RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Payback Part 2: Rene Calls Big 10 to Protest Physical Play
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:39 am    ::: Payback Part 2: Rene Calls Big 10 to Protest Physical Play Reply Reply with quote

http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2007/01/16/Basketball/Stronger.Lions.Secure.Revenge-2633603.shtml?sourcedomain=www.michigandaily.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

Portland called the amount of contact in the first meeting between (Penn State and Michigan) "nonsense," and even said she made a call to Big Ten Coordinator of Officials, Patty Broderick, following last week's matchup to review the game film.

"I can't teach (my team) how to be bullies," Portland said. "But I can teach them how to defend themselves, and they did that today."

After Penn State's first meeting with Michigan, Portland sent tape clips of questionable calls to the Big Ten's head of officials, hoping to change the Lady Lions' fortunes.

"On Thursday, when Wisconsin played at Michigan, Wisconsin shot 36 foul shots to Michigan's 11, and so obviously I helped Wisconsin," Portland joked. "And I wasn't sure there were times today when I helped myself."

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2007/01/01-16-07tdc/01-16-07dsports-04.asp

Portland had earlier said of the first contest, "I've seen more blood in this game than in any game I've ever coached. It was extremely physical."

joetro

PostPosted: 01/17/07 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably too much girl-on-girl action for her.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/17/07 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:

Laughing

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 01/17/07 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:

Excellent! Laughing

And since when isn't the Big Ten a very physical conference? She's such a whiny-ass bitch, good god.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/17/07 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:

Maybe she thinks teh ghey is contagious, and if her players brush up against one of those... well, you know... (Wink) on the other team, they could bring teh ghey into her sanctified locker room! Oh noes!

PostPosted: 01/17/07 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to be known as the Portland defender by any means, but what if, by chance, this was a reasonable concern.

Was there anyone there who saw this game? I am going to ask my friends what they thought about their game with Michigan. I'm curious if there is any truth behind it.

PostPosted: 01/17/07 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
I don't want to be known as the Portland defender by any means, but what if, by chance, this was a reasonable concern.

Impossible. She's a homophobe, she can't be right about anything.

PostPosted: 01/17/07 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once a dumb c**t, always a dumb c**t, and she's one huge dumb c**t.

Seriously, someone should call the Big Ten office and complain about the amount of chemicals she uses in her hair and on her face. That crap has to cause brain damage...........I mean hello, look at Example A, Rene herself!

PostPosted: 01/17/07 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it has nothing to do with Rene's homophobia. it has a lot to do with the other annoying aspects of her personality.

one trait is that she's always screaming about something, no matter how nonsensical. when Whalen won B10 POY, she went ballistic, said it was a disgrace, promised to file an appeal to the

another trait is that she's always looking to place blame elsewhere. she has a history of ripping her own players in the press. plus yanking them from games, screaming at the sidelines, and even kicking them off the team.

so PSU loses to Michigan. Michigan is terrible. How does Rene respond? blame the officiating.

another trait is that she pulls shit like this to in opponents' heads. remember McCarville's senior year, right before the PSU-MN game, Rene makes some big show about how she thought there should be a rule to outlaw Janel's half-court picks. of course she never really thought there should be such a rule... it was just a ploy...

so here, too, before the Michigan rematch, she makes some big show about how they played dirty the first time.

in sum, she's a whiny, cruel, self-absorbed, classless bitch.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/17/07 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

It can't be said any better than that!!!!

PostPosted: 01/17/07 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
it has nothing to do with Rene's homophobia. it has a lot to do with the other annoying aspects of her personality.

one trait is that she's always screaming about something, no matter how nonsensical. when Whalen won B10 POY, she went ballistic, said it was a disgrace, promised to file an appeal to the

another trait is that she's always looking to place blame elsewhere. she has a history of ripping her own players in the press. plus yanking them from games, screaming at the sidelines, and even kicking them off the team.

so PSU loses to Michigan. Michigan is terrible. How does Rene respond? blame the officiating.

another trait is that she pulls shit like this to in opponents' heads. remember McCarville's senior year, right before the PSU-MN game, Rene makes some big show about how she thought there should be a rule to outlaw Janel's half-court picks. of course she never really thought there should be such a rule... it was just a ploy...

so here, too, before the Michigan rematch, she makes some big show about how they played dirty the first time.

It's just a warm-up for her annual "It's not fair to have the B11 Tournament in Indianapolis even though no other city wants it and it's not economically feasible anywhere else" rant.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/17/07 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

It's just a warm-up for her annual "It's not fair to have the B11 Tournament in Indianapolis even though no other city wants it and it's not economically feasible anywhere else" rant.

Another good point. She will most certainly bitch about this, especially if by some miracle her team has to stay over on that Saturday before they play on Sunday. That's when her horns really start smoking.

PostPosted: 01/17/07 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent post, womens_hoops. It reminded of several incidents involving Portland, including one that you did not mention that was described in Geno Auriemma's book, Geno.

In this excerpt, Geno is talking about the excitement leading up to the 2004 National Championship in New Orleans. Diana Taurasi and company are going for their 3rd straight national championship. The Huskies opponent, powerhouse Tennessee, are no. 1 in the nation and have been to the Final Four three straight years.

Quote:
So now it's the day of the game, and the national anthem is being played at the 10-minute mark, and Pat and I are both out there. We're walking off the court, and I grab her arm. I say, "Hey Pat, you finally have someone you can hate more than me now." She stops and says, "Who?" I answer, "Rene Portland. Did you hear what she said today?"

Rene Portland is the women's coach at Penn State. She received some lifetime achievement award the day before the final, and in front of all the coaches from all around the country she stands up and says, "The only reason those two teams are playing for the national championship tomorrow is bad seeding and bad officiating."

She is saying the only reason we got there was because we beat her ass at the Hartford Civic Center, and the only reason Tennessee got there was because they got that call against Baylor. She chooses that opportunity, in front of everyone in our profession, to make those comments. It is totally disrespectful, and I'm ticked off.

Rene Portland is one of those coaches who was there in the beginning of the "modern era" of women's basketball, even before the NCAA took over. Marianne Stanley, Pat Summitt, Jody Conradt, Debbie Ryan, Rene Portland, and a few others worked really, really hard to get the game to the level that it has gotten to today.

Each of them handles that a little differently. The way Rene handles it is, "We're Penn State, and you're not." In other words, we're better than you. Our kids are smarter, and better, because we're Penn State. That kind of attitude always pisses me off. Now, if you're Pat Summitt and you want to act that way, then fine. You've earned it. But Pat doesn't act that way. We don't act that way. People that do? My feeling is, "Kiss my ass."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?page=geno/excerpt

ChiChi

PostPosted: 01/17/07 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Rene, the world is out to get you.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 01/17/07 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every...single...damn...year...she complains about the Big10 Championship being in Indianapolis. I'm sick to death of it, you'd think the commissioners would do a pre-emptive strike and tell her to not bother opening her mouth.

Where are we supposed to have it? Freaking Pennsylvania?!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
...even though no other city wants it and it's not economically feasible anywhere else...

i'm pretty sure we'd take it, at least now and then.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
...even though no other city wants it and it's not economically feasible anywhere else...

i'm pretty sure we'd take it, at least now and then.

Where is "we"?

shock6666

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Was there anyone there who saw this game? I am going to ask my friends what they thought about their game with Michigan. I'm curious if there is any truth behind it.

I was at the game and I don't see what her problem is...and I'm not just saying that because we're talking about Rene...and I did actually watch the game during the protest. I think what her main problem was is that at one point, one of her players (It was one of the ones she really likes and favors) got smacked in the face during play around the PSU basket and was knocked to the ground. Other than that, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary during the course of the entire game. Even that play....it was hard to tell who smacked who under the basket. I think it was just two players running into each other trying to get to a loose ball. I think she was just humiliated at Michigan - the horrible loss and being protested by the lavender menace and she needed someone to take it out on...

Last edited by shock6666 on 01/17/07 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
hooper1

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Excellent post, womens_hoops. It reminded of several incidents involving Portland, including one that you did not mention that was described in Geno Auriemma's book, Geno.

In this excerpt, Geno is talking about the excitement leading up to the 2004 National Championship in New Orleans. Diana Taurasi and company are going for their 3rd straight national championship. The Huskies opponent, powerhouse Tennessee, are no. 1 in the nation and have been to the Final Four three straight years.

Quote:
So now it's the day of the game, and the national anthem is being played at the 10-minute mark, and Pat and I are both out there. We're walking off the court, and I grab her arm. I say, "Hey Pat, you finally have someone you can hate more than me now." She stops and says, "Who?" I answer, "Rene Portland. Did you hear what she said today?"

Rene Portland is the women's coach at Penn State. She received some lifetime achievement award the day before the final, and in front of all the coaches from all around the country she stands up and says, "The only reason those two teams are playing for the national championship tomorrow is bad seeding and bad officiating."

She is saying the only reason we got there was because we beat her ass at the Hartford Civic Center, and the only reason Tennessee got there was because they got that call against Baylor. She chooses that opportunity, in front of everyone in our profession, to make those comments. It is totally disrespectful, and I'm ticked off.

Rene Portland is one of those coaches who was there in the beginning of the "modern era" of women's basketball, even before the NCAA took over. Marianne Stanley, Pat Summitt, Jody Conradt, Debbie Ryan, Rene Portland, and a few others worked really, really hard to get the game to the level that it has gotten to today.

Each of them handles that a little differently. The way Rene handles it is, "We're Penn State, and you're not." In other words, we're better than you. Our kids are smarter, and better, because we're Penn State. That kind of attitude always pisses me off. Now, if you're Pat Summitt and you want to act that way, then fine. You've earned it. But Pat doesn't act that way. We don't act that way. People that do? My feeling is, "Kiss my ass."

Geno needed more help with the writing of that book. His conclusion is "Kiss my ass?" How literate of him. Rolling Eyes (He sounds as whiney as she is!)

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Where is "we"?

Minneapolis.

It's not an easy issue. Indianapolis is a great hoops town. And it's centrally located for the conference. But it does give Purdue and Indy an advantage that the other teams don't have. And there are a lot of fans that would love to host in their town at least now and then. And it might help to develop the fan base to have it rotate.

But I'm not sure you could rotate it to all 11 schools. Some are really hard to get to. Some don't draw well.

I'd like to see a little rotation. But unlike Rene, I don't view it as the greatest injustice since Jim Crow.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 01/17/07 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
Geno needed more help with the writing of that book. His conclusion is "Kiss my ass?" How literate of him. Rolling Eyes

Actually, that's not how he concludes the passage describing Rene's behavior at the Final Four.

Quote:
I remember when we are trying to build our program in the 1980s. We wanted to play people who were better than us, because that's the only way you improve. I contact Penn State because they are an East Coast team. They say, "Why would we waste our time playing you guys? What's in it for us?" Their attitude is, "Come here and play us five times, and maybe we'll come to your place."

Meanwhile, we call C. Vivian Stringer at Iowa and ask, "Can we come out and play in your tournament?" and she says, "Fine. Come on out." We call Tara VanDerveer at Stanford and ask, "Can we play in your tournament?" and she says, "Sure."

So here's the cool part. We go out to Iowa's tournament in 1989, and guess who we play? Penn State. We beat them in overtime, in a great, great game. It is sweet. I really, really enjoyed it. Now, all these years later, Rene Portland makes these comments at the Final Four, and to me, it shows her true colors. It's all a bunch of sour grapes.

Pat is just as furious as I am about what Rene says. She's in an uproar. I tell her, "Rene Portland needs to be held accountable for this. Someone needs to say something to her." Pat agrees as we walk off the court together.

"Rene Portland needs to be held accountable for this. Someone needs to say something to her."

Good luck with that one in the Happy Valley.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 01/17/07 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

I was at the game and I don't see what her problem is...and I'm not just saying that because we're talking about Rene... I think she was just humiliated at Michigan - the horrible loss and being protested by the lavender menace and she needed someone to take it out on...

Bingo.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/17/07 11:13 pm    ::: Michigan vs. PSU Reply Reply with quote

What Portland failed to mention is that two Michigan players, Kalyn McPherson and Ashley Jones were already bleeding before her kid got hurt. Carly Benson had a contact dislodged, too. It was bloody for both sides, but I didn't see anything unusual foul-wise or officiating-wise for a Big 10 game. Jones went back in with a packed nose, McPherson got taped up, but the PSU player was knocked woozy and didn't return.

Portland's comment on the Wisconsin/Michigan disparity in free throws was interesting... It certainly felt like a very one-sided game as I watched it. I've never heard refs booed as much as that crew was on Thursday. It really seemed like the refs decided the game.

Koopster

PostPosted: 01/18/07 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Where is "we"?

Minneapolis.

It's not an easy issue. Indianapolis is a great hoops town. And it's centrally located for the conference. But it does give Purdue and Indy an advantage that the other teams don't have. And there are a lot of fans that would love to host in their town at least now and then. And it might help to develop the fan base to have it rotate.

But I'm not sure you could rotate it to all 11 schools. Some are really hard to get to. Some don't draw well.

I'd like to see a little rotation. But unlike Rene, I don't view it as the greatest injustice since Jim Crow.

It does give Purdue an advantage...there is no doubt about that. I believe that the central location is helpful...but Indianapolis is also a good economical decision. I travel frequently and could rarely if ever find a hotel, dining, and shopping that would compare to that of a city the size of Indy. There are only a few programs that could also have a good draw in their own backyard...Minny is one of them.

shock6666

PostPosted: 01/18/07 6:36 am    ::: Re: Michigan vs. PSU Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
What Portland failed to mention is that two Michigan players, Kalyn McPherson and Ashley Jones were already bleeding before her kid got hurt. Carly Benson had a contact dislodged, too. It was bloody for both sides, but I didn't see anything unusual foul-wise or officiating-wise for a Big 10 game. Jones went back in with a packed nose, McPherson got taped up, but the PSU player was knocked woozy and didn't return.

I was hoping you'd get here to comment on that game...Rene biased?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: