RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix transactions - 5/19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 6:55 pm    ::: Phoenix transactions - 5/19 Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix is going to cut the following players:

- Jae Cross
- Tamara Moore
- Rita Williams
- Lindsay Taylor

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we have a hidden backup point guard that I don't know about?

No more Jae Crying or Very sad
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had Jae not been injured, Phoenix would have kept her. Tamara might have been better than Ashley Robinson, but A-Rob has shown promise...

DeForge and Taurasi were going to play 34 minutes per game anyway...now, Snell can rotate in for Taurasi and DeForge, moving the other to the point when Snell comes in.

caune

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Had Jae not been injured, Phoenix would have kept her. Tamara might have been better than Ashley Robinson, but A-Rob has shown promise...

DeForge and Taurasi were going to play 34 minutes per game anyway...now, Snell can rotate in for Taurasi and DeForge, moving the other to the point when Snell comes in.

NO JAE?????
and no Rita???
Oh lord, I hope we aren't playing with fire, one guard injury and we're sunk!

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How injured is she?

When she becomes fit again, is there a possibility she will be picked up again? I think we need a steady ballhandler off the bench.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

And we can sign one of the waived players if we need to, if they aren't picked up.

Again, DT and AD are going to be playing huge minutes anyway.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

And lets be frank...if we lose Taurasi, DeForge, or Penny, we were going to be sunk anyway! A marginal backup isn't going to help. If we need to, one will be available if someone goes down.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummer about Jae!

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my only concern would be those 2 or 3 odd games during the season where both DT and Anna might find themselves in some kind of 1st half foul trouble. Who handles the ball in that situation? Aside from that...what Cam said about the minute distribution is rock solid and makes perfect sense. Find a way to keep your best players on the floor art all times and use the extra roster spot for additional depth where you need it more.....the frontline.

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
my only concern would be those 2 or 3 odd games during the season where both DT and Anna might find themselves in some kind of 1st half foul trouble. Who handles the ball in that situation?

I'd also be tempted to press Phoenix in spurts. I'm sure Graffy will draw up a plan to counteract that though (quick passes, limited dribbles).

Snelly will not be handling the rock because a fair amount of her turnovers in the WNBL season was from handling too much.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
my only concern would be those 2 or 3 odd games during the season where both DT and Anna might find themselves in some kind of 1st half foul trouble.

In that situation, one would be kept in the game as the point guard and primary ballhandler, while Belinda Snell replaced the other at the two.

It is a risk, but offense still wins games. The remaining players on the Phoenix roster have more offensive firepower and are better basketball players. I would still like to have kept one of them on the injured list just in case, but if they aren't picked up and we are in a crunch, we can still do that.

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 05/19/05 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn. I'm bummed about Jae, Rita, and Tamara. I really like all three of them. I'm also sad to see Lindsay go, but it was expected. She's a really nice person, as they all are, and I wish them the best.

So, right now, the roster (I think) is:

Diana
Anna
Penny
Belinda
Shereka
Angelina
Kayte
Plenette
Kamila
Gwen
Ashley
Sandora

There isn't one true point guard on the team!! Woah. Then again, that is a team full of players who can play multiple positions, which can be good if there is foul trouble or if a change in the pace of the game is needed. Lots of different lineups can be used with this team.

In a way, the Mercury are shaping up to be a bit like the Suns.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
my only concern would be those 2 or 3 odd games during the season where both DT and Anna might find themselves in some kind of 1st half foul trouble. Who handles the ball in that situation?

I'd also be tempted to press Phoenix in spurts. I'm sure Graffy will draw up a plan to counteract that though (quick passes, limited dribbles).

Snelly will not be handling the rock because a fair amount of her turnovers in the WNBL season was from handling too much.

good point. Graffy is blessed with intelligent, coachable players who know a lot about going to spots on the floor to recieve a pass in beating a press rather than try to use the dribble. I can actually see Phoenix generating quite a few layups if teams press them TOO much.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agler is gone, yet our rotation is looking more Agler-like than ever!

I am seriously concerned about foul touble in the back court now.
No point guards + no speed + stricter hand-checking foul interpretation = potential trouble for this team.

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm most concerned about Diana and Penny, as they seem (though I'm sure I'm wrong) to get called for the most fouls, whether they be real or phantom.

Well, I hope Shot Hog #1, Shot Hog #2, and P-Money adjust to the hand-checking rule. If not...eek.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I am seriously concerned about foul touble in the back court now.
No point guards + no speed + stricter hand-checking foul interpretation = potential trouble for this team.

they'll probably need play a bit of zone.

I like a 1-2-2 with Penny on the top. I've seen her play that spot here in Cleveland and it was like throwing a blanket over the opposing team's PG. She was very effective in that spot.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

We have true post players, something Agler tried to avoid.

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Jae will hang around in Phoenix or join hubby in Houston.

If this doesn't work out, I'm sure the Merc could re-sign Tamara or Jae (if healthy) without much of a problem. I am intrigued by Toccara Williams though.
mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 05/19/05 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Penny play some back-up PG in Cleveland? Or am I remembering wrong? Maybe she could handle the point in limited minutes if she had to.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 05/19/05 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
Didn't Penny play some back-up PG in Cleveland? Or am I remembering wrong? Maybe she could handle the point in limited minutes if she had to.

Nice memory. There was a short stretch in the very forgetable 2002 season where all of Cleveland's PG's were out with injuries and Hughes was forced to use Lake as his starting point guard and used Penny at the position when Lake needed a breather. She did a really nice job bringing the ball up but I don't think she liked it a whole lot. That was her All-Star season when she had to do everything for that team and did so with a herniated disc in her back. Off topic question.....does playing at an All Star level in the WNBA with that kind of injury increase one's status as a "ledge"?

In 2003, Hughes used her defensively against the other team's point guard and she made him look like a genius. She also proved that there are a lot of things she can do defensively that should warrent removing the tag of "defensive liability" from her resume. (actually, I believe that tag no longer applies....but it used to.)

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
Off topic question.....does playing at an All Star level in the WNBA with that kind of injury increase one's status as a "ledge"?

Of course!

Penny used to bring up the ball and guard the opposing PG all the time when she was playing for Dandenong in the WNBL.

Another thought for guards in Phoenix - Dee Dee Wheeler just got waived.
caune

PostPosted: 05/19/05 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
Off topic question.....does playing at an All Star level in the WNBA with that kind of injury increase one's status as a "ledge"?

Of course!

Penny used to bring up the ball and guard the opposing PG all the time when she was playing for Dandenong in the WNBL.

Another thought for guards in Phoenix - Dee Dee Wheeler just got waived.

Dee Dee Wheeler, don't make me laugh Twisted Evil

I still think they should have kept one of those three guards. The foul trouble in the early part of the season could really bite us
Confused

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/19/05 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Dee Dee Wheeler, don't make me laugh Twisted Evil

Your favourite midget Wink

I think Dee Dee has pretty good skills. I just want *some* quickness in the backcourt!
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/19/05 9:53 pm    ::: Re: Phoenix transactions - 5/19 Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Phoenix is going to cut the following players:

- Jae Cross
- Tamara Moore
- Rita Williams
- Lindsay Taylor

T-Moore worked so hard in the offseason, I was looking forward to seeing her play this year. Sad

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/20/05 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Waiving all three guards kinda surprises me too. I hope it doesn't hurt us.

I do believe that the league rules state that the releasing team has to wait 30 days before they can re-sign a player they have waived. All the other teams can sign them immediately.

Cam, do you know if they are interested in looking at anyone who has recently been waived by another team?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: