RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Penn State: Jen chooses James Madison; Amber held hostage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/17/05 11:09 am    ::: Penn State: Jen chooses James Madison; Amber held hostage Reply Reply with quote

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1116321660102630.xml

Quote:
Jennifer Harris, banished by Penn State, has decided to take her high-powered basketball game to James Madison.

She chose the Dukes over Temple, Louisville and North Carolina A&T.

Jennifer Harris was banned from Penn State along with Amber Bland and Lisa Etienne just hours after an unexpected and devastating 1st rd NCAA Tournament loss to Liberty University. The lone voice in a silent locker room, Harris said of the graduating seniors, "And this will be the last memory of their Penn State careers. They deserve better than this."

"Where do we go from here?" coach Rene Portland asked minutes after the game. She sighed, then planned her answer. "We just reload."

Since Penn State will be returning shorthanded next season, maybe Portlland was misquoted and meant 'unload'. She began emptying the chamber in a team meeting following the loss, unloading the sophomore who would have been her leading returning scorer (Harris), one of her best defensive players (Bland) and a freshman point guard (Etienne). She announced in the meeting, 'Three of you will not be returning and you know who you are'. That was an hour or so after what for some was the most heartbreaking loss of their careers. She sent the team to their rooms and called Harris, Bland, and Etienne down to the lobby individually to the lobby between 1 and 2 AM .

Returning to campus, Harris and Etienne asked for permission to talk to other schools. Portland followed up saying their scholarships would not be renewed. Harris' mom went to the press. She said that Jen, a McDonalds All American and Deans List student majoring in psychology, did not want to leave PSU and was unaware of any problems with Portland.

Etienne transferred. Bland refused comment, and Portland clarified her 'in-limbo' status saying she was welcome back. Since the dismissals, Bland and Harris have been spotted playing pickup basketball at Intramural Hall with Kamela Gissendanner and graduating seniors Tanisha Wright and Jess Strom, or some players from the mens team.

Bland spoke publicly for the first time yesterday.

Quote:
Bland told The Patriot-News last night she is having difficulty getting her release from Penn State.

Bland needs to secure her release by tomorrow in order to meet the NCAA transfer deadline.

"I have requested my release and been told that, unless my father calls, my release will not be granted," said Bland, a 5-10 freshman guard. "Rene told me I really don't want you to go, but I just want to go [transfer]."

Internet rumor and campus talk has that two of the three players involved were seeing each other and had been spotted holding hands in a movie theater. Lady Lions players speaking off the record have said that Portland spies on her players. Portland recent recruiting classes have been decimated by transfers.

Bizarre: The recent dismissals came after an unexpected loss to evangelical Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. Penn State's gay pride festivities kicked off at Old Main one week later.

CRASH

PostPosted: 05/26/05 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we should pool our $ in get poor Amber out of there!!!!

My question; Why does an 18yr old need a phone call from her Daddy in order for her to leave campus? Rene needs to make up her mind.... either she doesn't want Lesbians or she does, but DON"T hold them hostage!!!!!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/26/05 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Penn Live forum, posted today 20:00 ET, LeiLut

Quote:
"Amber, truly want's her release. The coach knows this & will not oblidge the request. Coach is waiting on father's contact. She knows dang well there are legal issues relating to the father & he will never be calling. She is holding this young lady hostage. When the coach did her war dance in that Bethesda Hotel, following the Liberty loss, She told Amber her scholorship would not be issued for next year. Amber, pleaded with coach & told her she had no place to go. Coach's reply "That's your problem, not mine". There, you have but one more fact that caused concern from this fan. The beginning of the end, actually started way back in late January, following a team meeting, where the team, player for player stood shoulder to shoulder with the accused relating to false statements made by the coach toward the accused. Furthermore, the coach wanted this player to request a medical leave, when she was perfectly healthy. Now how proud of your coach are you, when she asks a player to Lie & if you don;t do it that way, your scholorship will be revoked. It is difficult repeating these facts, but, until the powers that be address these issues. Other mis conduct issues will be released. I have talked with many of the regulars who attend lady lions games & many are looking for some accountability. There still Blue/White, but concerned. "

CRASH

PostPosted: 05/26/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of Renes, but the more that comes out about this the more disgusted I am. I try to find humor in all things, but there is nothing to laugh at here. Unfortunatly nothing will be done about her again.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/26/05 10:11 pm    ::: wait a year Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
I've never been a fan of Renes, but the more that comes out about this the more disgusted I am. I try to find humor in all things, but there is nothing to laugh at here. Unfortunatly nothing will be done about her again.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

If the rumors are true-- and the more of them there are, the more plausible they become-- then Portland will get what she deserves in about two years: her teams will lose to Northwestern and to Michigan, repeatedly, and she'll be fired, not for being a bad person, but for losing. (I'm actually afraid that Suzie McConnell Serio will leave the Lynx to coach Penn State, though by that point Teresa Edward will be ready to coach-- and she's said she only wants to coach pro, not college.)

On a less moralistic note, these stories help explain the difference, in '04-05 and even in '03-04, between PSU at home (nearly unbeatable) and PSU on the road (not very good): in Bryce Jordan, Strom, Wright & co. had their friends and family watching. In Chicago, at Marquette, etc., they had... their coach.

Am I the only one connecting the dots between this story and Jess Strom's decision to stop playing basketball?

CRASH

PostPosted: 05/27/05 2:44 am    ::: Re: wait a year Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
CRASH wrote:

Am I the only one connecting the dots between this story and Jess Strom's decision to stop playing basketball?

Damn accommodatingly; I missed that!!!

I just figured the PR staff @ Con was giving her such a hard time over the uni-brow that she got her fellings hurt and left. Shocked

Besides; I'de rather have Carey over Strom anyway. Strom may be the beter shooter - Jamie is streaky - But Jamie is just better!!! Wink

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/07/05 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm astonished that Rene Portland's blatant homophobia is still tolerated at Penn State. This has been going on for a long, long time (see WaPo article).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A35013-2003Jan23?language=printer

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/09/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just checked in on the PennLive board.
http://www.pennlive.com/forums/psuhoopswomen/

Update on Amber Bland is that some posters are saying she is staying on to play for the 2005-06 Lady Lions; someone is saying she is home in Texas and has no intent of coming back, except that Rene is refusing to release her. At issue is whether Bland's father signed off on a release that Rene appears to be insisting on. Bland has stated for the press that she wants to leave.

Of note, a poster signing off as Maren Walseth (in the post Once a Lion..dated 0605, by philly2000) said this after Walseth's (and other ex-LL) loyalty to the program was questioned.

Quote:
I found it necessary to respond since my name and support were recently questioned. We make it to games when we can, but it's not like State College is exactly on the way to much. We are all busy, have jobs, and families. Partially due to our success on the court, and partially due to the experiences we had, many of us are still involved in basketball. That makes jaunts up to the BJC during the season more than a little challenging. That does not mean we do not call up there, drop emails, and stay connected as much as possible.Most of us do not have the luxury that Cash, Taurasi, Bird and the like have to fly from wherever they are working out to make multiple appearances at games. And just to set the record straight psuneedshelp, I was there this year, I'm sorry I missed you. I was there to see some of the other people you mentioned, as well the current players, the staff and other people behind the scenes.

Just because we are not as visible as some of you want us to be, doesn't mean we don't follow the team and show support. Do I agree with everything that has happend up there, of course not, nor will I defend it. But I can speak for a number of my teammates and say, we are far better basketball players, leaders, teachers, coaches, and people for having spent 4 or 5 years in State College.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/14/05 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edit: Confirmed
http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=425219

Just posted to Penn State board.
2720. BLAND GIVEN RELEASE. 6/14/05 16:01 ET
Quote:
Amber Bland was granted her release from Penn State today. This saga will not die.

Rene Portland now has under scholarship 5 incoming freshman; one returning starter ( Amanda Brown); one redshirt sophomore transfer ( Kamila Gissendanner, 1.8 points and 1.4 rebounds as a freshman at NC State); and Amanda Squire, 133 minutes of game experience.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/14/05 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

Quote:
Amber Bland was granted her release from Penn State today. This saga will not die.

Rene Portland now has under scholarship 5 incoming freshman; one returning starter ( Amanda Brown); one redshirt sophomore transfer ( Kamila Gissendanner, 1.8 points and 1.4 rebounds as a freshman at NC State); and Amanda Squire, 133 minutes of game experience.

Penn State is going to be in big trouble this season.

gopher5

PostPosted: 06/14/05 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:

Quote:

Penn State is going to be in big trouble this season.

This is terrible for Penn State players, fans and supporters, but selfishly, I hope this will help the Gophers win at Happy Valley finally.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/15/05 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bland latest to depart Lady Lions
By Walt Moody
wmoody@centredaily.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Penn State women's basketball player Amber Bland, who showed promise in her freshman season, has been granted her release from the program by Lady Lion coach Rene Portland the school announced Tuesday.

Bland, a 5-foot-10 guard from Boardman, Ohio, becomes the third player with eligibility remaining to leave the team since Penn State's season ended with a 78-70 loss against Liberty in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on March 21.

With the departure of Bland, five players have left the program following the past two seasons. A total of 10 players with eligibility remaining have left the program since the conclusion of the 2001 season.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/11896107.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: