RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Big East

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/18/06 1:33 pm    ::: The Big East Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to give a little love to the Big East. I just can't decide how this conference is going to go this year. Sometimes I think UCONN should be the front runner and sometimes I think Rutgers should be. The only reason that I might give UCONN the slight edge over Rutgers(with Mattee) is simply because RU is woeful on offense and it's only going to be worse with the graduation of Cappie.

UCONN finally, since Sue Bird left, has an actual PG who is an AA type. Renee Montgomery and how she plays will determine the success of this team. Charde Houston has all the potential in the world, it's just getting her head right.

I do know however that I love the DePaul backcourt of Quigley and Rubino, St. John's is going to make some noise, and WVU went to the BET final without Bulger......so things should be interesting in Morgantown.

One program that really needs to get it back together is Notre Dame. They are in danger of falling of the WCBB map.

wnbafans10

PostPosted: 09/18/06 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Uconn has a pretty good team this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what Tina Charles has. Renee is awesome.

Atlanta: Please don't take Jamie Carey in the expansion draft!!!!
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/18/06 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has more talent and size in the post than Rutgers.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/18/06 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
UConn has more talent and size in the post than Rutgers.

That is a statement I thought I would never hear again. We haven't had a true post game in years. Hopefully Tina, Kaili, Kristen, and a healthy Brittany will make our dreams come true.

I can't even imagine how awesome our lineup would be next year if Gemelos hadn't pulled a Gemelos.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/18/06 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loves me some Blue Demon Basketball!

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

They'll be a real force in the Big East in 2007-08. You just wait. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
bullsky

PostPosted: 09/18/06 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

They'll be a real force in the Big East in 2007-08. You just wait. Wink

I know! I can't WAIT! Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm tellin' ya...Deidre Naughton is really, REALLY good! Very Happy

Mathies to LA 2013
bullsky

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Oh, I saw her play at New Trier! She's definately a great player!

Add in Natasha Williams and solid recruits and we will have success!

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am 100% UConn, but DePaul is my second favorite Big east team!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Is Williams eligible this season?

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/18/06 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Nope. She'll be eligible for the '07/'08 season and will have two years of eligibility left.

PostPosted: 09/18/06 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Nope. She'll be eligible for the '07/'08 season and will have two years of eligibility left.

I love DePaul too. Rubino and Quigley are both smart, tall guards....who can shoot the three, I love that. Isn't there another Quigley going to DePaul this year?

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/18/06 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I love DePaul too. Rubino and Quigley are both smart, tall guards....who can shoot the three, I love that. Isn't there another Quigley going to DePaul this year?

Yup. Samantha Quigley!

PostPosted: 09/18/06 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mel is going to do really good for UConn this season! Shes been working really, really hard.

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/19/06 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueBirdFan wrote:
I think Mel is going to do really good for UConn this season! Shes been working really, really hard.

Unless Mel has gotten faster and learned to release her shot quicker, she will always be the same player.

acusefan

PostPosted: 09/19/06 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a cuse fan(duh) so I don't have much experience rating good teams.

here is my list for the BE

1)uconn

2)rutgers
3)st johns
4)depaul
5)louisville/pitt/wv

UConn should be the best team by far. Rutgers has injury issues and Vaughn should come into her own but how is she going to deal with Hunter and Charles, especially if hunter is healthy. mel thomas is what she is take the good with the bad. Depaul will live and die by the three but they always seem to make more then they miss. I know WV will miss bulger but they also had a great recruiting class including a few very good juco kids so that should help lighten the losses.

the most important thing about the big east though is that syracuse will not finish last this year. Of course I don't know that for a fact but I hope not, but with the injury issues already popping up it could be a very long year.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/19/06 9:46 am    ::: Re: The Big East Reply Reply with quote

One program that really needs to get it back together is Notre Dame. They are in danger of falling of the WCBB map.[/quote]

Love ND but I must agree with you, they have done nothing to improve this team since their 01 Championship . That year they not only won it all but had the Coach and player of the year and yet it seems they want nothing more.

ND settled or should I say Coach McGraw settled for that one golden moment in time, a Championship and Coach of the Year.

I ask myself, is this all she wanted was ONE ???????? I believe McGraw has lost interest in the game. I understand at times there are let downs in life , one being the loss of her father and then an illness that sidelined her last year for a short time.

I however see it to be more than those things, she got her brass ring and now it's just not fun anymore for her.

I suggest she needs to take a long look at her Coaching and just what she wants out of it, if she has lost her passion for the game.............. Crying or Very sad then step aside.

It hurt ND and her coaching staff big time with the loss of Assistants Owens and McGuff. Owens now head coach at her Alma Mater NIU was the central factor in getting Ruth Riley to ND and her development there.

McGuff is now head coach at Xavier and has landed top recruit Amber Harris of Indianapolis.

McGraw has some big guns coming in this season in Ashley Barlow and Melissa Lechlitner, so it will be interesting to see if she can turn it around at ND.

My hope is she can and also that she can get back the drive that led ND and her to the top of the class in 01.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/19/06 9:46 am    ::: Re: The Big East Reply Reply with quote

One program that really needs to get it back together is Notre Dame. They are in danger of falling of the WCBB map.[/quote]

Love ND but I must agree with you, they have done nothing to improve this team since their 01 Championship . That year they not only won it all but had the Coach and player of the year and yet it seems they want nothing more.

ND settled or should I say Coach McGraw settled for that one golden moment in time, a Championship and Coach of the Year.

I ask myself, is this all she wanted was ONE ???????? I believe McGraw has lost interest in the game. I understand at times there are let downs in life , one being the loss of her father and then an illness that sidelined her last year for a short time.

I however see it to be more than those things, she got her brass ring and now it's just not fun anymore for her.

I suggest she needs to take a long look at her Coaching and just what she wants out of it, if she has lost her passion for the game.............. Crying or Very sad then step aside.

It hurt ND and her coaching staff big time with the loss of Assistants Owens and McGuff. Owens now head coach at her Alma Mater NIU was the central factor in getting Ruth Riley to ND and her development there.

McGuff is now head coach at Xavier and has landed top recruit Amber Harris of Indianapolis.

McGraw has some big guns coming in this season in Ashley Barlow and Melissa Lechlitner, so it will be interesting to see if she can turn it around at ND.

My hope is she can and also that she can get back the drive that led ND and her to the top of the class in 01.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/19/06 9:48 am    ::: Re: The Big East Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/19/06 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORRY FOR MULTIPLE POST, GLICH IN MY SYSTEM...... Rolling Eyes

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/19/06 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:
SORRY FOR MULTIPLE POST, GLICH IN MY SYSTEM...... Rolling Eyes

I think Muffett is one of the top 5 game coaches in WCBB. ND always seems to be in the hunt for top-25 kids, but never really gets them. I hope she rights the ship, because I like the Fighting Irish. All she needs is a couple top 10-15 kids and things will be fine, she is that good of a coach.

SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 09/19/06 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
SueBirdFan wrote:

Unless Mel has gotten faster and learned to release her shot quicker, she will always be the same player.

We'll see

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 09/19/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame is going to be screwed without Duffy unless they're adding a lot of incoming players. No one else on the court really seemed to care whether they won or lost by 50. They seemed bored, and there was zero post presence.

Losing LaVere doesn't help, either.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 09/19/06 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Notre Dame is going to be screwed without Duffy unless they're adding a lot of incoming players. No one else on the court really seemed to care whether they won or lost by 50. They seemed bored, and there was zero post presence.

Losing LaVere doesn't help, either.

D'Amico was suppose to be the next coming of Riley, but hell she has not panned out in every aspect of the game.

I'm hoping for a big change in her this season or I shall SCREAM .

As for the play and attitude of the ND players, well I say tthey feed off the attitude of their Coach.

McGraw lacked fire last season and she better come with a new attitude this season or, hell she'll make me SCREAM as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: