RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

European tour update - Opals lose by 3 to Russia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 09/10/07 10:00 pm    ::: European tour update - Opals lose by 3 to Russia Reply Reply with quote

Considering Russia was at full strength and the Opals have no likely Beijing starters on the team, I think that's a good effort

http://www.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=74455&orgID=1&Oname=BA&O1c=8&O10c=3

Opals are now 1-3 on their tour. Most of the European teams are well into their prep for Eurobasket 2007.
stormyweather

PostPosted: 09/10/07 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was pleasantly surprised by this result. things are looking better as far as depth for the roster goes and the more exposure to the international style of game these girls get has got to be a bonus going forward

how did randall play?, she had been playing well prior

*****bendigo spirit play a japanese touring team tonight and kristy harrower is going to play as it is there first appearance on there home court in any format

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 09/11/07 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackson to miss Opals friendlies in US

Stephen Howell
September 12, 2007

CAPTAIN Lauren Jackson has pulled out of the Australian team for two games against the US next week, meaning the Opals will play the "friendlies" without the starting five that led them to the gold medal in last year's world championships.

Jackson, named the Women's National Basketball Association's most valuable player for the second time last week for her season with Seattle Storm, said niggling injuries would prevent her from playing against the Americans.

[...]

With Jackson and Snell pulling out, Basketball Australia will send Dandenong Rangers duo Emily McInerny and Sam Richards and Abby Bishop (Canberra Capitals) to the US. Kathleen Macleod, Renae Camino and Deanna Smith will come home from Russia as planned.

In Moscow on Monday night, world championship silver medallist Russia beat the Opals 74-71 after the visitors, with only four of their golden team, were in front late late in the game.

[...]

gpark33

PostPosted: 09/11/07 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:

DAMN! I was looking forward to seeing her in Jersey.

bballfan

PostPosted: 09/11/07 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
CAPTAIN Lauren Jackson has pulled out of the Australian team for two games against the US next week, meaning the Opals will play the "friendlies" without the starting five that led them to the gold medal in last year's world championships.

Sad

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
Keegan

PostPosted: 09/11/07 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm no word about Batkovic? I suspect she's having a break as usual, but it would be nice to know.

No LJ and no Snell - well at least the second tier players will get some good experience, but it's going to be a snoozer of a game.
BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 09/11/07 7:40 pm    ::: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

The USA may have its issues trying to put together its team for this fall, but it has an abundance of riches compared to what is missing from the Opal line-up.

I found one of the articles (linked above) amusing, wondering where Australia's next LJ was. My guess is that the nation will be lucky to produce a player of her magnitude in the next 25 years, given the population of the country. With her second WNBA MVP in the bank, Jackson has secured a future trip to Springfield Massachusetts (home of the Basketball Hall of Fame). Regardless of future success, she is an all-time great of the sport.

P.S. Penny ain't bad either!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/07 7:45 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
My guess is that the nation will be lucky to produce a player of her magnitude in the next 25 years, given the population of the country.

(and given the country's total apathy towards basketball, especially the women's variety)

25 years sounds about right. Give her a few more years of playing, and then she needs to find a guy with the right athletic genes & get to work on populating the 2032 Opals team Wink

PostPosted: 09/11/07 8:06 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:
My guess is that the nation will be lucky to produce a player of her magnitude in the next 25 years, given the population of the country.

(and given the country's total apathy towards basketball, especially the women's variety)

25 years sounds about right. Give her a few more years of playing, and then she needs to find a guy with the right athletic genes & get to work on populating the 2032 Opals team Wink

Lie back and think of Australia? Wink

PostPosted: 09/11/07 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or just the genes.... Cool

Queenie wrote:

**snort**

#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/07 8:09 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Laughing Exactly.

"Take one for the team"

PostPosted: 09/11/07 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

DAMN! I was looking forward to seeing her in Jersey.

Good she won't hurt Fowles aging. Twisted Evil

PeachBasket

PostPosted: 09/12/07 12:59 am    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
With her second WNBA MVP in the bank, Jackson has secured a future trip to Springfield Massachusetts

Well, if she comes to town I'd be glad to show her around. Wink

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/12/07 5:01 am    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Australia should have first claim to Penny and Roderigo's children - the children of a basketballer and a volleyballer should definitely have the right athletic genes.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 09/12/07 10:15 am    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Laughing Exactly.

"Take one for the team"

Well, Dirk is *not* available, so no MVP-mating. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 09/13/07 1:28 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Russia too hot for Opals

13-9-2007

Russia 74 - O Rakhmatulina 18, S Abrosimova 17, I Ossipova 10

Australia 51 - R Cox 10, L Summerton 8, A Poto 8

at SK Vidnoje Hall in Vidnoje, Russia

Opals team for FIBA Oceania Championship announced

Reigning World Champions Australia have already qualified for Beijing, so the remaining teams in Dunedin are competing for the Oceania Zone berth with the third team filling a spot at a second-chance repechage tournament next July.

The Championship will be a three way contest between Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, who won the South Pacific Games in Apia, Samoa last week.

The tournament begins on September 26 and concludes on September 29 with all games played at the Edgar Centre in Dunedin.

bahanee

PostPosted: 09/13/07 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I switched on the TV today after class and got to watch the medal ceremony... which kind of bumbed me out.. coz I would have liked to have watched the game...but the Russians looked like they were having loads of fun.. Svet and Maria were all smiles...man I'd forgotten how tall Maria is..

It takes more than skill to play for the DETROIT SHOCK, it takes attitude and heart...
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/07 2:22 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
The Championship will be a three way contest between Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, who won the South Pacific Games in Apia, Samoa last week.

Ooh, well done Fiji. That's probably a bit of an upset, seeing as they weren't even ranked by FIBA the last I checked.

Despite the rivalry between the countries, there must've been some female New Zealand basketball players going crazy when Australia won the Worlds last year - it practically guaranteed them a place at the Olympics when otherwise they were a distinct long-shot.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/13/07 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How did New Zealand qualify for Athens?

PostPosted: 09/13/07 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

Australia's bronze-medal finish at the 2002 World Championships ensured two Olympic berths to the Oceania Zone...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/07 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Australia's bronze-medal finish at the 2002 World Championships ensured two Olympic berths to the Oceania Zone...

FIBA drives me nuts the way they change their systems every five minutes. I was just trying to find the EuroBasket 2009 men's qualifying system and couldn't find it anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if FIBA hadn't even decided how they're doing it yet.

Hopefully for the Olympics they'll stick with this 'qualify the regional winners, everyone else half-decent goes to the pre-Olympic qualifying tournament'-system for a while, but for no particular reason they've set up the men's and women's systems slightly differently. Probably just to try and confuse everybody. It should lead to a slightly higher general standard, seeing as the better teams should qualify, rather than the best however many teams from each region.

Apologies for going way off-topic from this thread's original subject.

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/13/07 6:48 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Opals team for FIBA Oceania Championship announced

Reigning World Champions Australia have already qualified for Beijing, so the remaining teams in Dunedin are competing for the Oceania Zone berth with the third team filling a spot at a second-chance repechage tournament next July.

The tournament begins on September 26 and concludes on September 29 with all games played at the Edgar Centre in Dunedin.

Fiji are quite useless, but it is nice to see more than Australia and New Zealand in an Oceania championship.

The team is naturally a B-grade side, but it is good to see Marianna Tolo make the team. She's a promising 6'4" post who has got actual inside moves! Most of our posts normally become soft outside shooters (I'm looking at you Hollie Grima).
Taoduck

PostPosted: 09/13/07 8:40 pm    ::: Re: USA vs Australia in September Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Australia should have first claim to Penny and Roderigo's children - the children of a basketballer and a volleyballer should definitely have the right athletic genes.

They'd definitely have some serious hops.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: