RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I need a review...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SORF

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:24 am    ::: I need a review... Reply Reply with quote

I have been out of town due to personal reasons, so I have fallen behind on WNBA news. Could I get an update of what's been happening since 4-15-05...such as how did Detroit get two picks in the first round of the WNBA draft?

I saw the draft results in the Indy paper, and the article that the Fever believe they got a steal with Tan White...but other than that, and that the Comets' drafted Sancho Lyttle, I have heard very little. Confused

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Detroit sent Iciss Tillis to Washington for the #13 pick.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, well first, Adams resigned as the Mystics coach. Along with that, the Mystics traded their #13 pick for Iciss Tillis. This left the Shock with the 7 and 13 picks in the first round. With the 7 they chose Kara Braxton who many believed should have gone earlier. Personally, I don't mind the Lyttle pick for the Comets, but I think that Braxton would have helped bulk up the front line, but I suppose that is the purpose Tari will be serving.

With their second pick in the draft, the Shock picked Dionnah Jackson, who I had hoped the Comets would go for if Wecker was off the board. Again, I am satisfied with the Lyttle pick, mainly because it wasn't the undersized Temeka Johnson, who I am more than reserved about. I was upset with the Comets passing on Jackson with a clear need for a point guard, and this would be one with good size and a well-rounded game. However...

... Jenni Dant is an exciting pick to me. Getting her as late as we did was shocking, because she has good size like Jackson and scoring ability from the point. I really hope she sticks and can be the point guard of the future. Her athleticism is solid, and I think the key will be good decision making. She was a very solid threat (37%) from 3 point range her senior year which could be crucial to a team that features almost no real 3 point threat with Tina out.

But perhaps the most enticing pick for the Comets is Roneeka Hodges. With Snow, Tari, Tiff, and Tina when she returns, we have a pretty solid post lineup. That is my concern with the Lyttle pick. However, with Tari aging and Tiff nothing more than a backup, a pick for the future of our post isn't the worst thing, and a pretty solid choice by Van. Hopefully Lyttle can crash the boards and prove herself so that Tina can be pushed to the small forward spot for the future. But back to Hodges. She proved to have better scoring ability than her sister, Roneeka who stuck with the Sparks last year and seemed to carve out a bit of a niche for herself by the end of the year. Given the choice, I think I would have to take Roneeka over Canty if it came down to it. Hodges has very solid size for a guard (5'11) and is okay from 3, but she has an undeniable ability to score. IMO she is the steal of the draft. You don't get steals at #2, and Tan isn't a steal, she's a top pick. I saw the same article you did and rolled my eyes.

Anyway, so the Comets had an awkwardly strong draft in my opinion. I think that we picked up three players who all bring something to the table that the Comets need. Whether or not they will be ready to contribute immediately or well is another issue, but I think the picks are in the right direction. I feel as though with the additions of veterans Goodson, Raz, and Tari, as well as the already beefed up salaries of Tina and Sheryl and Janeth, these rookie salaries will be welcomed and this could push out Tiffani, Canty, and Blue who cost much more. I don't really see Tracy Reid being able to stick at her salary either.

Ahhh, anyway, sorta lost the train of thought. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: 04/23/05 11:50 am    ::: Re: I need a review... Reply Reply with quote

I was really sorry to hear about yor loss, SORF.

: (

I think Indy did really well. The problem is that Winters is still head coach.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/23/05 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:

Anyway, so the Comets had an awkwardly strong draft in my opinion.

Great line! Great summary as well.

PostPosted: 04/24/05 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the catch up.

Slovydal, thanks for your condolences...when we left Indy Saturday morning, it was so cold already. Did you get the snow that was forecasted?

And Alepp, great write up. VC had better show Tiff the door this year...I'm tired of her great playing during Training Camp and nothing but her slow moving "I don't care act" in the regular season. No more stealing paychecks for Tiff!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/24/05 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it really did get cold Sat! I saw a few snowflakes blowing around, outside my window, but they melted right away. (It was about 37)
A big change from a few days ago, when it felt like summer already!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: