RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sting for sale?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/06 5:29 am    ::: Sting for sale? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/10/02/story7.html?from_rss=1

Quote:
A group of local investors led by veteran sports marketing executive Cindy Sisson is trying to raise $10 million to buy the WNBA Charlotte Sting.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The current owners obviously don't care. If someone wants to buy them, then thats great.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we could see a move just like Orlando and Utah........

I'm thinking Bentonville, AK.......... Smile

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/02/06 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:
Maybe we could see a move just like Orlando and Utah........

I'm thinking Bentonville, AK.......... Smile

Bentonville, AK, is a dry county. If you are going to move the Sting in their current incarnation, at least move them somewhere that when you watch them you are going to be able to buy a beer.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/02/06 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this has the writing on the wall for the Sting to move to Bentonville, AK. It's always been a matter of time before the Sting relocated somewhere.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/06 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Sisson would be looking to move the team. She's a long time Charlotte person, heavily involved in NASCAR.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[purely selfish statement]

I don't want the Sting to move!! If the Sting relocate, that will severely cut into my ability to support the league, seeing as how that's the closest team to me Crying or Very sad I can always depend on seeing my favorites teams at least once during the season when they come to CHA. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

[/purely selfish statement]

But I know the reality. Oh well, if it happens I guess I'll just have to travel more.

- Diana Taurasi
squints

PostPosted: 10/02/06 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has anyone ever considered massachusetts(sry for the spelling) as a location for a team?

i think it would be more suitable at least money wise then arkansas or they could try a team in florida agian

Barrister15

PostPosted: 10/02/06 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

$10 million? Wow, WNBA teams come cheap. There are brownstones in Brooklyn that go for more than that...

It'd be a shame if Charlotte moves. I think all the movement in the league (teams moving, teams folding), makes the league seem very unstable and therefore fodder for the naysayers that have been anticipating the league folding for the last 10 years.

It would also take away what little representation the league has in the southeast and the one team that the Liberty have a shot at beating every so often. Wink

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/02/06 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
$10 million? Wow, WNBA teams come cheap. There are brownstones in Brooklyn that go for more than that...

It'd be a shame if Charlotte moves. I think all the movement in the league (teams moving, teams folding), makes the league seem very unstable and therefore fodder for the naysayers that have been anticipating the league folding for the last 10 years.

It would also take away what little representation the league has in the southeast and the one team that the Liberty have a shot at beating every so often. Wink

I agree 100 per cent with your posting...and where ever the Sting move to, the Liberty well still beat them...every so often!

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/02/06 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not sure that Sisson would be looking to move the team. She's a long time Charlotte person, heavily involved in NASCAR.

Yeah, I don't think they'll leave.

The Sting don't need to relocate. They just need a passionate, willing buyer, and a capable GM. They've lacked both for years now....

PostPosted: 10/02/06 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertytspoonyankeefan wrote:
has anyone ever considered massachusetts(sry for the spelling) as a location for a team?

i think it would be more suitable at least money wise then arkansas or they could try a team in florida agian

Boston barely supports BC women's basketball, nothing indicates they'd support a wnba team.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Boston barely supports BC women's basketball, nothing indicates they'd support a wnba team.

If you want to tap into a more traditional W market, Boston is not the part of the state for a team to be in.

But I agree, Mass is very close to the Sun. Putting one there doesn't make sense.

squints

PostPosted: 10/02/06 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:

oh ok didnt no that just putting out there because i know its a big sports city

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/02/06 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you look at expansion, you have to take into account if you're going to have a market. Like Matty and REL said, IMHO, Boston wouldn't be a good idea. Philly, maybe. But I say no on Boston.

We need to get more teams nation-wide. But we also must focus on interested areas. The WNBA has learned that it must trust it's owners. Portland did well attendence wise, and were beginning to look like a pretty good team, but their owner one day just decided to dump them. The Cleveland situation was similar IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

But thats why teams like Chicago, Connecticut, and San Antonio(both new teams) are doing so well. Their owners trust in them and work towards making them better both on the court(basketball) and off(business, fan base).

PostPosted: 10/02/06 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sting get decent ownership, that's an awesome thing. So hopefully they get that and stay in Charlotte.

I know that if I knew anyone here with money, and considering the Bentonville situation, I'd be lobbying with all my might to get a stadium built somewhere in the Tri-Cities and put them there. Freedom Hall in Johnson City would hold enough people to keep the team for a year or two until we get a better one built.

Not to mention that ETSU has been exploring the idea of imploding the Mini-Dome, making a parking garage out of it, and building a new arena of their own. That would be perfect timing for sure.

But, there's that one thing, as Ballwinner has said to me 44.6 million times...

Ownership.

Which basically counts us out unless I run into someone in Northeast Tennessee with money and interest in the idea.

So yeah. I hope the Sting stays in Charlotte. That provides me a good vacation every summer. Cool

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/02/06 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
But thats why teams like Chicago, Connecticut, and San Antonio(both new teams) are doing so well. Their owners trust in them and work towards making them better both on the court(basketball) and off(business, fan base).

Uh, San Antonio is NOT doing well. The team only exists because it was an idea to fill the arena a guaranteed 17 times this summer. The franchise is not on stable ground, but it is better off than Charlotte.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/02/06 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Uh, San Antonio is NOT doing well. The team only exists because it was an idea to fill the arena a guaranteed 17 times this summer. The franchise is not on stable ground, but it is better off than Charlotte.

They have played some of the worst basketball (because of injuries and "the curse") this league has seen. They are finally becoming a good team. Formula for success: More wins = better attendence. They survived the doom and gloom years. That's doing well to me.

PostPosted: 10/02/06 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

They have played some of the worst basketball (because of injuries and "the curse") this league has seen. They are finally becoming a good team. Formula for success: More wins = better attendence. They survived the doom and gloom years. That's doing well to me.

SASS is one of the teams with inflated attendance. Their attendance numbers aren't great to begin with, and the numbers include giveaways that aren't used.

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 10/02/06 9:01 pm    ::: Back to Charlotte Reply Reply with quote

Ownership

The League wants the Sting in Charlotte. Bob Johnson & friends got stuck with the ladies for awhile. As the Bobcats are also finding their footing, the organization really doesn't want to "waste" the time and money on the Sting.

If the Sting do stay in Charlotte, I wonder where they would play. UNC-Charlotte?

PostPosted: 10/03/06 2:24 pm    ::: ME Reply Reply with quote

i wish i could be the one getting the team. i know id do a great job.

When you see me make a WISH!
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 10/03/06 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Johnson strikes again. Laughing Truth be told, your boy doesn't even want his NBA team now that he's actually had to put in some work but you didn't hear that from me.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/03/06 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Bob Johnson strikes again. Laughing Truth be told, your boy doesn't even want his NBA team now that he's actually had to put in some work but you didn't hear that from me.

And he only got the NBA team because Stern made him take the WNBA team.

Now, if only Sheila could buy him out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: