RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baseball fans...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/04/05 12:43 am    ::: Baseball fans... Reply Reply with quote

This story comes from a Virginia high school baseball game that happened Friday night between Dan River and Abingdon.

The game is scoreless through six. In the top of the 7th (they only play 7 in high school), Dan River gets a home run. Half inning ends with no one else scoring.

So Abingdon comes up, needing one run on its home field to keep the game and the season alive. The first guy up hits a single. Next batter bunts him to second. Then, all hell proceeds to break loose, in three pitches and a matter of maybe a minute.

First pitch...Abingdon's runner on second cuts loose for third, and then stops. Dan River's pitcher, for some crazy reason, goes ahead with the pitch. Runner gets to third safely, strike one with one out.

Here is where I ask...if you're the manager of the Abingdon team, what do you do to get that run home and tie the game? Decide before you read what's next...

So here's what happens. On the very next pitch, Abingdon's man on third sprints for home, while the batter squares to bunt. They call a squeeze play, to tie the game.

Batter misses the ball. Strike two.

The runner is out at home by five steps, and in the process knocks over the catcher. This is illegal as sin in Virginia baseball, so Abingdon's player gets thrown out of the game for that.

So now, you have a player ejected, two outs, two strikes, bases empty, still down 1-0. Maybe 30 seconds after it was 1 out, 1 strike, runner on third. That's an incredible turnaround in itself, but the game isn't technically over.

Next pitch...to quote Dan Patrick..."The Whiffff." Strike three. Dan River 1, Abingdon 0. Season over for Abingdon just like that. All in a matter of maybe a minute from the moment the runner hit third base. It had to be awful to be in the Abingdon dugout after that game ended. Wow.

So...with the runner on third, an 0-1 count, with one out, what do you think is the best course of action, down 1-0? If it's still 0-0, that's the perfect call, I think. But it takes a lot of guts to call a squeeze when you're just trying to tie the game.

What a crazy way to end a baseball game.

Kelli

PostPosted: 06/04/05 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Decide before you read what's next..."

I got here and paused to think about what I would do next. The first thing I thought was "well I wouldn't try a squeeze play".

Actually, it would be hard to really know what to decide without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the batter, baserunner, and fielders. Does the batter have homerun power? Can he lay down a good bunt? Do I have anybody on the bench that I can bring in to hit next (assuming that the baserunner is still on third and is not the second out as was the case here.) Can the baserunner get a quick jump? Where is the infield playing and how quiickly can they come in on a bunt? I still don't see a squeeze play as my best choice.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/04/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll answer questions as I know them, Kelli...

Quote:
Actually, it would be hard to really know what to decide without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the batter, baserunner, and fielders.

The batter was #9 in the order and had already struck out twice in the game, if memory serves me correctly, before that last at-bat. If it means anything. I'd have to assume that the opposing fielders are rather good, since they are in the regional tournament, after all. The runner is a speedster in that situation.

Quote:
Do I have anybody on the bench that I can bring in to hit next (assuming that the baserunner is still on third and is not the second out as was the case here.)

The leadoff hitter was next up, so he's a decent hitter.

Quote:
Can the baserunner get a quick jump?
Apparently so, since on the play before he was halfway between second and third and stopped before the pitcher delivered the ball.

Quote:
Where is the infield playing and how quiickly can they come in on a bunt?

If memory serves me correctly, they were either playing at medium depth, or perhaps a couple steps in.

Quote:
I still don't see a squeeze play as my best choice.

For obvious reasons, me neither. Now, if the game is 0-0 and you're trying to win the game, I think it's a fine idea. But not to tie, I don't think.

Kelli

PostPosted: 06/04/05 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, it would be hard to really know what to decide without knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the batter, baserunner, and fielders.

The batter was #9 in the order and had already struck out twice in the game, if memory serves me correctly, before that last at-bat.

Hmmmm...maybe coach could have considered a pinch hitter??

I have a feeling that game will haunt the coach for a long time. Too many 'what ifs' and options for Monday-morning managing.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/06/05 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with 1 out, runner on third, leadoff hitter on deck.....if I was the manager, I'd send up my best contact hitter available whether that be the scheduled #9 hitter or someone on the bench who was available as a pinch hitter....and then let them hit away. With 1 out, you take your chances on any number of things happening. Maybe the batter walks (or pulls a Rudy Stein and leans into the pitch to get hit on purpose), maybe there is a passed ball or wild pitch, maybe the pitcher grooves one just enough that the hitter can get one up in the air to the outfield.....maybe the batter puts the ball in play and the fielder makes an error....etc.

There are way too many possibilities to get the run in, even with the #9 hitter, to EVER consider a squeeze bunt as your primary option. Even if the pay is executed properly, it only has a 50/50 chance of being successful. That seems, to me, to be just an awful decision for a coach to make.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: