RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

writer says "American culture in sexual chaos"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sass

PostPosted: 05/13/05 1:06 am    ::: writer says "American culture in sexual chaos" Reply Reply with quote

Interesting piece:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/224047_tony13.html

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
herrade

PostPosted: 05/13/05 6:04 am    ::: Re: writer says "American culture in sexual chaos" Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Interesting piece:

absolutely the most ridiculous piece of pabulum i have read in months.

birdys#1seatownfan

PostPosted: 05/13/05 8:46 pm    ::: Re: writer says "American culture in sexual chaos" Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
Sass wrote:
Interesting piece:

absolutely the most ridiculous piece of pabulum i have read in months.

Not only ridiculous, but idiotic!

A good piece? Maybe for hicks and child molestors! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"I have the ability to shoot the ball. I can go by you. I can pull up. I don't have one superior strength in my game. I just do a lot of things pretty good, and it makes me a pretty good player." - Sue Bird
quester

PostPosted: 05/13/05 9:28 pm    ::: Re: writer says "American culture in sexual chaos" Reply Reply with quote

birdys#1seatownfan wrote:

Maybe for hicks and child molestors! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

....And your definition of a hick??.....

I'd never considered the term synonymous with "child molester".......

(or do I need to keep a closer eye on EVERYONE who lives in the country?...) Shocked

inky

PostPosted: 05/13/05 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be much more interested in seattlelovesbirdybutnotasmuchasido#1's definition of "pabulum."

birdys#1seatownfan

PostPosted: 05/13/05 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
I'd be much more interested in seattlelovesbirdybutnotasmuchasido#1's definition of "pabulum."

What is...."something that gives nourishment, food.

And if you think you love Sue more than I do, dream on!

She has told me 3 straight years in a row "you're my #1 fan in Seattle" and she even gave me a pair of her game worn shoes from the playoffs against Sacramento last season-SO THERE!

"I have the ability to shoot the ball. I can go by you. I can pull up. I don't have one superior strength in my game. I just do a lot of things pretty good, and it makes me a pretty good player." - Sue Bird
Sass

PostPosted: 05/14/05 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

She has told me 3 straight years in a row "you're my #1 fan in Seattle" and she even gave me a pair of her game worn shoes from the playoffs against Sacramento last season-SO THERE!

Ah, that explains so very very much.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/14/05 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it certainly does. Poor Sue Sad

PostPosted: 05/14/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon folks.
Now that we've established Birdy's age we should go easy on the kid.

: )

peaceplease

PostPosted: 05/14/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
C'mon folks.
Now that we've established Birdy's age we should go easy on the kid.

: )

Age is established? I guess I missed that. So what is it? Confused

PEACE
pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/05 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

That is the correct definition of pabulum. Herrade probably meant "pablum", which is trite, insipid, or simplistic writing, speech, or conceptualization. I noticed the error right away but didn't say anything, because I figured the likelihood of confusion was pretty small and I hate being the grammar cop. How many people know and/or use the word "pabulum" anyway?

Now, if we're all finished abusing poor Birdy for believing the actual word on the screen was the same as what the post meant, let's move on.

PostPosted: 05/14/05 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That is the correct definition of pabulum. Herrade probably meant "pablum", which is trite, insipid, or simplistic writing, speech, or conceptualization. I noticed the error right away but didn't say anything, because I figured the likelihood of confusion was pretty small and I hate being the grammar cop. How many people know and/or use the word "pabulum" anyway?

Herrade probably meant "pabulum." "Pablum" is a brand name for a baby food, and didn't enter the lexicon until 1948. Writers often shorten "pabulum" to "pablum," and while originally incorrect, the usage has become so common that it's now an accepted use.

"Pabulum" is mushy, easily digested food. But it's also a term for bland and insipid writing, and has been for several hundred years.

inky

PostPosted: 05/14/05 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to worry. Your title is safe. I would never, ever attempt to lay claim to being Sue Bird's #1 fan in Seattle. It's all yours.

A question to Seattle fans - anybody else notice a commonality amongst many of Sue Bird's fans? Peculiar, isn't it?

herrade

PostPosted: 05/14/05 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
Herrade probably meant "pabulum."

thanks, inky. i'll have to start counting the times pilight has tried to correct me when i haven't been wrong. i think this is at least 3 or 4.

PostPosted: 05/14/05 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight is most correct. Pablum, with a capital P, is the original trademark name for what came to be known in generic terms as "a soft, bland cereal food for infants," according to the new world dictionary. pablum, with a lowercase p, is defined as simplified or tasteless writing, ideas, etc. however, the new world dictionary further muddies the debate by describing pabulum (pronounced pab-YOO-lum), as "food or sustenance" and "nourishment for the mind," but also "same as pablum." (huh? how can it be both?) this is my pet peeve, when even the so-called authoritative references can't uphold the precision of language. a dictionary will now tell you that "eager" and "anxious" are one and the same. chomping at the bit, instead of champing at the bit, which is the originally correct term, is perpetuated because the original, correct term would look or sound like a mistake. that's why pilight's most correct. because, bottom line, the definitions have blurred over time and, ultimately, we pretty much understood what was being said.

PostPosted: 05/14/05 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

Herrade probably meant "pabulum." "Pablum" is a brand name for a baby food, and didn't enter the lexicon until 1948. Writers often shorten "pabulum" to "pablum," and while originally incorrect, the usage has become so common that it's now an accepted use.

"Pabulum" is mushy, easily digested food. But it's also a term for bland and insipid writing, and has been for several hundred years.

Pabulum didn't enter English usage until the 18th century and meant good, nourishing food. By the end of the 1700s the sense of stimulating intellectual nourishment was common. That's presumably from Cicero's Doctrina est ingenii naturale quoddam pabulum, which translates to "Learning is a kind of natural food for the mind"

"Speaking of boredom -- why don't you try to accumulate a library which will furnish you with a solid reserve of intellectual and aesthetic pabulum?" -- H P Lovecraft, 1929

Pablum, the cereal was introduced in the early 1930s. It was invented in Canada at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.

In any event, it is not at all out of the realm of possibility that Birdy might have thought Herrade meant something other than what she actually did mean.

PostPosted: 05/14/05 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
A question to Seattle fans - anybody else notice a commonality amongst many of Sue Bird's fans? Peculiar, isn't it?

They should call the Sue Bird fan club "the Asylum".
birdys#1seatownfan

PostPosted: 05/15/05 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
inky wrote:

whatever, keegan-at least Sue and us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal.

Aussies are "too soft"-thats why they always get cut and can't make a team-the only thing they can do is get a job for showing how much dentistry is needed to protect those buck toothed girls on the olympic squad.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/15/05 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whatever, keegan-at least Sue and us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal.
Aussies are "too soft"-thats why they always get cut and can't make a team-the only thing they can do is get a job for showing how much dentistry is needed to protect those buck toothed girls on the olympic squad.

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Age is established? I guess I missed that. So what is it?

I too thought it was established, but estimates are now decreasing daily

PostPosted: 05/15/05 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some puerile attempt at insulting Australians.

Laughing

Your opinion of Aussies is totally irrelevant to the subject matter at hand.

Maybe they should rename the Sue Bird fanclub "the Kindergarten".
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/15/05 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of the matter at hand, I just checked out that article.
Seems to me it was largely meandering waffle.
Not that I disagree with it - I just thought it could have been covered a lot more concisely.

Here's my summary of 'sexual chaos':
1. It's not just about straight and gay. No need to complicate things with these labels.
2. Think of the children!

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It's not just about straight and gay. No need to complicate things with these labels.

Plant, animal or mineral?

Yes, the article was pretty waffly and pointless. He should be writing for WNBA.com!
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Pabulum, pablum, pedantic, what's the difference? Confused

1carol

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
inky wrote:

Quote:
Keegan wrote:

Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad Sad
Aussies too soft? Can't make a team? You are forgetting Lauren Jackson & Penny Taylor just to mention the 2 most obvious.
You say *"us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal"* How dare you have the nerve to place yourself with great basketball players. What's your nationality? Where the hell do you think *us Americans* all came from anyway? We represent the entire world. Denistry or lack of it touches everyone's nationality. It has nothing to do with the ability to play basketball.
You should know better than to mess with Aussies on this board Evil or Very Mad
Or any other nationality for that matter Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

birdys#1seatownfan

PostPosted: 05/15/05 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1carol wrote:
Quote:
inky wrote:

Quote:
Keegan wrote:

Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad Sad
Aussies too soft? Can't make a team? You are forgetting Lauren Jackson & Penny Taylor just to mention the 2 most obvious.
You say *"us other americans know how to truly compete in basketball and win a gold medal"* How dare you have the nerve to place yourself with great basketball players. What's your nationality? Where the hell do you think *us Americans* all came from anyway? We represent the entire world. Denistry or lack of it touches everyone's nationality. It has nothing to do with the ability to play basketball.
You should know better than to mess with Aussies on this board Evil or Very Mad
Or any other nationality for that matter Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

Get a life and tell me something I don't already know piss ant!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: