have to be able to appreciate the game on all levels - even AAU.

I hope I can appreciate the game at all levels, but I have a limited amount of time I can spend watching it, which is why (for example) I almost never watch men's college ball; I spend more time than I should watching WCBB, WNBA and the NBA. That doesn't mean I don't respect MCBB players.

I'm much more vocal and active as a Lynx fan than as a Gophers fan, even though I find the games about equally fun to watch in the abstract. Why? Three reasons.

First, the Gophers don't need my help or advocacy: they're already a big deal, they're not going to go away, and they even have a booster club. The Lynx could use more attention. (I don't think they're going to go away either, but still.)

Second, I'm equally comfortable celebrating a Jamie Broback steal and a Vanessa Hayden block, but part of being a fan is complaining, wishing your team would do something differently, good-naturedly second-guessing the players and the coach, and I'm much more comfortable criticizing grownup professionals than I am criticizing college sophomores (who are supposedly there to study, not to play ball).

Third, inequality among conferences and teams. Objectively, I think dynasties are good for the college game, because they create fans, and good for the pro game, because they ensure that some players in each year's draft will be used to having very skilled teammates. But the dynasty factor, and the way college recruitment works (where talented kids mostly go to schools that win) takes some of my enjoyment away when I watch, for example, Minnesota beat the U of Michigan, or UConn beat Providence. (And those are within-conference matchups.) I know there have been quick turnarounds (Minnesota!) but they're not the norm. In the W, by contrast, there are no guaranteed wins, not even vs. Charlotte or San Antonio, and the draft and salary cap ensure that no team can engineer dominance forever. So every game is hard-fought.

Now if we could just get a longer pro season...

KatValeska

PostPosted: 06/11/05 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Out of curiosity, how do you get to see Duquense play Dayton? Are these games ever televised?"

Actually, yes - A-10 TV, which, of course, i don't get. I was generalizing, and just named those two teams off the top of my head. Still, I make time to listen in to games like that on the Internet, while I tend to watch W games, if they happen to be on when I'm home.

At present I'm a bit vexed that the W team I like the best, the Lynx, were listed on wbb on-line as playing today on Fox Sports. But, turns out not in my area. Instead, we get the all-important clash between the Rockies and Tigers.
Rolling Eyes

Even if that wasn't on now, they'd probably have shown poker or best damn sports list or some similar tripe.

Hopefully I'll be able to fit Direct TV into the budget soon - goal is to have it by November.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/11/05 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
"Out of curiosity, how do you get to see Duquense play Dayton? Are these games ever televised?"

Actually, yes - A-10 TV, which, of course, i don't get. I was generalizing, and just named those two teams off the top of my head. Still, I make time to listen in to games like that on the Internet, while I tend to watch W games, if they happen to be on when I'm home.

At present I'm a bit vexed that the W team I like the best, the Lynx, were listed on wbb on-line as playing today on Fox Sports. But, turns out not in my area. Instead, we get the all-important clash between the Rockies and Tigers.
Rolling Eyes

Even if that wasn't on now, they'd probably have shown poker or best damn sports list or some similar tripe.

Hopefully I'll be able to fit Direct TV into the budget soon - goal is to have it by November.

Have you watched any of the Web casts on wnba.com? The Lynx game was on tonight, and they do a pretty good job of spreading the teams around.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 06/12/05 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Have you watched any of the Web casts on wnba.com? The Lynx game was on tonight, and they do a pretty good job of spreading the teams around"

It's free this year too? Dang - wished I'd have known that sooner. I am signed up now - thanks for the tip..

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 06/12/05 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am more of a fan of the WNBA because in several ways, it's easier. There are only 13 teams and less than 175 players with only a nine year history. I can't even really keep up with all of the Big 12 and UConn, Stanford, Minnesota, Michigan State, Duke, UNC, and Tennessee.

Most of all, the summer season has fit my student schedule better since it doesn't compete with playing/coaching/broadcasting my own basketball schedule with some classes and work mixed in as well.

Perhaps SLU's new coach will put together a decent program that sparks some additional interest.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just happened to glance at this board for the first time and thought I'd give an opposite perspective.

I absolutely can't watch women's college basketball. But I can't watch men's college basketball or football either. I don't want to disparage something that so many of my buds here obviously love and I point out my similar feelings towards the men's games to establish that it's not something I have against the women's game.

School passions provide a context that makes college sports much more interesting than it really is, in my opinion. It infuses the actual contests with a whopping load of consequence that if stripped away from the sport would (and in my case, does) leave the game to stand or fall on its own merits and women's college basketball, while it is getting better, just doesn't have anything to offer me. I've tried. It stinks. Get over it. Twisted Evil

At any time the WNBA is comprised of the most select few players from the last (whatever the long end of a WNBA player's career consists of) ten or so years. 130 women culled from a talent pool of tens of thousands of female basketball players. I want to see the best players competing against one another not because I'm a snob about it. It's just makes for something better by my standards of what constitutes something better.

And even with that kind of selectivity in terms of talent the WNBA games are as prone to bad and boring games as any other pro sport is. How many bad Super Bowls have there been? (I wouldn't really know because of my long standing tradition of falling asleep during Super Bowls.)

'cause people I effen hate sports, quite frankly. Major league baseball, college football, NASCAR, they all make me want to shoot myself. None of it is anything like it used to be EXCEPT for women's basketball (not like women's basketball used to be, like sports used to be) and that's because the WNBA came along and concentrated the best players in the world into one small league that hasn't stopped TRYING yet and hasn't yet been destroyed by the economics of modern pro sports.

But sports has become a very disgusting enterprise to me and that DOES include the college game. Boring is actually the least of its problems.

I do obviously love the WNBA. I wish I didn't really because it's a goddamned obsession. Obviously. I don't entirely understand it either. It's like Woody and Sun Yi. The heart wants what it wants. What are you going to do? I thought I was finally over it this past offseason but it hit me worse than ever just as the season started.

And another thing... I think this thread should be posted in the WNBA board as it really amounts to a comparison between the WNBA and something else.

PostPosted: 06/18/05 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"women's college basketball, while it is getting better, just doesn't have anything to offer me. I've tried. It stinks. Get over it. Twisted Evil "

That's as far as I needed to read.

Thanks for filling those of us who are clueless about Quality in there jammer.

Out of politeness, I won't mention where I've filed the mental note I received from that post.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/19/05 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
"women's college basketball, while it is getting better, just doesn't have anything to offer me. I've tried. It stinks. Get over it. Twisted Evil "

That's as far as I needed to read.

Thanks for filling those of us who are clueless about Quality in there jammer.

Out of politeness, I won't mention where I've filed the mental note I received from that post.

Don't you get polite with ME, Professor!

Sorry you missed it but my entire post is an expression of why women's college basketball is, for me, lumped in there with major league baseball, college football, and every other organized sport I can think of with the exception of the NFL (and that's only because of the Steelers and doesn't extend beyond whomever they happen to be playing that week) and of course, the WNBA. I don't think I could have been any more clear about the fact that I wasn't singling out WCBB for derision and the "twisted evil" emoticon was placed right where it was as a signal that I was only razzing you guys with those comments about WCBB stinking and you all getting over it.

Don't forget that this thread is about why some WCBB fans don't like the WNBA and started out with a pretty unambigous trashing quote by someone with an obvious ax to grind but who nevertheless seemed to hit a chord with some of YOU.

YOU meaning YOU. Razz

You said that YOU felt something was missing in the WNBA. You then point out that you live in a 'major conference college town.' If you'd read the rest of my post you'd see that I said that school passions are a very important factor in the popularity of all college sports. I'm sure people would hang from the rafters to watch a beer chugging contest between rival schools.

You want to talk about something missing? Take all that school passion away, that for your own team and that which, because it's a part of you and something you contain, is easily transferable to other teams, games, rivalries etc., strip all that emotion out of the sports and then try to watch this stuff.

All college sports are played mostly by individuals who are not as talented as the few among them, the Swoopeses, Leslies, and Holdsclaws, or, on another level, the Teasleys, Snows, and Abrosimovas who will go on to WNBA careers.

I just tried to offer a point or two, in my own razzing and, it is hoped, provacative way, to counter or answer the complaints that people who might drool over a game between two midwestern college basketball teams with no future WNBA players on the rosters have about a league where a Sheryl Swoopes might put a hellacious move on Diana Taurasi to win a basketball game.

If you haven't seen that. Go take a look. Professor you will never see THAT watching Duquesne (Go DUKES!) play Dayton. You can only see talent vs talent on THAT level in the WNBA.

http://www.wnba.com/broadband/

Change the date to 6/04 and press Comets/Mercury

(Trust me it's worth it if you haven't seen it. It's the kind of move Swoopes does like two time a year.)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: