RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Speaking of cover songs, which ones do you hate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
24duzitall



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 1293
Location: Kentucky


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 7:11 am    ::: Speaking of cover songs, which ones do you hate? Reply Reply with quote

i cringe and turn the station whenever the counting crows do joni mitchell's "big yellow taxi"
stevie wonder butchered bob marley's "redemption song"
whoever the hell it was who thought they could take on labelle and do "lady marmalade" there is no comparison.

i am sure there will be more, i am only on my first cup o coffee...



_________________
RIP my sweet boy Indi...my grumpy old man Charlie...precious Oliver and my sweet girl Faith
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61978
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pseudo Echo's "Funkytown" is the first thing that comes to mind. Cheap Trick's "Don't Be Cruel" is horrifyingly bad. Bananarama's "Venus", of course.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
boldenfan



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 225



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I need to add one more cover..

Fishin in the Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, covered by Emerson Drive



_________________
Yeah my nerves are raw and your wearin' thin. You won't play me again. I'm not a freak show, eat crow kinda thing. I can suck you up, or spit you out, so take your best swing. I'm gonna jump right off of this sinking ship, are you feeling me yet?
Eireann



Joined: 20 Aug 2006
Posts: 447



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Britney attempting to do I Can't Get No Satisfaction. Rolling Eyes


jimmyk



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 4025
Location: Bristol. TN


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eireann wrote:
Britney attempting to do I Can't Get No Satisfaction. Rolling Eyes


Beat me on that one. I detest that version of that song.

The worst thing I've ever heard is the version of I Walk the Line on those Levi's commercials. Ugh.


Fuzzball Records



Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 2227
Location: Courtside at Staples Center with Stephanie Miller


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Justine Bateman's abortion of Satisfaction



_________________
"A conservative is a man who is too cowardly to fight and too fat to run."--Elbert Hubbard
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15934
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cheap-ass shitty covers they use on Dancing with the Stars. I can't even watch that show for the awful cut-rate covers.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
Soonerville



Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 397
Location: Norman/NW OKC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/28/07 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child 'O Mine (Guns N Roses)

Sittin' on the Dock - Michael Bolton covering Otis Redding?

All Along The Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band covering Bob Dylan- GAK!



_________________
"You can be sure that you've created God in your own image, when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." (Anne Lamott)
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10695
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soonerville wrote:
..."Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" - Michael Bolton covering Otis Redding?...


How about Michael Bolton covering...ANYTHING??? Shocked

Otis must be turning in his watery grave... Mad



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15934
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since this has been resurrected, I'd like to add possibly the worst torture of a song I've ever heard: Vanessa Carlton's butchery of "Paint It, Black".



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17919
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Holiday spirit...
Any and every version of "Santa Baby" after Eartha Kitt did it perfectly



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
HistoryWomensBasketball



Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1435
Location: CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madonna doing American Pie.

Buddy, Big Bopper and Ritchie would have struck her with lightning bolts if they could have.



_________________
Author of: "Barnstorming America, Stories from the Pioneers of Women's Basketball"

www.barnstormingamerica.net
24duzitall



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 1293
Location: Kentucky


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is an old thread!
i'll add some as well.
some country group did "walking in memphis" by marc cohn. pales in comparison to put it mildly.
my generation by hillary duff
stairway to heaven by dolly parton-yes dolly parton!



_________________
RIP my sweet boy Indi...my grumpy old man Charlie...precious Oliver and my sweet girl Faith
24duzitall



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 1293
Location: Kentucky


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh yeah, forgot to add these
downtown train covered by rod stewart. original tom waits
because the night coverd by 10,000 maniacs. original patti smith



_________________
RIP my sweet boy Indi...my grumpy old man Charlie...precious Oliver and my sweet girl Faith
bballequalslife



Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 3861
Location: Near Knoxvegas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Vanessa Carlton's butchery of "Paint It, Black".


Vanessa Carlton butchers every fakking song she does.

24duzitall wrote:

some country group did "walking in memphis" by marc cohn.


That's Lonestar. And yes, their version does suck.

Any non-country song that tries to be re-done in a country version (and vice versa) typically sucks the second time around.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15934
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually like Lonestar's version of "Walking in Memphis", but I'm a sucker for that song, period, full stop. I do, however, object to the dance mix of the Cher version. Not the Cher version itself, just the dance mix.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
24duzitall



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 1293
Location: Kentucky


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I actually like Lonestar's version of "Walking in Memphis", but I'm a sucker for that song, period, full stop. I do, however, object to the dance mix of the Cher version. Not the Cher version itself, just the dance mix.


there is a dance mix to walking in memphis? Shocked



_________________
RIP my sweet boy Indi...my grumpy old man Charlie...precious Oliver and my sweet girl Faith
bballequalslife



Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 3861
Location: Near Knoxvegas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I actually like Lonestar's version of "Walking in Memphis", but I'm a sucker for that song, period, full stop.


Ugh. Not me.

(And Lonestar is one of the few country groups/artists I actually like. Shocked )


played3on3



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 1030
Location: From the Garden State to the Cheesehead State


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few years ago Time Warner used Vanessa Carlton doing Time Is On My Side in their commercials. Everytime it came on I wanted to throw something through my tv. I detest the Madonna version of American Pie. And I can't say I like Jonatha Brookes' cover of Fire and Rain.


mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18863



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually really like Britney's cover.

But the Hawaiian version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" ....just stop...really just stop..



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
bballequalslife



Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 3861
Location: Near Knoxvegas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
But the Hawaiian version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" ....just stop...really just stop..


Shocked I love that version! I think it's great!

Every year towards the end of the year (I expect them to start any day), a local news station does like two-minute commericals of the big stories of the year. They do one for the sports stories, the overall big stories, and the inspirational stories. A few years ago they put that version on their inspirational stories commerical and I thought it was great.


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8551
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

natalie merchant's cover of 'because the night' sends me screaming from the room every time. best version: patti smith, of course. Wink

patti smith's cover of nirvana's 'smells like teen spirit'. i love you patti, but your version totally misses the mark. Sad

and finally, eddie vedder's cover of 'last kiss'. ack and gak.



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.


Last edited by scullyfu on 12/18/08 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballequalslife



Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 3861
Location: Near Knoxvegas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually think Britney's remake of Satisfaction is okay. However, I Love Rock N' Roll is another story. Her remake of that absolutely sucks.

I will also include Kid Rock's version of Feel Like Making Love.

Any other version of When You Say Nothing at All other than the original by Allison Krauss. People need to realize that is a song that should never be redone because it'll never come close to the original because Allison has the perfect voice and skill for it.


24duzitall



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 1293
Location: Kentucky


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
I actually think Britney's remake of Satisfaction is okay. However, I Love Rock N' Roll is another story. Her remake of that absolutely sucks.

I will also include Kid Rock's version of Feel Like Making Love.

Any other version of When You Say Nothing at All other than the original by Allison Krauss. People need to realize that is a song that should never be redone because it'll never come close to the original because Allison has the perfect voice and skill for it.


allison krauss's is a cover. keith whitley wrote it, and recorded it long before she did .



_________________
RIP my sweet boy Indi...my grumpy old man Charlie...precious Oliver and my sweet girl Faith
bballequalslife



Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 3861
Location: Near Knoxvegas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/08 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Seriously? I so didn't know that. Shocked

I still have yet to hear a version that comes to close to hers, however.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin