Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaye

PostPosted: 10/02/07 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="thatGAgirl"]
caune wrote:
Only question I have is....how close to this arena is GAgirls house Wink

thatGAgirl wrote:
Rule of thumb, you can't get anywhere in this city in less than 20 minutes. Tack another 15 to that if you don't actually live in the city LOL.

and tack on another 40 mins for the time it takes you to take the detour cause the road you came on is under construction when you try to go back on it...... lol.....

thatGAgirl wrote:
I will be the first one in line to pay my deposit if it happens! Very Happy

me too......

PostPosted: 10/02/07 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if Houston were moving-- and I wouldn't start generalizing or worrying about the rest of the league, should Houston move. You need to have a certain amount of money to run a team and absorb the likely losses, year after year. There have been rumors circulating since he bought the team that Hilton Koch, whatever his good intentions, doesn't actually have that amount of money. If that's the case the league needs to find an owner-- in whatever market-- who does.

I'm not sure how I think the league should respond to purported demands that the league monkey with the draft lottery. I am sure it's a crappy demand for new owners to make, and a lousy precedent to set-- but contracting to twelve teams would be a pretty lousy precedent too: if there's exactly one entity that wants a WNBA team, doesn't own one, and can afford to run one, that entity's in a pretty good bargaining position. Especially with the CBA coming up.

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 10/02/07 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now a team is moving? Good grief can we just find out what is going on!?! The only team I see moving is Minnesota, Houston has too much history with it. But we'll have to wait and see. I'd rather no team move Sad

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 10/02/07 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Much as I'm not sure an expansion franchise in Atlanta is a great idea, I really hope Bob's source is wrong as well. They'd be much better off adding a crappy expansion team, probably with an expansion fee of around $10m, than selling a team for much less than that and moving it into a (likely) poor market.

Last year the teams that got sold were ones where the NBA franchises that owned them had gotten tired of running them. Following that pattern, it'd be Detroit, Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Phoenix, Sacramento or San Antonio. Can't see Detroit selling, NY aren't gonna dump the Libs right now (they're in the middle of a sexual discrimintation suit for crying out loud), SA just started to show signs of progress, Phoenix just won a championship. That leaves Indiana, Minnesota or Sacramento if it's an NBA owner pulling out. The most obvious option if it's one of the independant owners is still Houston.

Yeah, screw this. I don't want to see another group of fans miserable about losing their team. Hope your source is wrong Bob.

I'm getting bombarded with stuff from SASS on season tickets tell your friends ect. type stuff. So it ain't them. Besides from all I've read and continue to read the Spurs Management seems to have recommited themselves to all three of its teams...Spurs (obvious) Silver Stars and the Rampage hocky team with all the marketing they are putting out.
What's the marketing like in the other cites from the front office? They wouldn'tbe pushing if there was a possibility to move?

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 10/02/07 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recieved a letter from Pacers Corp. saying there is a siminar and people that go get 4 Pacers tickets and 4 Fever tickets for 2008. So it's not the Fever either. Hell maybe it is Houston Sad

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
BCBG25

PostPosted: 10/02/07 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We might be getting ahead of ourselves as the Comets are hardly the only franchise on the ropes, but if it's indeed them, well, then it's a crying shame. Why sell it to an investor that didn't have the cash to run the franchise in the first place. If they did that only avoid a dispersal draft then I'd be really pissed off if I were a Comet fan, which is so far from the truth, you can only imagine how pissed off a real Comet fan would be. Shocked
But anyway, I don't want to speculate, I'm already down on Donna O as it is, I don't need more reasons to make up my mind.

PostPosted: 10/03/07 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
We might be getting ahead of ourselves as the Comets are hardly the only franchise on the ropes, but if it's indeed them, well, then it's a crying shame. Why sell it to an investor that didn't have the cash to run the franchise in the first place. If they did that only avoid a dispersal draft then I'd be really pissed off if I were a Comet fan, which is so far from the truth, you can only imagine how pissed off a real Comet fan would be. Shocked
But anyway, I don't want to speculate, I'm already down on Donna O as it is, I don't need more reasons to make up my mind.

The Stars and the Fever are fine. (The Fever have just hired at least one new person whose job will involve selling tickets.)

If I had the choice of (a) selling the Comets to someone who wanted to own them, but couldn't afford to absorb the losses in the long term, or (b) allowing the team to fold right away, I'd pick (a), with the goal of turning the team over to some other owner a year or three down the road. Wouldn't you pick (a) too? There is no (c). There may not be a (c) even now.

Fuzzball Records

PostPosted: 10/13/07 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta?

Oh Please, the South is a grave yard for WNBA franchises.

PostPosted: 10/13/07 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Houston might make sense in another way too. You'd think players such as Tina would know what's been going on for a while. Maybe that's part of her reasoning for possibly not returning.

I hope it's not Houston, because of the History. But I don't necessarily think it's horrible for the league. As a team didn't fold, and it's natural for fan attendance to decrease when they expect to win, and they don't. (Heck, it's happening a bit at Uconn) I am NOT saying it is a good thing, but it's not a sign that the WNBA is crashing and burning.

PostPosted: 10/13/07 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thrillrider08 wrote:
Now a team is moving? Good grief can we just find out what is going on!?! The only team I see moving is Minnesota, Houston has too much history with it. But we'll have to wait and see. I'd rather no team move Sad

The owner has voiced a five year commitment to the team beyond this year. He has deep pockets, regularly attends games, and voices his support of the team. I think another team will be moved before the Lynx.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/13/07 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuzzball Records wrote:
Atlanta?

Because one team, run into the ground by an asshole owner, is TOTALLY a barometer for an entire geographic region.

PostPosted: 10/13/07 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fuzzball Records wrote:
Atlanta?

Because one team, run into the ground by an asshole owner, is TOTALLY a barometer for an entire geographic region.

Depends on whether Florida is considered part of the South, I suppose...

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/13/07 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fuzzball Records wrote:
Atlanta?

Curious, what were the Sting's attendance numbers the years before Bob Johnson.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 10/13/07 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Smoovie wrote:
SORF wrote:
I find this discussion ironic...when the Comets were at the Compaq Center, Les did not receive the profits from the concessions and he had to pay rent to Chuck Watson. Now, some on this board say
Hilton made a bad deal because it doesn't include concessions and he has to pay rent.....hmmmm interesting.

Business is business... If Les laid it out there and he took it in, oh well. If it's too rich for your blood. Like Kenny Rogers says, "You gotta know when to fold 'em". If he let his ego talk him into playing with money he can't afford to lose. He's the sucker and he's suppose to get that ass spanked. Les is no fool. He wouldn't be where he is, if he was.

The problem is, if the league front office knows he's going to fall on his face and they let this sale go down. That's the beginning of the end for the WNBA, as far as I'm concern. Because if they are letting people buy teams when they know they can't maintain them, they are grasping and we're in trouble. My faith will be done..... I mean that with all my heart!! It will take a act of god to renew my faith in the league..

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=260247&highlight=#260247

Needless to say, I'm going to have a huge problem with the league if that happens.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
ZuG102

PostPosted: 10/13/07 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, I thought there will be 14 teams next season and that Houston is staying Confused

Fuzzball Records

PostPosted: 10/14/07 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While not part of the Confederate South, the two teams that folded in Florida are part of the South.

History shows the South is too focused on NASCAR, college football and pro wrestling for the WNBA to make a go of it.

PostPosted: 10/14/07 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuzzball Records wrote:
While not part of the Confederate South, the two teams that folded in Florida are part of the South.

Florida did, in fact, secede and become part of the Confederacy.

PostPosted: 10/14/07 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fuzzball Records wrote:
Atlanta?

Um, which one? Was it Bob Johnson of Charlotte? Or the owners of the former Orlando Miracle (which is now the CT Sun) and the former Miami Sol (which disbanded)?

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/14/07 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the WNBA can succeed in the South and I think that past examples aren't the best way to predict the future in this situation.

Charlotte was mismanaged and was not cared about at all.

Orlanda and Miami are both in Florida and Floridians have shown that they aren't consistent fans of any pro sports. People in Florida would rather go to the beach. I remember opening night of the NBA last year in Miami. The seats weren't full until midway through the first quarter and most of the fans left early. And we've already heard about the Florida Marlins and their attendence problems. Summer leagues(or most leagues, really) definitely will not work in Florida unless someone rich comes along and can afford to take hits financially.

That being said, I think Atlanta CAN work. And I think more cities could also work (Bentonville, Memphis, New Orleans, ect.). Just because cities are in the South doesn't mean we have to avoid those markets.

PostPosted: 10/14/07 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Fuzzball Records wrote:
Atlanta?

Um, which one? Was it Bob Johnson of Charlotte? Or the owners of the former Orlando Miracle (which is now the CT Sun) and the former Miami Sol (which disbanded)?

The asshole owner that referred to the team as a noose around his neck.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/14/07 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I think the WNBA can succeed in the South and I think that past examples aren't the best way to predict the future in this situation.

Charlotte was mismanaged and was not cared about at all.

Orlanda and Miami are both in Florida and Floridians have shown that they aren't consistent fans of any pro sports. People in Florida would rather go to the beach. I remember opening night of the NBA last year in Miami. The seats weren't full until midway through the first quarter and most of the fans left early. And we've already heard about the Florida Marlins and their attendence problems. Summer leagues(or most leagues, really) definitely will not work in Florida unless someone rich comes along and can afford to take hits financially.

That being said, I think Atlanta CAN work.

Based on?

Hawks and Braves both have attendance problems...the same things you alluded to with Florida.

Fuzzball Records

PostPosted: 10/14/07 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charlotte had 10 years to develope an attendance base with two different owners. The demand was not there so the product folded. That's the bottom line.

PostPosted: 10/15/07 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a product is not run well, people will quit coming, regardless of the talent on the team.

If an organization is not run well, the team could quit playing hard.

PostPosted: 10/15/07 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Hawks and Braves both have attendance problems...the same things you alluded to with Florida.

I agree with Cam.

As much as I would support a team in Atlanta, the team will struggle to gain a foothold in the city. If you have a marginal team, people can easily find other things to do, rather than sitting inside an arena.

I think that the best chance to get butts in the seats is to market the team to the folks in the burbs. I think it will be a mistake to have the team play at Phillips Arena. That will keep a lot families away from any of the midweek games. If the team were to have played at the Gwinnett Center, I think that the team's chance of survival would be better. Yes, Marta doesn't go to Gwinnett, but let's face it. Atlanta is not a mass transit loving city. I think the midtown/downtown people would be more apt to drive out to go to games and the surburbanites would be more likely to attend a weeknight game with the family.

All that being said, I think it is possible for the team to thrive, look at how well Georgia draws for gymnastics. The team will need to win and have a good PR machine that can build a fanbase and tap into the GOB network.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/15/07 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orlando's owners were no great prize either (remember the hubbub about one of them writing against gay rights legislation and sending it on Magic stationary?) and the Sol were folded *despite* average support. I *dare* any of you to tell bibb the Sol didn't have fans. I DARE YOU.

Anyone who talks shit about the first three years of Charlotte's existence probably came into the league in 2000 or later and wouldn't know Vicky Bullett from a bag of Miss Vickie's potato chips.

The point remains: good owners will find a way to succeed anywhere, bad owners will find a way to fail anywhere.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: