RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sky's new coach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beeball

PostPosted: 09/20/06 12:38 pm    ::: Sky's new coach Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyone thought about the Sky and the future of the organization? They are obviously looking for both a head coach and GM. Depending on the individual, they could do both. I'm leaning towards Michael Cooper.
-proven track record (2 championships, coach of the year, winner)
-players love playing for him
-fits the WNBA trend of former NBA players (whether we like it or not, its been pretty successful)
-would do wonders with the Sky posts. (I'm sure LL can agree on that)
-defensive minded kinda coach (which the Sky clearly lacked this season)

Lastly, he knows women's basketball. That's most important!

I wonder if the Sky are heavily pursuing him? I saw that he is the HC of a NBDL team in New Mexico. Would the idea of being HC and GM of a franchise interest him? Something the Sparks never wanted to do. Oh I forgot, they have Penny Toler for that---remember? She passed up Dupree for Willis!! LOL

Rothum

PostPosted: 09/20/06 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There has to be women who are ready to coach at this level.

I am so sick and tired of guys using the W as an audition for the NBA.

I hope Chicago looks farther than the recycling of other team's coaches.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 09/20/06 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since the Sky want a Two-fer, that would put MCoop way ahead of the pack, it seems to me.

But, I hear ya, Rothum.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

Very few women have professional basketball experience. Is the key having coached women's basketball or having coached professional basketball?

Until the W provides more long-term stability, there is no need for top female college coaches to leave.

beeball

PostPosted: 09/20/06 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Cam. The league isn't large enough or stable enough to lure some of the great women's coach's to the WNBA. I wouldn't leave either unless there was job security. We should be hoping for the best candidate, whether its male or female. I was just suggesting that his history proves himself. The Sky need someone like that as their leader. I hope they are considering him.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 09/20/06 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care if a coach is male or female, as long as they get the job done.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league has a hard enough time attracting its own former players to coach, let alone female college coaches making top dollar. When you've got GM's like Blaze doing the hiring, I can see why. Personally, I don't want to see a team hire a woman just because she's a woman, while passing up on someone who gives your franchise instant credibility - not because he's a man and a former NBA player, but because he's won championships and proven to be an excellent coach in this league - like Michael Cooper.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 09/20/06 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a wrinkle for everyone thinking that the only women who will be successful coaching in the pro ranks will have to come from the college coaching ranks: the games are not the same, and with the influence from the male pro players and coaches, there will probably continue to be a divide.

Part of what Cam is saying, I think, is that until there are enough women who have lived in the "professional" basketball world, and grown with a professional sports culture, we will still see men with NBA ties taking coaching positions in the WNBA.

Having watched the debacle of Van Chancellor's coaching career in Houston, I think that bears out the truth about the women's pro game in the States having moved ahead over the last five years. You cannot come into the WNBA with a college coach's mentality and game plan.

That is why I would hope that more college coaches in the women's game would start to at least pay attention to what is going on the WNBA. If they have a desire to see their better players continue to grow in the sport, they will have to know something about the women's pro game...and that means knowing about the WNBA.

Apologies to Cam if I have misrepresented his sentiments.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, you got it right. The coaches rule the college game; the players rule the pro game.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/06 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There may be a few coaches who can make the transition from the college game to the pro game, just as there have been on the men's side. In the main, however, successful pro coaches will come from pro assistants or former pro players.

My guess is that a WNBA team that hires Cheryl Reeve as head coach has a higher chance of success than one that hires Marsha Sharp.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There may be a few coaches who can make the transition from the college game to the pro game, just as there have been on the men's side. In the main, however, successful pro coaches will come from pro assistants or former pro players.

Unless the coach isn't as committed as she should be.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 09/20/06 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay, great ANOTHER recycled former NBA player.

Wow, brilliant.

Im so sick of these former NBA players getting these jobs.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/06 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Unless the coach isn't as committed as she should be.

There are no guarantees. Good assistants don't always make good head coaches, and some players can't make the transition.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Michael Cooper, Karleen Thompson, or Joanne P. McCallie would all be excellent coaches. However, I highly doubt JPM would leave MSU.

PostPosted: 09/20/06 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

Have no idea who they are looking at right now. But after a long, candid conversation with my new ticket rep yesterday, we can at least rest assured whoever it is will have WBB expericence.

And again I'm still impressed with SkyFO.

(welcome aboard Matt!)

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/20/06 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamer4Real wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

Have no idea who they are looking at right now. But after a long, candid conversation with my new ticket rep yesterday, we can at least rest assured whoever it is will have WBB expericence.

(welcome aboard Matt!)

I LOVE our front office, Gamer!

Maragret rocks!

PostPosted: 09/20/06 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

I hope Chicago looks farther than the recycling of other team's coaches.

Don't most people take jobs to try and move up...

I mean, let's be honest..The NBA is the top basketball coaching job, money wise...

I don't care about gender, I'm just hoping that whomever they pick, has a clue about coaching basketball..

PostPosted: 09/22/06 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats all I'm concerned about. Hire someone to that will have an immediate impact on the franchise. Someone with credibility. The window for experiementation with this franchise is closing in my opinion. Gotta do something to keep the support. Snag Cooper if they can.

Kelli

PostPosted: 09/23/06 9:28 am    ::: Pat Babcock McGraw on Search for New Sky Coach Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=babcockmcgraw

beeball

PostPosted: 09/23/06 11:06 am    ::: Re: Pat Babcock McGraw on Search for New Sky Coach Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=babcockmcgraw

Good article. We'll have to wait and see what the Sky do. I'm one who believes that not all assistants make good head coaches so that should be taken into consideration. The Sky do need someone that will give them longevity. They need someone that will have an immediate impact on the team with their leadership. The fact that Cooper is interested in coming back after having a couple chances in the NBA says a lot. Just like some assistant coaches don't always make good head coaches, maybe former NBA players don't always make good NBA head coaches. Food for thought.
I also think that male coaches give some balance to all of the female hormones Very Happy, to be frank. IMO, a male coach is good for the chemistry of a team. I am female, btw. The mix of both works for me. Not so sure if a female head coach would be quick to hire a male as an assistant in this league. I don't get into the whole feminist, gender issue with this sport because at the end of the day, I want my team to be successful, no matter who is running it. As a fan, we're critical of anyone regardless of their gender if they aren't doing well, so there's no need to be Pro-female. So if it's a female coach, wonderful, if it's a male then thats just as wonderful. Just my opinion folks.

wnbafans10

PostPosted: 09/23/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

Ditto. I do want someone who will do a good job though. It is just annoying when the coach leaves after like a season to go to the NBA.

Atlanta: Please don't take Jamie Carey in the expansion draft!!!!
beeball

PostPosted: 09/24/06 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the SkyFO as well.

Gamer4Real wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

(welcome aboard Matt!)

squints

PostPosted: 09/24/06 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Gamer4Real wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

(welcome aboard Matt!)

I LOVE our front office, Gamer!

Maragret rocks!
i wish i could love my front office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: