RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nelson Left Because He Couldn't Believe the team let Nash Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/23/05 3:06 pm    ::: Nelson Left Because He Couldn't Believe the team let Nash Go Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the reasons Nelson was so willing to leave (after he was assured he'd be paid) is Nelson couldn't believe the team let Nash go, something Nelson and Nowitzki bemoaned during the season.

According to an NBA coaching friend, "Nellie said, `Can you believe it? Shaq finally leaves and they don't keep Nash. If we had Nash and (Antawn) Jamison, we'd have been something.'"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0505230174may23,1,916417.column?coll=cs-sports-print

That's what I said... Who would have thought Cuban would try to save money? Shocked But Cuban gives his side of the story here... Arrow

Quote:
Our first move was to trade Antawn Jameson to get Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse. Antawn wanted to be a started on a team where he could have an impact. He is a first class guy and when Washington called with the offer of the #5 pick and Stack, it was a chance to keep our word to AJ, reduce our logjam at the Power Forward position and pick up a backup point guard in training for Steve.

Of course, pretty much the next day Nash decided to leave.

One of the reasons we traded our pick to get Pavel on Draft Day was that we knew we didn’t have a great team, and that a big part of this season was going to be developing young players. We could make the playoffs, maybe do some damage there, but our biggest upside from this season would be in developing our young guns around Dirk, Steve and Fin and seeing where they could take us in the future.

If we had questions about our team before he left, we had more after he left. We started to scramble. Our first order of business was to re-sign Marquis. Nellie liked to use him as a point guard, so it gave us some stability there.

After that, Donnie went to work. His first deal got us Jason Terry and Hendu from the Hawks for Tony Delk and Walk.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000923044184/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/23/05 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But did Cuban really try to save money? What is Dampier getting? And did Cuban really spell Antawn's name "Jameson?"

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/23/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But did Cuban really try to save money? What is Dampier getting? And did Cuban really spell Antawn's name "Jameson?"

and if Nellie was so disgusted why did it take him so long to figure it out!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/23/05 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nash gave Cuban the opportunity to match Phoenix' contract offer and Cuban declined because of the money and years... Idea

Jameson Shocked

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/23/05 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the time Nash was seeking Cuban to match, was Dampier signed?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/23/05 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the time, 'Jameson' had just been traded for equivalent salaries. After Cuban declined Nash, some of those salaries were traded to GSW for Dampier. Idea

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/23/05 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One has to wonder if Dallas would have been better off keeping (re-signing/matching) Nash and seeking to trade Finley...or if the team should have kept the nucleus (Finley, Nash, Diggler) in tact.

Still, Dallas had a very good season, even without Nash. And Phoenix was the turnaround story of the year. Win-win for all.

IIRC, Admiral was a big Dampier fan when he was with the GSW.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/23/05 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Nash would've been this good in Dallas. He was out to prove Cuban wrong, so he had that extra motivation. Plus, Stoudemire is a better pick and roll guy than Dirk, more aggressive, doesn't settle for jumpshots (because he can't shoot). It was good for Nash and Dirk, but trading Jamison was the biggest mistake, IMHO.
And the Lakers didn't want Dirk for Shaq when that was on the table, even tho I didn't hear that repeated enough times to believe it's true.

PostPosted: 05/23/05 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I don't think Nash would've been this good in Dallas. He was out to prove Cuban wrong, so he had that extra motivation. Plus, Stoudemire is a better pick and roll guy than Dirk, more aggressive, doesn't settle for jumpshots (because he can't shoot). It was good for Nash and Dirk, but trading Jamison was the biggest mistake, IMHO.
And the Lakers didn't want Dirk for Shaq when that was on the table, even tho I didn't hear that repeated enough times to believe it's true.

For me, I always thought Nash and Dirk were this good. But, since they played on such a loaded team, they didn't have to be. Either one could have off-nights and someone else would pick up the slack. Now, Dallas is in a position where Dirk basically has to impersonate Kevin Garnett of 2004 and play like a superstar in every playoff game to get a comfortable win. That or Josh Howard has to play like an All-Star every game. Of course, Josh is a very good player, but that's a bit too much to ask from him every night. It's a similar situation for Dampier too... Confused

I believe that if Cuban matched Nash's contract offer, and used Antoine Walker to trade for Dampier instead of Jamison that Dallas would have blown by Houston and given Phoenix a better fight. Idea

Of course, I think that it's great that Dirk and Nash have been able to add these highlights to their career and get all their deserved attention. But, from a GM point of view, I'd rather just focus on "getting those big balls", as Shaq said in his interview with John Thompson on TNT tonight Razz

As for the Dirk for Shaq rumors, I'm leaning towards believing that it's true. Shaq said earlier that he ~"knew Mitch Kupchak wasn't smart, but he would have to be an idiot to trade him to a Western Conference team..." Razz

Cuban also said in the beginning of the season that he asked LA what they wanted for Shaq, and that LA told him that they weren't interested in any of his players. So according to Cuban, he didn't explicitly offer up Dirk for Shaq, but he did basically offer up his whole roster and yet LA declined to make a deal. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: