RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ole Miss-Maryland: The Next Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:00 am    ::: Ole Miss-Maryland: The Next Day Reply Reply with quote

Since people wanted both continue and new threads, I'll try to answer "hartford region" thread comments and post stuff here instead.

I'll say it point blank - that was the best defensive team I've seen all season. I thought that last game, Ole Miss was helped by their opposition's inability to do anything. Maybe I was mistaken. The defensive pressure Ole Miss puts on is intense, physical and smothering. They were amazing to watch.

Funny, when they are introduced, Ole Miss walks onto the court at about 1 mile per hour, and strolls over to midcourt. We were joking about how they better wake up, it's game time. Then the ball goes in the air and BANG it's starter's pistol time. The traps are tight. They play the passing lanes very well, and Price does it better than anyone I've EVER seen. She plays those lanes and anticipates what the opponent is thinking better than anyone since Bobby Fischer beat Boris Spasky. She was one move ahead of Maryland's guards all game. Forget the cross court pass, it just wasn't going to make it. And Awkward is a great PG. She really has the brains, the handle, and at least last night, made big shot after big shot.

They slap at the ball inside, and they don't seem to foul often. Langhorne misses 6 shots? Has she done that since grade school? She had to rush to get the ball up, because as soon as it got into her there were three defenders slapping at the ball. Harper, forget about. She couldn't even pivot without the ball being popped out of her hands. And it wasn't Maryland being careless, it was defense.

Comments other thread about Doron in the first half being invisible. Price, Price, Price. That matchup zone/man defense they play put Price on Doron almost the entire first half. She couldn't get the ball. They did not get it to her at all with the defense. Frese didn't adjust and move her around away from Price until the 2nd half, where she did some damage. Congrats on a great college career Shay; you're inspiring to people like the kid, who loves you, and you're the starting point for this Maryland program!

Maryland's point play was in a word, putrid. Toliver was a turnover machine at the point, but had a nice shooting game and was the only offense. So Brenda tried to go back to SWG, who must have been an SEC sympathizer last night. She was beyond bad. I can deal with poor play, but she didn't hustle. I'm sure TV didn't pick it up, but SEVERAL times, SWG stood at the 3 point line (offensive end) and did not run back more than a light job as Ole Miss ran in for a layup. At least Toliver tried to get back when she was robbed. SWG dogged it, big time. I was really, really aggravated with her lack of effort. Frese pulled her in and out more times than a yo-yo (I had another analogy in mind, but....). Frese tried Newman, she tried Harper, she went back to SWG, nothing. Maryland got nothing at all out of that 5th spot.

Even in this game, you can see Coleman is something special. Her effort, her hustle, her movements....she's so fluid on the court. If there is such thing as a "natural" it's Coleman. She didn't shoot particularly well, but she never gave up. One particular play, started with a Maryland turnover, Coleman raced back, poked it away, then dove out of bounds after it, taking out the retaining wall with her. Great, great hustle. She was awesome on the boards too, and I believe had a double-double last night. It was tough to see her crying when she fouled out. Same with Shay.

Conclusions:
1. OU should be VERY AFRAID. Terrible matchup for them. OU's not the quickest team, and Ole Miss IS. Everytime CP pivots, they are going to be all over her and the ball, like they did to Langhorne. The traps are really going to test the freshman PG. It's going to be a fun game to watch
2. Maryland will be back. Great timeout, despite pissing off the crowd who wanted UConn to start earlier, with 10 seconds left. Frese gathered Coleman, Langhorne, Toliver, SWG and Newman. You could see she must have been saying something like "don't forget how this feels cause we're coming back".
3. TAKE PRICE IN THE DRAFT. I am telling you, this girl is going to be a star. She's got that "it" factor. She's not a great shooter, but a coach will drill that into improvement. The defense, the hustle, the leadership...Minnesota Lynx, take note. Put her at the 2 guard, play Seimone at the 3, and RUN.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So many bad puns with Price, but let's just say her stock is rising and another win could put her in the top 5 whereas some wouldn't take her in the 1st round before the tournament.
Great recap, D.

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:13 am    ::: Re: Ole Miss-Maryland: The Next Day Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
3. TAKE PRICE IN THE DRAFT. I am telling you, this girl is going to be a star. She's got that "it" factor. She's not a great shooter, but a coach will drill that into improvement. The defense, the hustle, the leadership...Minnesota Lynx, take note. Put her at the 2 guard, play Seimone at the 3, and RUN.

I wouldn't bet much money that she'll be there when the Lynx pick. I still see her in Chicago with Canty running the point.

PostPosted: 03/21/07 9:29 am    ::: Re: Ole Miss-Maryland: The Next Day Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I wouldn't bet much money that she'll be there when the Lynx pick. I still see her in Chicago with Canty running the point.

Would be a very strong defensive backcourt for sure, with Dupree and Currie at the wings? Just need a shot blocker and you've got one helluva defense.

sketchbook88

PostPosted: 03/21/07 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was away and only saw the second half and was shocked. How did that happen? Credit to Ole Miss though. I'm a Terps fan, but they were rather disappointing this year with all the talent. It just makes me appreciate more what Pat and Geno have done in their respective three-peats. I didn't really see any of Pat's teams, but UCONN's 2003 and 2004 championship teams... to be able to keep the same chemistry from the previous year in tact with basically the same exact players if phenomenal.

I'm sure the Terps will be back because this one will sting for a while.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/21/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, forgot....kudos to LaMont Jordan for making the trip to Hartford! And he ain't no 5'10, let me tell you. Wink

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 03/21/07 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think she was less than a 1st rounder before the tourney. Look at what she's done in the SEC over 4 years. What nut of a GM/Coach wouldn't take a chance, at least, on replicating that in the W? I do agree, though, that her stock is rising because of the many things she can do as a guard. Her play compensates for our thinness in the post. Make no mistakes though, our post players may be smaller, but the effort is 15-% every night! I'd love for Price to be in Houston....but......we'll have to see about that. Otherwise, great article on the win.

PostPosted: 03/21/07 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The repeats by Geno and Pat also weren't their 1st championships. You build the winning attitude and expectation, then you cultivate it into your style of play....you won't play at TN, UConn, MD, UMiss, etc. unless you want to do the things it takes to win another championship. That takes time. Look at Baylor. Maryland will be back, they have 2 more chances with practically the same lineup. Also remember, just because a team brings back its nucleus, other teams are watching in the wings and getting better.....just MHO....

PostPosted: 03/21/07 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a huge Armintie Price/Ole Miss fan so I naturally picked the upset. Cool

I haven't had the chance to see Maryland play much but I will say this...Shay Doron impressed the heck out of me! That kid got knocked around & down and never stopped fighting. All heart, that kid. Things weren't going her way and her team was treading water but she never quit. That's a true champion. What a pleasure for Maryland fans to have watched her for 4 years.
I know watching Rebel basketball won't be the same for awhile without Arminite. She is a true treasure, like Doran and the game has been blessed with their presence.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 03/21/07 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a huge Armintie Price/Ole Miss fan so I naturally picked the upset. Cool

I haven't had the chance to see Maryland play much but I will say this...Shay Doron impressed the heck out of me! That kid got knocked around & down and never stopped fighting. All heart, that kid. Things weren't going her way and her team was treading water but she never quit. That's a true champion. What a pleasure for Maryland fans to have watched her for 4 years.
I know watching Rebel basketball won't be the same for awhile without Arminite. She is a true treasure, like Doran and the game has been blessed with their presence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: