RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breaking News: Alexander wants to sell the Houston Comets.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Clay...remind me of which WNBA player was consistently the top vote getter in All Star balloting until last season????

Miss No-personality Swoopes, right? Or did I miss something.

We love her...we have her...we don't care how she treats you or any other member of the media.

Swoopes, THERE IT IS!

Go stir your stink somewhere else, pardner.

P.S. Thanks for getting my blood pressure up this afternoon. It's cloudy here in Houston, and my eyes were getting heavy.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Hey Clay...remind me of which WNBA player was consistently the top vote getter in All Star balloting until last season????

Miss No-personality Swoopes, right? Or did I miss something.

We love her...we have her...we don't care how she treats you or any other member of the media.

Swoopes, THERE IT IS!

Go stir your stink somewhere else, pardner.

Swoopes has been know to treat fans in a very rude manner. And that is from first-hand experience...on multiple occasions. To be fair, she was never known for her warmth or chipper demeanor...or her ability to be incredibly engaging with fans...certainly not in the mold of Catchings or Taurasi (to name a few).

NK

PostPosted: 10/18/06 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I am not a big fan of Van Chancellor. He has been unfailingly uncooperative with me over the years, almost to the point of rudeness. If I were a network TV guy, I'm sure he would have been Mr. Southern Charm ... hypocrites always annoy me.

That said, Van's reign in Houston has been, by and large, a successful one. He hasn't drafted well, but they've never had high picks. (Who could they have drafted that they didn't?)

Swoopes, a lesser Barry Bonds, is a problem. She's a great, great player, but not the kind of personality you build a franchise around. You can't trade her because she's an icon, but when you keep her as her skills fade, her annoyance factor becomes higher and higher.

Who else could they trade? Tina? Michelle Snow?

I don't think Van's the genius he was made out to be when the Comets were winning it all, but he's not a doofus either. He may be a bit of a jerk, or more than a bit of a jerk, but he's been an above average WNBA coach/GM. Has his time passed? Most likely -- but who out there is going to be better? Ann Meyers?

There are many out there who are better and there are things going on behind the scenes right now as I type this. Would you like me to call Cam and fill him in so he can tell you all about it?

Swoopes was traded after the '04 season, it was the other GM who pulled out at the 11th hour after the deal had been agreed to. As far as drafting, I could give you a long list. The worst was the '99 draft when we came away with virtually nothing.

I once emailed you many years ago and you were rude as well, should I judge you based on that one incident 7+ years ago?

Just to help you out here, Van is a hypocrite. He is also a large jerk when out of the public eye. His time has passed and he is suffering from senility and on medication for it. He's no genius when it comes to coaching or GM skills either. In fact he's far below average for the pro game. He was best suited to small college over-achievers. Now he's best suited for retirement.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

If Michael Cooper was offered the position to re-unite with Karleen and coach the Comets, I believe he would go for it.

Karleen wouldn't.

There's a lot of stuff going on right now and K isn't going to have to take the second chair anymore.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm getting my popcorn. This is a GOOD thread.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes Sheryl does has a bit of an attitude (seen it myself) but, that in no way should be a reflection on the team as a whole and shouldn't have NO barring on the topic at hand, IMO...

Grandmasterflash and the Furious Five
cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/18/06 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen both sides of Swoopes. I have heard her tell ball girls if you want my signature come to Greenspoint. I'm signing there but it'll cost you. Likewise, I have been at Rice Autry Court were she was watching Tina and Coop play and she signed autos until the usher made the little girls leave. You never know what you get. I don't have problem with her one way or the other.

I doubt a new owner would be trying to lose her services or those of Tina's. I was just wonder if the fallout of one of the biggest stars in the game being gay and going with the coach was too much to take in Les' circle of friends. I know it wasn't the deciding factor. It along with falling attendance, fewer season tickets helped him find another way out.

cometsdrivefor5

PostPosted: 10/18/06 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I have seen both sides of Swoopes. I have heard her tell ball girls if you want my signature come to Greenspoint. I'm signing there but it'll cost you. Likewise, I have been at Rice Autry Court were she was watching Tina and Coop play and she signed autos until the usher made the little girls leave. You never know what you get. I don't have problem with her one way or the other.
I doubt a new owner would be trying to lose her services or those of Tina's. I was just wonder if the fallout of one of the biggest stars in the game being gay and going with the coach was too much to take in Les' circle of friends. I know it wasn't the deciding factor. It along with falling attendance, fewer season tickets helped him find another way out.

Well me personally, I'm GLAD he's out...Good ridenence...Oh, I agree with the part I highlighted Wink

NK

PostPosted: 10/18/06 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:

As far as SS goes, it often depends on whether Scottie is there. If she is, forget an autograph. When SS is on her own, she can be a completely different person.

Reagarding Les, he's wanted to get rid of the team for many years. They were the ex-wife's plaything. It's all about ego with Les. The team remains a reminder of her and that is the bottom line as to why he wants them gone. It's not about money, it's about being vindictive.

PostPosted: 10/18/06 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
Reagarding Les, he's wanted to get rid of the team for many years. They were the ex-wife's plaything. It's all about ego with Les. The team remains a reminder of her and that is the bottom line as to why he wants them gone. It's not about money, it's about being vindictive.

Is there any doubt that the disclosure of the divorce settlement a few weeks back is the impetus for this announcement?

PostPosted: 10/18/06 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I'm getting my popcorn. This is a GOOD thread.

That it is. Very Happy

NK

PostPosted: 10/18/06 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NK wrote:

Is there any doubt that the disclosure of the divorce settlement a few weeks back is the impetus for this announcement?

I don't know about that. Les has been wanting to get rid of the Comets for years now, ever since they separated.

Edit* Link to divorce settlement ---> http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbcsouth/content/local_news/epaper/2006/09/29/m1a_ROCKETS_0929.html

PostPosted: 10/18/06 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest tonight from FOX local news;

City Council is discussing buying the team to keep them in the city. That's not a bad idea as they have the power to keep them in the TC.

Mattress Mac and Sam Cassel are together in making an offer for the team.

The Hilton furniture guy, who sponsors the team now is also supposed to be in talks with Les right now to buy the team. He's kind of a new player in the deal here, but there seems to be no shortage of potential buyers. Yes, he does have a daughter named Paris, believe it or not.

A place to play may be the issue to deal with here. The city buying them would solve that though, they could put the squeeze on Les in so many different ways if he weren't cooperative.

This could be the worst or the best thing to ever happen to the Comets. Remains to be seen, but it sure looks like Van won't be around next year regardless, and that's great news.

PostPosted: 10/19/06 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
As far as SS goes, it often depends on whether Scottie is there. If she is, forget an autograph. When SS is on her own, she can be a completely different person.

BINGO!

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 10/19/06 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
This could be the worst or the best thing to ever happen to the Comets. Remains to be seen, but it sure looks like Van won't be around next year regardless, and that's great news.

MsTena-T

PostPosted: 10/19/06 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NK wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:

I can witness that also. Actually the shit is funny to me, cause I often think . . . when your stars fades you are gonna WANT people to WANT your autograph. When I see SS I walk by her ass like she is Ronald McDonald . . . BUT there are times when old Homie ain't around and SS is like the coolest chick on the block. SMH Rolling Eyes

cometsdrivefor5

PostPosted: 10/19/06 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bottom line guys, I personally don't give a RATS ASS how she acts, I JUST DON'T WANT MY TEAM TO POOF BE GONE and thing are looking BRIGHTER by the minute!!! Wink Very Happy

MsTena-T

PostPosted: 10/19/06 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsdrivefor5 wrote:
Bottom line guys, I personally don't give a RATS ASS how she acts, I JUST DON'T WANT MY TEAM TO POOF BE GONE!!! Wink Very Happy

CD45 - your team ain't going nowhere!

And I do give a rat's ass how any team member that I support acts all things aren't acceptable to me team-member are not . . . but overall SS I don't have a problem with her being on the team.

P.S. - I won't hear/see your rant cause I am gone but you can hit me on my hip! Holla! And relax The Comets will still be Houston's Team!

cometsdrivefor5

PostPosted: 10/19/06 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
cometsdrivefor5 wrote:
Bottom line guys, I personally don't give a RATS ASS how she acts, I JUST DON'T WANT MY TEAM TO POOF BE GONE!!! Wink Very Happy

CD45 - your team ain't going nowhere!

And I do give a rat's ass how any team member that I support acts all things aren't acceptable to me team-member are not . . . but overall SS I don't have a problem with her being on the team.
P.S. - I won't hear/see your rant cause I am gone but you can hit me on my hip! Holla! And relax The Comets will still be Houston's Team!

Yeah, yeah, yeah i feel ya but, different strokes for different folks and I still don't give a RAT'S ASS, LET'S PLAY BALL LOL Razz Holla at cha laters Very Happy

Genero36

PostPosted: 10/19/06 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
I can witness that also. Actually the shit is funny to me, cause I often think . . . when your stars fades you are gonna WANT people to WANT your autograph. When I see SS I walk by her ass like she is Ronald McDonald . . . BUT there are times when old Homie ain't around and SS is like the coolest chick on the block. SMH Rolling Eyes

This is why I don't say anything to Sheryl before or after the games, unless she says "hello" to me. Otherwise, I don't need her manchild giving me that nasty look she gives like I am trying to take her woman.

MsTena-T

PostPosted: 10/19/06 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

This is why I don't say anything to Sheryl before or after the games, unless she says "hello" to me. Otherwise, I don't need her manchild giving me that nasty look she gives like I am trying to take her woman.

LOL! and I was gonna say "Her Homeboy"

Quote:
giving me that nasty look she gives like I am trying to take her woman.
. . . either her woman or her meal-ticket!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/19/06 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
either her woman or her meal-ticket!

Given how much Meal Ticket eats, no wonder Sheryl has had financial troubles.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/19/06 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
MsTena-T wrote:
either her woman or her meal-ticket!

Given how much Meal Ticket eats, no wonder Sheryl has had financial troubles.

Laughing

Cam, you're fucking brilliant.

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/19/06 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya'll got jokes today!!! Wink Stay with us Comets, especially TT, Swoopes, Snow and Canty. For you guys on the board, keep the jokes coming. They are sad but true.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/19/06 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the last half dozen or so messages here pretty much hit the nail on the head.

My observations on the group go something like this.

Van Corleone.

lol! Okay there's nothing remotely Mafia or Italian about Van or this situation. But... there's definitely, in my opinion, a major Boss Hog factor that surrounds or permeates Van's position and presence. It's like the Comets are a personal fiefdom. Him, his son, the kids and grand kids. The place is crawling with la familia. And the vibe is unmistakable and unambiguous. This belongs to us. I don't know what the son's position is with the Comets organization, I don't see anything in the register and I'm too lazy to dig out the media guide... but he walks around the place like he owns it. If you don't know what something corrupt looks like... this picture would be a starter in your education. Again, just my opinion and hey... maybe I'm projecting.

But if I'm right I think it speaks to an owner who has handed a plum position to a GM and coach and then just left it all to rot. Job(s) probably pays very well and the perks which have been provided to Van and his family include a measure of affluence and position in Houston. But I think that position has become something that the Chancellors pretty much see as an entitlement. There is and never would be under that owner, in my opinon, any accountability for something as insignificant as a won/loss record, or the detached and disingaged senior citizen style coaching we've all come to know and love.

There's just a little too much job security there, if ya know what I mean, and unless the ownership changes these good old Chancellor boys are going to be in hog heaven for as long as they want to be.

I'd love to see Van gone but I don't see a clear and easy or sure path to that happening FROM right here. Les wanting to sell and people saying they want to buy is a long way from having a new owner. I've been real busy and I haven't read any of the links... but on the matter of a coaching change is there some reason, something that has been said, that leads anyone to believe that any of the potential buyers would fire Van Chancellor? I don't know why a new owner would do something like that. It's not the Dallas Cowboys that we're trying to return to form. I wouldn't assume that even a local owner who follows the Comets as a fan is going to necessarily see things the way we all seem to regarding Van.

edited as promised

I'll get to Swoopes and CK's comments after I get the mrs jammer on the road to Palm Springs. Good thread.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 10/19/06 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: