RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OT: Happy Hanukkah! The Body and Soul of Hanukkah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/07/04 1:44 pm    ::: OT: Happy Hanukkah! The Body and Soul of Hanukkah Reply Reply with quote

Reb, I hope you don't mind me posting more than once. I just want it to be seen.

Did Chanukah happen years ago, or is it happening now? Looking at the events today, you start to wonder. The story of a little candle pushing away the monster of frightening darkness, of human sensibility overcoming terror and brute force, of life and growth overcoming destruction -- the battle is very much alive within each of us, and in the world outside of us.

After all, the victory of light over darkness is the cosmic mega-drama -- the ongoing story of all that is. It reoccurs at every winter solstice, at every dawn of each day, with every photon of sunlight that breaks through the earth's atmosphere bringing it warmth and life-nurturing energy. With every breath of life, every cry of a newborn child, every blade of grass that breaks out from under the soil. With every flash of genius, every stroke of beauty, every decision to do good in the face of evil, to be kind where there is cruelty, to build where others destroy, to move humanity forward when others pull us toward chaos. And that is Chanukah.

Chanukah is more than a holiday; Chanukah is an eight-day spiritual journey. Many people know the story of Chanukah -- but only as a historical pretext to give gifts and eat latkes. We can call that the body of Chanukah. The soul of Chanukah is its meditation, joy, warmth and light. Not only in our homes with our loved ones, but with the entire world.

mb

PostPosted: 12/07/04 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I know is that Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song is my favorite Christmas carol.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday: family+food+ football=FUN.

X-mas and Halloween are too commercialized.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: