RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pick One Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Fantasy Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy. Face it. You're just mad because you owned all of us last year in Reb's fantasy game, and now that it's donzo, you won't win it. Get over it! Laughing Just kiddin' Richyyy! Wink

PostPosted: 05/13/07 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hehe. Well, yeah, there is that Wink. Now I get to retire undefeated though Smile.

Seriously, I'd love to play Reb's game again this season if he can get it going, but this .com one just fills me with complete apathy. Not counting my annoyance that all their competitions are still restricted to residents of the US, that is.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/07 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
Last year it was a guessing game, but you could still make up ground, however slowly. This year, being able to only use a player once for the season, makes a mockery out of any kind of strategy, other than making sure you don't paint yourself into a corner and leave yourself without any good choices down towards the end. Strategy? HA!, I say.

I would say there's much more strategy to this than there was to last year's game. Rather than using the same stars over and over while ignoring everyone else in the league, with this game you'll actually have to pick spots to use bench players. 71 days and 13 teams means picking an average of 5.46 players per team over the course of the season. It's also going to reward long term planning, the essence of strategy, over spur of the moment tactical decisions.

I planned out my whole season of picks and almost outsmarted myself. I got to the end of the year and hadn't used Sheryl Swoopes!

PostPosted: 05/14/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to agree with pilight; there is definitely more strategy. I got bored last year and just stopped. It was tiresome with the same 5-10 each week.

This is going to take some planning...and then contingencies for injuries.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/07 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's like the difference between Princes of Florence and Louis XIV. In Princes you have to think right away what you'll be doing 5-6 turns later and plan accordingly. In Louis there's very little you do in one turn that affects what you'll be doing in the next one. Both are fine games, but there's a good reason that Princes is a perennial top 10 at boardgamegeek.com while Louis is ranked down around #70.

PostPosted: 05/14/07 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's like the difference between Princes of Florence and Louis XIV. In Princes you have to think right away what you'll be doing 5-6 turns later and plan accordingly. In Louis there's very little you do in one turn that affects what you'll be doing in the next one. Both are fine games, but there's a good reason that Princes is a perennial top 10 at boardgamegeek.com while Louis is ranked down around #70.

Ya know, I was just going to say that. Wink

RM619

PostPosted: 05/14/07 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally agree with what was said. I still have a copy of last seasons leaderboard. There was less than 100 pts separating the top 25 entries. That tells me the more popular players were getting used most often. This year definitely offers quite a challenge as stated.

How could you forget Swoopes? LOL

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/14/07 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:
Totally agree with what was said. I still have a copy of last seasons leaderboard. There was less than 100 pts separating the top 25 entries. That tells me the more popular players were getting used most often. This year definitely offers quite a challenge as stated.

How could you forget Swoopes? LOL

Everyone knows pilight is a biased, gay bashing, Swoopes hater. He left her off on purpose! Wink

mabell3368

PostPosted: 05/15/07 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I still don't like it. Last year I could pick Michelle Snow and then after the game, find out she wasn't playing and I could still use her again. This year, if someone is a late scratch, and she's the one I picked. I'm toast. I guess that the only plus here is that the odds of that happening a fairly low. I'm only picking one out of at least 22.

I've made my picks for the year, but it's going to be interesting how to correct for midseason injuries.

One tip that would prevent missing out on using Swoopes: I discovered the "Top 25 playing" link that shows just that. The top 25 people playing on that day and then you know if any of the top players are still available. Of course, LL and Margo show up fairly regularly, and we know LL won't be playing at all, and Margo is having back problems, so even if she does play, it's unlikely she will play to form. Of course I didn't see that until I was almost finished.

PostPosted: 05/18/07 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My cunning plan to use one of my IDs to make ridiculous picks has been foiled. Clearly one part of the system is smarter than the others and recognizes that I cannot be serious in picking Miao Lijie and Hajdana Radunovic for opening weekend.

(now with spelling variations)
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/19/07 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um, am I reading this correctly? You're telling me I can try to pick Zane Teilane, but I can't pick Alana Beard?! I realize that would be pointless today, but what about in August?

RM619

PostPosted: 05/21/07 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Um, am I reading this correctly? You're telling me I can try to pick Zane Teilane, but I can't pick Alana Beard?! I realize that would be pointless today, but what about in August?

Also note: after two days they've managed to screw up the stats. The players from the NY/Chi game are way off. Looks like the 2nd half points are missing.

Grumps

PostPosted: 05/21/07 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Also note: after two days they've managed to screw up the stats. The players from the NY/Chi game are way off. Looks like the 2nd half points are missing.

If you look at the box on dot.com the play by play stops at 4:19 with the score 35-29...Even though the boxscore total says the final, the individual stats only add up to 35-29...That is why Reb is having trouble getting his game going...First he was having trouble reading the new boxscores and then now they are incomplete...Looks like they have a lot of technical incompetence at dot.com...

Grumps

RM619

PostPosted: 05/21/07 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
RM619 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If you look at the box on dot.com the play by play stops at 4:19 with the score 35-29...Even though the boxscore total says the final, the individual stats only add up to 35-29...That is why Reb is having trouble getting his game going...First he was having trouble reading the new boxscores and then now they are incomplete...Looks like they have a lot of technical incompetence at dot.com...

Grumps

Stats now up to date.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 05/21/07 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:
Grumps wrote:
RM619 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Grumps

Stats now up to date.

You got a link to those up to date stats,(boxscore)? I'm still showing the boxscore that has Thorn with 6 points. Oh wait, I forgot they will post it on their message board first.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/21/07 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...okay, I'm surprised the Silver Stars haven't dropped the game master a note saying, 'hi, Sandy Brondello's been on our staff for the last couple of seasons, which means she's not playing for the Storm!'

I almost went with Natalia Zassulskaya for a Comet game, if only because, damn, there's a flashback.

dabirdyballa10

PostPosted: 05/25/07 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have a question: how do i view the league im in? i havent found a button to click or a link or anything. i dont know if im missing something right in front of me or what. if someone could help id appreciate it.

"Basketball is life."
quester

PostPosted: 05/25/07 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dabirdyballa10 wrote:
i have a question: how do i view the league im in? i havent found a button to click or a link or anything. i dont know if im missing something right in front of me or what. if someone could help id appreciate it.

click "standings" on upper right of your team page.

iverson3ai1

PostPosted: 05/29/07 2:20 pm    ::: New Yahoo Sports Group For The WNBA Pick One Challenge Reply Reply with quote

Are you playing the WNBA Pick One Challenge? If so, there is a Yahoo Sports Group created for the members of the Rebkell's Junkies Group where we talk about just about everything related to the Fantasy Game.

Every day I post an updated Injury Report to try to keep our members from selecting a Player who does not play. At the start of each week, I also post some suggested Picks for each day in the upcoming week. I have just added the wnba.com Team Power Rankings today.

Phil does a lot of Statistical Features including the Most Popular Picks for each Day and the Top Statistical Picks of the Day based on a formula. He also has a lot of files that show the Top Players According to PAR for last season Overall, by Location, by Days of Rest, and by the Day of the Week.

Phil even has a file for the Top Rookies from this year's Pre-Season. Cheryl has the WNBA Schedule posted so that you can check to see which Teams are playing each day. And Cheryl and I are trying to make sure our Group members know whenever there is a Weekday Daytime Game.

Cheryl, par_out, and Erika have all been posting their ideas about Daily Picks as well. In addition I have posted links to Newspapers, Team websites, helpful Sports Links, Player Fan sites and the Players' Personal Sites along with a lot more interesting information.

I really believe that everyone who has checked out our Yahoo Group has been surprised that we have got so much helpful information posted already. So if you are interested in joining us, here is the link to our Group. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rebkell_Junkies/

One of our current members will need to approve you before you can join so please send me your Pick One Challenge ID or Team Name along with whatever Name you would like our Group members to call you and I will approve you for membership. We all hope that you will check out our Group and like what we are doing.

Iverson3ai1

pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/07 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, how many of you missed the chance to pick Chamique Holdsclaw? I used her in both entries already!

PostPosted: 06/12/07 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I missed her. Crying or Very sad

pilight

PostPosted: 06/13/07 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! I'm in the top 10 of the Rebkell group!

PostPosted: 06/13/07 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Some of us have been in the Top 10 all season Wink

It actually worries me to be doing well now. Does that mean I have used too many good players? Am I going to sink as things go on?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/13/07 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

It actually worries me to be doing well now. Does that mean I have used too many good players? Am I going to sink as things go on?

it'll be interesting to see what strategy works...I haven't uses a lot of the big timers yet. I've figured if I can hover arounn 20 or higher without using LJ, Thompson, Catchings and Holdsclaw...oops, scratch the last one...I figure I'm okay.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/13/07 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Of the top 20 in efficiency, as wnba.com figures it, I've used...

Tamika Catchings
Cheryl Ford
Katie Douglas
Tina Thompson
Sophia Young
Cappie Pondexter
Nicole Powell
Chasity Melvin (today)

I have not used...

Lauren Jackson
Michelle Snow
Diana Taurasi
Candice Dupree
Taj McWilliams-Franklin
Seimone Augustus
Asjha Jones
Rebekkah Brunson
Cathrine Kraayveld
Becky Hammon
Plenette Pierson
Erin Thorn
Loree Moore

I know, that's 21. Powell and Melvin are tied for 20th. FWIW, I did get Chamique Holdsclaw before she retired and I didn't use Sheryl Swoopes before her injury.

I feel pretty good about the players I have left.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: