RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nicer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/06/04 1:23 pm    ::: Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nicer Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Agent makes inroads on WNBA

"There's not enough money to attract sleazy people," says Bruce Levy, whose New York City-based firm represents 53 female athletes.

"Being an agent is almost a dream," he says. "There's so much good you can do. As an agent I can touch people."

"If I am unhappy, he will do whatever he can to make me happy," says Jordan Adams

There's Adams; Rebekkah Brunson, 10th overall in the 2004 WNBA draft, the Sacramento Monarchs' first pick, and currently playing in Belgium. There's Pokey Chatman, Louisiana State University women's head coach.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/12/06/story7.html?page=1

Why does a head coach need an agent? Shocked

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/06/04 2:22 pm    ::: Re: Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nice Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Quote:

Agent makes inroads on WNBA

"There's not enough money to attract sleazy people," says Bruce Levy, whose New York City-based firm represents 53 female athletes.

"Being an agent is almost a dream," he says. "There's so much good you can do. As an agent I can touch people."

"If I am unhappy, he will do whatever he can to make me happy," says Jordan Adams

There's Adams; Rebekkah Brunson, 10th overall in the 2004 WNBA draft, the Sacramento Monarchs' first pick, and currently playing in Belgium. There's Pokey Chatman, Louisiana State University women's head coach.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/12/06/story7.html?page=1

Why does a head coach need an agent? Shocked

Well, she wasn't a head coach until this year, hmmmmmmm..

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/06/04 2:52 pm    ::: Re: Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nice Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Well, she took over mid-tournament last year for the original coach who retired for health reasons... Then won the following game. And the quote suggested that he still works as her agent. Idea

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/06/04 2:55 pm    ::: Re: Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nice Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Well, she took over mid-tournament last year for the original coach who retired for health reasons... Then won the following game. And the quote suggested that he still works as her agent. Idea

The coach retired during the off-season, and it was talked about, LSU better not let Pokey get away, so maybe the agent twisted a few arms, while leaving Pokey out of the negotiations, and not burning any bridges.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/06/04 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reb,

For a moment, reading the headline, I thought this was a pimp story.
We wouldn't know what's inside just by reading the headlines. That's what I meant the other day. It could be junk yard material, but it's not. Dicey...

PostPosted: 12/06/04 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Reb,

For a moment, reading the headline, I thought this was a pimp story.
We wouldn't know what's inside just by reading the headlines. That's what I meant the other day. It could be junk yard material, but it's not. Dicey...

I try and read all the posts on this board, but I don't doubt a lot of people will flip right on by the Admiral headlines, and they are justified in doing so, the deception and twisting of the headlines will burn people enough in time, that that they won't even bother to look inside, and they are justified in not looking, so he's basically shooting his own foot off, with his little twists, if he expects to be taken seriously, it's his own credibility he is destroying over time.

smenko

PostPosted: 12/06/04 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We all know that Admiral likes to turn a phrase when it comes to his headlines. He has always done this--and he always will. It does not matter whether we agree or not agree with his practice of doing it. The point is he will not change. I do believe he enjoys the rest of us going ballistic over these headlines of his. He craves the attention it gives him. Why else would he do it?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/06/04 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah but c'mon Admiral, you can do better than steal stories VeProf already posted on the ESPN board!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/06/04 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Two words: Not Again.

There's a good idea... Idea

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/06/04 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other posters on the ESPN board have a very good point. Why are agents supposed to protect players from being hit on by overseas coaches?
Is it ok to flirt with US coaches then? Or players have been reporting that kind of behavior from European coaches so much that an agent needs to check out the coach first (no pun intended) and sign the player later.

PostPosted: 12/06/04 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Other posters on the ESPN board have a very good point. Why are agents supposed to protect players from being hit on by overseas coaches?
Is it ok to flirt with US coaches then? Or players have been reporting that kind of behavior from European coaches so much that an agent needs to check out the coach first (no pun intended) and sign the player later.

Well, there is another option... that the guy is just pumping up his list of agent-type responsibilities to impress the female interviewer Embarassed Rolling Eyes

caune

PostPosted: 12/07/04 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Overseas coaches, especially those in Itay and Russia, have reputations for hitting on/having affairs with players, and it being more acceptable culturally overseas...it isn't viewed the same here in the WNBA....not that I'm sure it doesn't happen...although I cannot even picture Richie or Van hitting on a player wothout wanting to hurl, yeeecccck!

teleprompt

PostPosted: 12/07/04 10:30 am    ::: Why coaches need agents Reply Reply with quote

Coaches need agents for two reasons; to negotiate a better contract (and I am not talking just about money) and to find areas for exposure/$ like commercials, public speaking/appearances, etc.

Coaches with higher profiles and those seeking a higher profile have a great opportunity to increase their income and don't have the time to do the legwork. The coaching carousel now requires it.

A lot of these coaches (head and assistant) that move around or are involuntarily moved around make pretty good $, but there is a cost to each move that includes realtor fees, moving fees not covered by the university and a loss of pension plans, etc. They don't usually have the benefit of waiting until it is a good time in the market to move. Additionally, in the women's game, there is a bit of age-ism going on. How many women coaches do you see in their 50s/60s compared to the men's game? That would make a great study.

mb

PostPosted: 12/07/04 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VeProf's headline:

Quote:
Sport Agent make inroads on WNBA

Okay, maybe it should read: Sports Agent makes inroads via WNBA.

Admiral Needa's assinine headline:

Quote:
Man takes on low-paid women clients because they're nice

Admiral's desperate grasp for attention has made VeProf look good...that is how pathetic Admiral and his headlines have become.

VeProf may post some ludicrous predictions and inane ideas, yet he likely can't help it.

Admiral, certainly should be able to refrain from his pre-pubescent jollies.

VeProf's posts have garnered more laughs than any of Admiral's.

Since VeProf is not on this forum, Admiral has my vote for TDMFOTB here.

----------------------
Back to the topic, teleprompt has valid points...a coach may need an agent to negotiate contracts and help with getting outside moneys (appearances, endorsements, etc).

As far as coaches hitting on players, aren't most coaches overseas of the male gender? Please do not mistake the premace of this question or draw implications. Point is, it is the female coaches that pose the threat here, or so it seems.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/07/04 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb wrote:
Since VeProf is not on this forum, Admiral has my vote for TDMFOTB here.

Hmmm. So far I'd go with the poster who made the crack about McCarville rejecting shyguy in high school as TDMFOTB, although Mr. Look at Me Look at Me LOOK AT ME ALREADY! is right up there too.

Back on something vaguely related to the original topic. Interesting article, with an angle we don't hear about a lot because we don't think of our ladies in that context.

PostPosted: 12/07/04 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where you been, mb?

Are you going to see UConn @ ASU? (I'll miss LSU @ Santa Barbara, but I'll be there)

Coaches "hitting on" players?

NEVER date anyone you work with!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/07/04 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Coaches "hitting on" players?

NEVER date anyone you work with!

That's why they always hire the most Butt-ugly looking men to coach (they haven't figured out the women part yet).

Who's uglier? Van, Winters, Mike T, or Richie A?

Smoovie

PostPosted: 12/07/04 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van might not be the most handsome fella, but he cleans up well. Winter's is just goofy lookin'. The man you forgot is Agler. That man is a capitalized UGLY. He reminds me of a, Boris Karloff collection. When was a child, he would have been the boogieman, under my bed

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
mb

PostPosted: 12/07/04 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovy, I'm at all ASU home games. Look our group up...we have floor seats across from the home bench.

How they fare against Georgia tonight should be an indicator of future success.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/07/04 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ain't the same Huskies this year! It's just not as fun to watch without Dee. But guys, check out Charde when she comes in. The girl is the real deal.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/07/04 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb wrote:
Slovy, I'm at all ASU home games. Look our group up...we have floor seats across from the home bench.

How they fare against Georgia tonight should be an indicator of future success.

I'll be out there a couple times this season. See ya there!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/07/04 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How dare coaches hit on players! Hitting on players is MB's territory! Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/07/04 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who looks better, MB or the men coaches of the WNBA?

caune

PostPosted: 12/07/04 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Who looks better, MB or the men coaches of the WNBA?

MB looks like Michael Chiklis'es older brother;) He's better looking then the current crop of WNBA coaches

mb

PostPosted: 12/07/04 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anxious for another season of The Shield, as West Wing isn't what it used to be.

No WNBA ladies yet (or am I just discreet?), though I did date a gal that was seeing baseball player Roberto Alamar. Also was given a number by a gal that decided not to follow through on a date with David Dellucci. He seemed like a nice guy, yet his mysoginistic teammate wrecked his game.

Female athletes are some of the most attractive women IMHO, and not only for their physical attributes. Seems I am often attracted to ladies who are not on my team. Many have become great friends.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: