RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stacey Stephens sighting...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:23 pm    ::: Stacey Stephens sighting... Reply Reply with quote

Q---What is Stacey doing to prepare for the WNBA training camp with the Libs???

A---Watching volleyball.

I saw Stacey in Kansas City at volleyball nationals this weekend. I recognized her IMMEDIATELY. She was watching Texas. I tapped her on the shoulder and told her good luck with the Liberty. She said "Oh, thanks" and sounded very shocked I knew who she was and that I had any idea about her being in the Liberty training camp.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How'd volleyball go? Did you get to play? A high school friend plays for Syracuse.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:47 pm    ::: Re: Stacey Stephens sighting... Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Q---What is Stacey doing to prepare for the WNBA training camp with the Libs???

A---Watching volleyball.

Well she did play in the NWBL, guess now she's just waiting for TC to open.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/18/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for asking ballwinner,

... played some, DSed, couldn't serve, gotta get an MRI on the shoulder Sad

Regardless, had a fabulous weekend. We lost a tiebreaker to get into the Gold Division, which would have been an accomplishment for our young team who had to battle through the loss of a starter in the tournament previous to nationals (me). We had a terrific final match against Dayton. You may remember Katie Neff, played volley and basketball for Cor Jesu, her brother (6'9 no inflation) is one of the middles for their team. They are a very tall, veteran, well rounded team and we pushed them to the brink, losing 15-13 in the third. I played coach for that match and showed my stuff. I had one of our middles make some pretty aggressive adjustments that turned the tide in our favor. Alas, we were one tough server, and one reliable hitter away from being able to steal the match. Pretty much the story of the whole weekend - as I watched from the sidelines, again Sad

Regardless, I have finally come to grasp the meaning of an off-season, time for idiot injured people like myself to heal! Looking to be back in full force and be a true leader both emotionally and physically next year. I was just coming into my own and had it ripped away from me. I feel like Adrienne Johnson!

Couple other tidbits...

Steve Austin, a Vianney alum, was a starting middle (6'9) for the D-1 champs Marquette.

The Final Four was all Midwest teams, and in my MIVA conference, which further dispells the thoughts of West Coast Volleyball dominance. It's an exciting era for Men's Volleyball.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Alepp...did you go to the Junior Olympics??? My sister went to several back a few years...we went to Austin, Orlando, Denver, New Orleans, went to Nike Festival in Sacto too.

Alepp03 wrote:
Thanks for asking ballwinner,

... played some, DSed, couldn't serve, gotta get an MRI on the shoulder Sad

Regardless, had a fabulous weekend. We lost a tiebreaker to get into the Gold Division, which would have been an accomplishment for our young team who had to battle through the loss of a starter in the tournament previous to nationals (me). We had a terrific final match against Dayton. You may remember Katie Neff, played volley and basketball for Cor Jesu, her brother (6'9 no inflation) is one of the middles for their team. They are a very tall, veteran, well rounded team and we pushed them to the brink, losing 15-13 in the third. I played coach for that match and showed my stuff. I had one of our middles make some pretty aggressive adjustments that turned the tide in our favor. Alas, we were one tough server, and one reliable hitter away from being able to steal the match. Pretty much the story of the whole weekend - as I watched from the sidelines, again Sad

Regardless, I have finally come to grasp the meaning of an off-season, time for idiot injured people like myself to heal! Looking to be back in full force and be a true leader both emotionally and physically next year. I was just coming into my own and had it ripped away from me. I feel like Adrienne Johnson!

Couple other tidbits...

Steve Austin, a Vianney alum, was a starting middle (6'9) for the D-1 champs Marquette.

The Final Four was all Midwest teams, and in my MIVA conference, which further dispells the thoughts of West Coast Volleyball dominance. It's an exciting era for Men's Volleyball.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/18/05 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was right after your sister it sounds, New Orleans was my first. I went out to Phoenix twice, and to Louisville. Finished 3rd as a 16 year old. What an awesome experience...

PostPosted: 04/18/05 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What was the name of your club??? My sis went to Austin as a 10 y/o, won gold the next year in Orlando. 96 we didn't go to JO, we went to Davis, then in 97 went to Denver...last year in NO, she went with the 17/18 group...It is a pretty cool experience...we logged a LOT of hours inside those convention centers!!!

Alepp03 wrote:
I was right after your sister it sounds, New Orleans was my first. I went out to Phoenix twice, and to Louisville. Finished 3rd as a 16 year old. What an awesome experience...

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/18/05 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

convention centers are my second home... I'm a pro at hijacking internet from the administration desk!

I played for Missouri Thunder. Great club who is recently being overshadowed by St. Louis High Performance, very up and coming, great coaching staff, and great player development. I spent my final year with Hi-P. National Volleyball tournaments are an experience unparalleled, and I currently miss being in KC. Volleyball people are a very different group, and one that I am very fond of. Some of my favorite people are my opponents and I have been playing against some of them since I was 12.

PostPosted: 04/18/05 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hve to chec my JO t-shirts....I thin I recognize your club's name...my sis played for several teams, all from PR: Borinquen Coqui (until 15), Chicas de San Juan & Avoli Llaneras. We played St. Charles (I believe from Missouri). One of the girl's dad was from Puerto Rico and he came over to us and cheered us on when we weren't playing his daughter.

The networking & comaraderie at these places it's amazing!!!

I got High Performance confused with Sports Performance...those were the kick ass clubs from Chicago.

Alepp03 wrote:
convention centers are my second home... I'm a pro at hijacking internet from the administration desk!

I played for Missouri Thunder. Great club who is recently being overshadowed by St. Louis High Performance, very up and coming, great coaching staff, and great player development. I spent my final year with Hi-P. National Volleyball tournaments are an experience unparalleled, and I currently miss being in KC. Volleyball people are a very different group, and one that I am very fond of. Some of my favorite people are my opponents and I have been playing against some of them since I was 12.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/18/05 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri Thunder only had girls teams for a short time. More notable girls teams were Team St. Louis and St. Louis CYC. St. Charles also had a club, and that is essentially St. Louis.

Volleyball is a niche sport, which is essentially what stunts its growth, but at the same time, what makes it so amazing for those who are heavy into the sport. You get a sense of knowing everyone with always having an opportunity to meet more people. It feels so small, but it really is a large group of tremendous people with a lot of passion for the sport. Nationals is a 4 day period where you have an UNREAL amount of passion for one sport in one building with bragging rights on the line. It's the best sporting event I have ever been a part of.

PS -- I must temporarily feed the ego, I am undefeated against Coqui in my career! haha, however, Torrimar is another story...

PostPosted: 04/19/05 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, Torrimar SUCKED! LOL! Seriously, they were a group that broke out of Borinquen "Coqui" and formed their own. For a while Coqui was the powerhouse...until other clubs from PR started emerging.

I remember CYC...they were there EVERY year! I also remember those Munciana teams...they were tough too. That's who we beat for the gold in Orlando. Ironically their main girl (Linnette Moster) just finished playing pro volleyball this season in PR. She had a decent season too. The Hawaiian Rainbows were tough too!!

I'm so happy someone knows what the hell I'm talking about!! LOL!!

Alepp03 wrote:
Missouri Thunder only had girls teams for a short time. More notable girls teams were Team St. Louis and St. Louis CYC. St. Charles also had a club, and that is essentially St. Louis.

Volleyball is a niche sport, which is essentially what stunts its growth, but at the same time, what makes it so amazing for those who are heavy into the sport. You get a sense of knowing everyone with always having an opportunity to meet more people. It feels so small, but it really is a large group of tremendous people with a lot of passion for the sport. Nationals is a 4 day period where you have an UNREAL amount of passion for one sport in one building with bragging rights on the line. It's the best sporting event I have ever been a part of.

PS -- I must temporarily feed the ego, I am undefeated against Coqui in my career! haha, however, Torrimar is another story...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: