RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/17/05 3:16 am    ::: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And now we come to an enigma, No. 7 pick Kara Braxton for Detroit. She had a son in January, and someone actually asked her in the post-draft news conference if that made her more "mature" than some other players.

I thought, "You've got to be kidding." Look, let's be realistic. Having a child instead of playing your senior season is not a sign of "maturity." Braxton's tumultuous career at Georgia didn't suggest that trait, either.

That said, let's hope for the best for this young woman. She's a mom now, and there are certainly top players in the WNBA who also are mothers and will tell you that did make a big difference in how they learned to accept responsibility. It's a tough road to take -- and not one to be "recommended" -- but it's where Braxton is and she seems ready to make the best of it.

She appears genuinely grateful that she has this opportunity to make things right in terms of her basketball career. She's not in good shape now and was the first to admit that. But at 6-6 and with a lot of skills, she has the chance to fulfill the potential in the pros that she did not in college

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?id=2039022&num=0

Hence why I was hesitant to put Braxton in the #3 spot in my mock draft Shocked She should do fine though...

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/17/05 4:47 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Having a child instead of playing your senior season is not a sign of "maturity."

So is she implying that kara should of had a abortion?..

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/17/05 4:53 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Having a child instead of playing your senior season is not a sign of "maturity."

No doubt it is a troubling statement which has several implications... And that's one of them. Neutral Remember, just because a person's a WNBA fan, doesn't automatically mean they accept the main tenets of liberalism. And of course, tolerance is different from acceptance... (See Liberty Idea)

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/17/05 5:03 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
MSUstudent31 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

No doubt it is a troubling statement which has several implications... And that's one of them. Neutral Remember, just because a person's a WNBA fan, doesn't automatically mean they accept the main tenets of liberalism. And of course, tolerance is different from acceptance... (See Liberty Idea)

I guess thats true..but I think that her "piece" on kara was a little harsh..she called her a enigma for christ sakes..lol..Kara was just a troubled kid who made some mistakes in life and she paid for them..now its time to move on..http://www.detnews.com/2005/shock/0504/17/C09-152638.htm Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/05 6:45 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

An abortion is even less a sign of maturity than a baby.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Voepel is calling her out for getting pregnant in the first place instead of being more cautious with her behavior. That's the sense I got out of it.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:19 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:

Interesting interpretation. My interpretation is that having a child does not mean you're suddenly a mature and responsible person. Maybe Kara has matured... or maybe she hasn't. Wait and see I guess.
ripleydc

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I think Voepel is calling her out for getting pregnant in the first place instead of being more cautious with her behavior. That's the sense I got out of it.

Queenie's absolutely right. you're all reading too much into it.

SFO

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't focus on Voepel's ranting, read the Det News article and see what Kara said. This kid really appreciates the opportunity. Time will tell, but I believe her.

herrade

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:25 am    ::: Re: Mechelle Voepel Rips into Kara Braxton! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

oh really? you know this from experience, pilight?

you are all ready to jump on the anti-choice wagon on this one. i read voepel's comment as suggesting that she shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place.

get off the high and mighty trip and move on with your lives.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll take the "anti-choice" label rather than be pro-baby killing.

Quote:
i read voepel's comment as suggesting that she shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place.

Me too.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'll take the "anti-choice" label rather than be pro-baby killing.

i don't support killing babies either, but a fetus isn't a baby. a woman has a right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

regardless of where you stand on this issue, saying it is "immature" to decide to terminate a pregnancy rather than carry it to term is just ridiculous. unless you've gone through that decision yourself -- which i'm guessing you haven't -- you have no idea what it's like.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened is done. Get of the soapbox Voepel.
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

How old was Kara when she got pregant 20, 21, 22? She is a WOMAN she makes her own decision why is Voepel so bitter againest her? Maybe beause she has yet to find a man who would be happy to be her babys daddy. Mad I never liked Voepel and probably never will.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/17/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Spoken by someone who will never get pregnant and face such an agonizing and personal decision.

And how did Voepel's statement lead to that conclusion? Perhaps she was implying that its a little more mature to practice safe sex. And a little more mature to make the most out of one's athletic scholarship rather than squandering it.

Perhaps what she's really saying is that Kara Lawson (wasn't it Kara) might have come up with a leading question that role modeled better the choices for young women, many of whom are getting pregnant in high school because they think it is a 'mature' thing to do.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 04/17/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember, just because a person's a WNBA fan, doesn't automatically mean they accept the main tenets of liberalism

One minute you're saying, 'That's why I didn't put [Kara] as high as 3rd' and the next you're equating Voepel's comments about her to the tenets of liberalism?

Voepel is merely saying what teams' personnel directors and scouts have already discussed whether they are liberal, conservative, Catholic, atheist, or agnostic. Kara Braxton is a risk because she's made some poor decisions. She's worked hard for a second chance at the WNBA and that's to her credit. Voepel says that, too.

aml10

PostPosted: 04/17/05 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmm, i just read the article on ESPN and i didn't see the following parts:

"I thought, "You've got to be kidding." Look, let's be realistic. Having a child instead of playing your senior season is not a sign of "maturity." Braxton's tumultuous career at Georgia didn't suggest that trait, either.

That said, let's hope for the best for this young woman. She's a mom now"

Question

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/05 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like that's been edited out Exclamation

PostPosted: 04/17/05 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Maybe beause she has yet to find a man who would be happy to be her babys daddy. Mad

sinking to new lows, here.

PostPosted: 04/17/05 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
Maybe beause she has yet to find a man who would be happy to be her babys daddy. Mad

sinking to new lows, here.

Sorry it makes me mad that shes so quick to judge Kara. Like i said Kara's what 21 22? shes a grown woman it was her decision who is she to repremand her? Last time i checked Voepel was not Kara Braxtons mother.

Smoovie

PostPosted: 04/17/05 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so easy to judge a young women by her mistakes. I'm sure in the best interest of the people involved in her life for the sole purpose of basketball, an abortion would have been the mature thing to do.

Depending on who you talk to, an abortion is running away from your mistakes. I was always taught, running is a sign of fear or immaturity. Older woman have unplanned pregnancies all the time. Nobody calls them immature, for getting pregnant and having their baby.

A woman's choice should not be based on, how easy it's going to make someone else's life or their opinions. The only reason this is a issue, it's because her pregnancy inconvenienced someone else. Well, she's the only one who has to live with the choice she made, and maybe she couldn't live with the ideal of an abortion.

If you are in the business of women's basketball, you have to except that as part of the deal. You don't want to deal with pregnant players, recruit and draft boy.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
inky

PostPosted: 04/17/05 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am stunned that this boards reaction Voepel's comment, in which she implied it is generally not a good idea to get pregnant when you're an unmarried college student, disintegrated so rapidly into an argument on the morality of abortion.

C'mon conservatives, you're supposed to agree with Voepel that this is a sign of the declining moral fibre of our nation - you hate for unmarried women to children! This is your talking point!

What the hell's going on in this country?

MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/17/05 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW..I didnt mean to turn this thread into a debate about morals and politics..but I agree with keegan lets see what braxton does before we come down on her Sad

Smoovie

PostPosted: 04/17/05 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
I am stunned that this boards reaction Voepel's comment, in which she implied it is generally not a good idea to get pregnant when you're an unmarried college student, disintegrated so rapidly into an argument on the morality of abortion.

C'mon conservatives, you're supposed to agree with Voepel that this is a sign of the declining moral fibre of our nation - you hate for unmarried women to children! This is your talking point!

What the hell's going on in this country?

I don't care how she meant it. It came out as an attack on this young woman's character

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 04/17/05 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:

I don't care how she meant it. It came out as an attack on this young woman's character

AGREED!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: