RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I think I need to rethink my prediction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallState1984

PostPosted: 09/13/06 9:32 pm    ::: I think I need to rethink my prediction Reply Reply with quote

I think Purdue is going to be just fine this season and deserves to be considered a contender. Yes, I still have concerns about depth, but I think the horse crap from last season has been exorcised from the team's collective head, which I was convinced would carry over into the upcoming campaign.

I admit my views on Sharon Versyp were colored from her cocky self single handedly bloodying my high school team and stealing what little ink the newspaper begrudgingly handed out to girl's sports from my homies. But that was over 25 years ago. Versyp still have the swagger, but it is pure confidence in both herself and her team. That positive swagger is the hall mark of someone from Michiana and is something I do not get to see down here in Southern Indiana. I have forgotten what it is like.

Versyp's presence filled the entire room Sunday and she made Apollo Flight Director Gene Krantz's attitude of Failure is NOT an Option her own. I cannot really pick out a specific moment or really, something tangible to make this image clear, but I can see a lot of victories this coming season which will come from pure will alone.

Coach made it quite clear that she understands it will take hard work to achieve results, but she is adamant that attitude and the mind is what will bring the most success to Purdue. She even admonished the Net that doing the wouldacouldashoulda game with her kids after a game is no longer going to be tolerated. I was shocked to hear that because I did not know that was even a problem. Apparently it was or Versyp would not have made it an issue.

Versyp also made it a point to speak to all attendees and seemed sincerely grateful for the large turnout. Although Curry was somewhat chipper her first season, the last two at Purdue left Curry aloof and distant.

The kids themselves seemed much more relaxed and positive, whereas they were just out of sorts throughout the entire second half of last season. One must take Erin Lawless and Natasha Bogdonova out of the equation because both would make a celebration out of getting a red gumball from the penny machine at Meijer. Both were very much "on" Sunday.

Sharon Versyp is absolutely the best thing to happen to Purdue's program in a long time. She will make Purdue a dangerous team once again. She will lead.

I am really excited again.

Capri

PostPosted: 09/14/06 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took Terry Kix's and Versyp's comments about fan conduct as their way of establishing the ground rules for fan/player interaction under the Versyp tenure. It didn't sound like a reaction to previous issues so much as being proactive about it.

What I took away was that they were going to make every effort to get the players and staff to truely meet and know the fans by getting them "out there." However, for this to work for everybody the fans bear some responsibility - don't pile on or be negative about a players performance after games or at other times and no touching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: