RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

oh, sheet! transactions 4-28
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:24 am    ::: oh, sheet! transactions 4-28 Reply Reply with quote

April 28
The Houston Comets waived LaTonya Johnson and Tracy Reid. (what a waste of time!)
The Phoenix Mercury waived Latoya Turner.
The Seattle Storm waived Steffanie Blackmon. (what a waste, period.)

maybe i'm not getting this, but wasn't blackmon even trade-worthy?

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Seattle Storm waived Steffanie Blackmon

Is she injured? I was surprised she fell so far in the draft, and just as surprised to see her cut so early.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
The Seattle Storm waived Steffanie Blackmon

Is she injured? I was surprised she fell so far in the draft, and just as surprised to see her cut so early.

No doubt, what is up with her?

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe she was waived so anot her team could pick her up. some players are waived early just to give them a chance on another team.

Thats probably not really the case, but I remember a few teams doing it before.

sambista

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
maybe she was waived so anot her team could pick her up. some players are waived early just to give them a chance on another team.

understood, but can trading no longer take place now? because i'm not sure i'd just let blackmon go, for nothing.

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

understood, but can trading no longer take place now? because i'm not sure i'd just let blackmon go, for nothing.

Blackmon was a third round pick, trading her doesn't seem an option because if someone wanted her, they would have drafted her.

I think it's just another case of good college player in a structured program who can't transition to the much tougher pro league, she's not big (or mean) enough to be a center in the west.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I re-watched the second half of the NCAA Women's Championship game last week-end and I kept seeing Blackmon doing all the little things, along with playing incredible defense and scoring 22 points.

She is undersized for center in the league, no aruguement there; but she has an uncanny knack for good defensive play, it seems to me.

I was hoping if Seattle was going to cut her that they would early, so she might get a look elsewhere. This might be one of those cases where she has to go overseas, bulk up herself and her game and come back and give it a whirl in the future.

Regarding her being a third-round draft pick, I really don't think she was...it just happened that way. BTW, where was Koehn drafted? Again, just not enough spots for some really good college players.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:55 am    ::: Re: oh, sheet! transactions 4-28 Reply Reply with quote

So far, my opening day roster is shaping up.

S= Starter
R= Reserve

Guards
S - Janeth Arcain 5-11
R- Dominique Canty 5-9
R- Jenni Dant 5-10
R- Roneeka Hodges 5-11
S- Sheila Lambert 5-7

Wings/Posts
R- Adrienne Goodson 5-11
R- Pollyanna Johns Kimbrough 6-3
R- Sancho Lyttle 6-4
S- Tari Phillips 6-1
S- Michelle Snow 6-5
S- Sheryl Swoopes 6-0
R- Kristen Rasmussen 6-2
IL - Tina Thompson 6-2

sambista

PostPosted: 04/28/05 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I re-watched the second half of the NCAA Women's Championship game last week-end and I kept seeing Blackmon doing all the little things, along with playing incredible defense and scoring 22 points.

She is undersized for center in the league, no aruguement there; but she has an uncanny knack for good defensive play, it seems to me.

right. this is what i took away from the tourney, too. i didn't notice her till then, actually, but she's listed as a forward anyway . . .

PostPosted: 04/28/05 12:42 pm    ::: Re: oh, sheet! transactions 4-28 Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:

S= Starter
R= Reserve

Guards
S - Janeth Arcain 5-11
R- Dominique Canty 5-9
R- Jenni Dant 5-10
R- Roneeka Hodges 5-11
S- Sheila Lambert 5-7

Wings/Posts
R- Adrienne Goodson 5-11
R- Sancho Lyttle 6-4
S- Tari Phillips 6-1
S- Michelle Snow 6-5
S- Sheryl Swoopes 6-0
R- Kristen Rasmussen 6-2
IL - Tina Thompson 6-2

When the Comets re-sign PJK?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/28/05 1:05 pm    ::: blackmon, koehn Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Regarding her being a third-round draft pick, I really don't think she was...it just happened that way. BTW, where was Koehn drafted? Again, just not enough spots for some really good college players.

Koehn wasn't drafted. I believe she's now in Mystics training camp. They could use a three-ball shooter.

Blackmon works hard but I'm not surprised. I watched Baylor four times this year: Big XII final, Sweet 16 vs Minnesota, Final Four vs LSU, champ game vs State. In the Big XII final she did fine, but K-State had no serious posts-- she wasn't challeneged. Vs Minnesota Sophia Young did a brilliant defensive job, Blackmon really didn't-- I believe Young spent most of the game defending Broback (who got absolutely shut down) and Blackmon spent most of the game on McCarville (who did OK-- not her best game, but more a mental issue for her than tough D). I may be remembering wrong. Vs LSU Blackmon was completely ineffective: Mulk won by taking her out, sending in Niemann, and playing zone. Vs State Blackmon didn't do much in the first half; after the rain of threes, State had to spread out their defense, leaving Blackmon open in the post.

Blackmon seems to me a solid college player who benefited immensely from playing alongside the virtually unstoppable Sophia Young, in a conference with no pro-quality true 5s (such as Davenport or Fowles) to reveal her weaknesses during the reg-season.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/28/05 1:13 pm    ::: Re: oh, sheet! transactions 4-28 Reply Reply with quote

Futurama wrote:
MT_Swoopes wrote:

S= Starter
R= Reserve

Guards
S - Janeth Arcain 5-11
R- Dominique Canty 5-9
R- Jenni Dant 5-10
R- Roneeka Hodges 5-11
S- Sheila Lambert 5-7

Wings/Posts
R- Adrienne Goodson 5-11
R- Sancho Lyttle 6-4
S- Tari Phillips 6-1
S- Michelle Snow 6-5
S- Sheryl Swoopes 6-0
R- Kristen Rasmussen 6-2
IL - Tina Thompson 6-2

When the Comets re-sign PJK?

They haven't. This roster is based on my desire; not reality.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/28/05 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see the Comets try to take a look at Blackmon, at least for the sake of looking. I consider Tiff an almost sure thing still, but would like to see PJK back. Blackmon could be cheap on the IR if we happen to have the cash. I also think it would be worth our while to try to look at whomever gets cut as a PG from the Sun camp, as well as checking out Nuria Martinez if her injury gets her snipped from the Lynx camp. If Strom gets cut from the Sun, and Van doesn't at least try to look at her, I will be infuriated. I would just really like us to look at as many PG options as possible to keep Janeth off the ball and for the long term.

PostPosted: 04/28/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
. I would just really like us to look at as many PG options as possible to keep Janeth off the ball and for the long term.

maybe Tom can trade for his wife. Canty for Jae?

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/28/05 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blackmon is nothing special. She's not big for a post and she has good athleticism but it's not extraordinary. Her skillset is run of the mill. She could find a place on the bench in this league but I don't think the Storm are missing out on anything significant.

Canty for Cross? Interesting but considering Phoenix has no other decent backup PG (I don't think Veal is ready), I'd have to say no.
gopher5

PostPosted: 04/28/05 5:40 pm    ::: Updated 4/28 transactions Reply Reply with quote

April 28
The San Antonio Silver Stars re-signed Adrian Williams.
The Minnesota Lynx waived Monique Bivens.

The Charlotte Sting waived Shalonda Enis.
The Houston Comets waived Tanisha Johnson, LaTonya Johnson and Tracy Reid.
The Phoenix Mercury waived Jamie Carey and Latoya Turner.
The Seattle Storm waived Steffanie Blackmon.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/28/05 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many PFs does San Antonio need? They'll probably start two PFs.
Futurama

PostPosted: 04/28/05 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Canty for Cross? Interesting but considering Phoenix has no other decent backup PG (I don't think Veal is ready), I'd have to say no.

yeah, i posted that before they added Jamie Carey to the waiver wire.
Anyway, I just thought it would have made an interesting headline.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/05 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

Perhaps they're trying to emulate the Monarchs.

They might start three PFs, at the 3-4-5.

PostPosted: 04/28/05 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Keegan wrote:

Perhaps they're trying to emulate the Monarchs.

They might start three PFs, at the 3-4-5.

Another thing to consider is that it might be more of a GM move than a coaching move.

If you have the roster room and the money, you may as well hold on to any possible talent just in case they can be used for future trades. Another possibility is that the front office wants to hold on to her for fan relations.

Starting 2 PFs instead of a PF and a Center, yes. Idea

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/28/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Tamara Moore get more minutes as the backup 1 than Jae Cross did last year? I like that trade, Cross MIGHT be able to flourish in Houston (who knows with Van) and Canty would serve as a decent backup to DeForge. When DeForge comes out Taylor can move to the perimeter and and Canty can drive/slash.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/28/05 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Didn't Tamara Moore get more minutes as the backup 1 than Jae Cross did last year? I like that trade, Cross MIGHT be able to flourish in Houston (who knows with Van) and Canty would serve as a decent backup to DeForge. When DeForge comes out Taylor can move to the perimeter and and Canty can drive/slash.

Moore got more backup minutes, in part because she played the entire season in Phoenix. Cross was picked up from the waiver wire in mid-season.

There is NO need for Canty in Phoenix. Moore can backup the two and is effective at dribble penetration. More importantly, Phoenix has Belinda Snell, who can play the 2 and the 3.

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 04/28/05 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/28/05 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Didn't Tamara Moore get more minutes as the backup 1 than Jae Cross did last year?

Tamara played a lot of backup 2 as well.

The only reason why I'd consider Canty is because of her D but it's not like she'd be playing big minutes. I certainly wouldn't sacrifice Jae for her.

Last edited by Keegan on 04/28/05 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/28/05 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Tamara played a lot of backup 2.

Moore played the backup point with Taurasi in the game. She played the backup two when Taurasi was out of the game. She played the two when Cross was in the game.

But during the first half of the season, she primarly backed up the point (this was before we had Cross).

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/28/05 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So chances are slim Shareka Wright will make the roster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: