RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Anybody Here Currently in College?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 06/05/05 12:39 am    ::: Is Anybody Here Currently in College? Reply Reply with quote

I am a Freshman(soon to be sophmore) at Michigan State University. How about everybody else?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/05/05 12:52 am    ::: Re: Is Anybody Here Currently in College? Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
I am a Freshman(soon to be sophmore) at Michigan State University. How about everybody else?

Don't know if this counts, but I am a part-time grad student at Purdue.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 06/05/05 10:52 am    ::: Re: Is Anybody Here Currently in College? Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PUmatty"]
MSUstudent31 wrote:

I hope to go back in the Fall, or at least by next winter session. I think I'm still a sophomere...it's been a while...
IUPUI? If my grades will get me in - LOL!

smenko

PostPosted: 06/05/05 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am pursuing my master's degree in divinity at Ecumenical Theological Seminary in downtown Detroit, part-time. I received my undergrad from the University of Detroit Mercy.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/05/05 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior, Hunter College (D-III, CUNYAC Smile ). On schedule to graduate next June, huzzah! *knocks on wood*

(now with spelling variations)
jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/05/05 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm currently taking meteorology classes on the internet from Mississippi State. Barring a major disaster, I'll graduate (and have the about-to-be-replaced AMS seal) by next summer.

herrade

PostPosted: 06/06/05 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

erm, will be teaching course, "race, gender and sexuality in U.S. history" at NYU in the fall. someday, will finish my dissertation and get my ass out of ny.

PostPosted: 06/06/05 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
erm, will be teaching course, "race, gender and sexuality in U.S. history" at NYU in the fall. someday, will finish my dissertation and get my ass out of ny.

Herrade ... that sounds fascinating. I want to take your class. Chance you can share your reading list with me on an PM?

herrade

PostPosted: 06/06/05 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Herrade ... that sounds fascinating. I want to take your class. Chance you can share your reading list with me on an PM?

syllabus isn't set yet, but when it is i'll pass it along.

for a good start, you can try gail bederman's manliness and civilization. sioban somerville's queering the color line is also a good place to start. it deals with the ways in which racism and theories of sexuality developed in tandem. a book that is hard but extremely rewarding is lisa duggan's sapphic slashers, which deals with a lesbian murder trial and the lynchings that started ida wells barnet on her campaign. i'm not just saying this because lisa is my dissertation advisor and i have to love her -- this book is hands down some of the best historical scholarship on race and sexuality you will ever find. she's brilliant.

PostPosted: 06/06/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

syllabus isn't set yet, but when it is i'll pass it along.

for a good start, you can try gail bederman's manliness and civilization. sioban somerville's queering the color line is also a good place to start. it deals with the ways in which racism and theories of sexuality developed in tandem. a book that is hard but extremely rewarding is lisa duggan's sapphic slashers, which deals with a lesbian murder trial and the lynchings that started ida wells barnet on her campaign. i'm not just saying this because lisa is my dissertation advisor and i have to love her -- this book is hands down some of the best historical scholarship on race and sexuality you will ever find. she's brilliant.

Thanks for the suggestions ... I actually have "Queering the Color Line" on my to-be-read shelf, and I will have to add the others as well. Siobhan was a professor at Purdue while I was an undergrad and I took to classes from her. She is an amazing teacher and I can trace the beginnings of some of my ideas about social constructionism, gender and sexuality back to her. I will never quite forgive Purdue for not working harder to keep her here.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/06/05 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:

Herrade, post the syllabus and reading list on here. Wish I could take the class!

herrade

PostPosted: 06/06/05 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Herrade, post the syllabus and reading list on here. Wish I could take the class!

get me a job at a U in arizona and i'll teach the class there... just for you!

PostPosted: 06/06/05 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
herrade wrote:

Ditto, please.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/06/05 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, I see a new "hook" ...

RebKell University! Herrade can be the first professor.

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 06/06/05 5:28 pm    ::: Re: Is Anybody Here Currently in College? Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:

I just graduated from Maryville University of St. Louis this spring with my BS in Business Administration. I am collecting some credits and may end up with a second BS in Management if I'm not careful.

My cousin will be a freshman at MSU this fall. He heads up next week for registration/orientation.

PostPosted: 06/06/05 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My daughter just showed me a book she's reading that some of you may find interesting: Fearless Girls, Wise Women and Beloved Sisters by Kathleen Ragan. It is about heroines in folktales from around the world.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 06/07/05 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be a freshman next year at Rhode Island College...
Honors program, oh boy.
Livin' up senior year for nowww.

jfox108

PostPosted: 06/07/05 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time at college - work for a university (admin asst for the history dept) and am finishing my journalism/PR degree. Will graduate next May with my oldest daughter. Alphabetically, she'll have her degree before me. Sad Younger daughter will be a freshman at a small liberal arts college (NAIA Div II) and will play bball (and hopefully study!)

UCThreeD

PostPosted: 06/07/05 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I completed two years at Roger Williams University (R.I.), took two years off, and will be entering Plymouth State University (N.H.) this fall. And I have no freaking clue what I want to major in. Mad Confused

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 06/07/05 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll enter Manchester Community College next year as a freshman, and will get my respiratory therapy degree. Then I will move out to Arizona, and get my nursing degree at Arizona State University.

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 06/08/05 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh I forgot, my major is Computer Science and Engineering..but Im changing it to Sports Management..I want to be a Sports Agent Cool ..I'm already working on my first client Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: