RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Height inflation run amok

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/17/05 1:42 am    ::: Height inflation run amok Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/defense050416.html

Quote:
Blackmon, only a week and a half removed from helping lead the Lady Bears to a National Championship by scoring 22 points and pulling down seven rebounds against Michigan State in the Championship game, was named All-Big 12 First Team for the second straight season. But her height - listed at 6-2, but perhaps closer to 6-0 or 6-1 - worked against her in the Draft.

"That's a small post," said Donovan. "In the WNBA, you have to be pretty versatile to play at that height."

Height was also an issue for Wright, who was listed at 5-11 at Penn State but measured in at least than 5-9 at the WNBA's Pre-Draft Camp, held last weekend in Tarrytown, NY. Expected to be a top-ten pick, Wright slipped just enough to make her available for the Storm.

Nice article again from the Storm site.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/17/05 2:12 am    ::: Re: Height inflation run amok Reply Reply with quote

As I originally thought, Donovan was playing GM mind games by trying to get people to believe she was going to take Shyra Ely Razz

Blackmon's height doesn't bother me.... Wright's does... Shocked How are you supposed to be a good defender at 5'9" in the 3? Confused

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:32 am    ::: Re: Height inflation run amok Reply Reply with quote

Lieberman's article on McCarville said she's 6'4". They said the same thing on SportsCenter today.

That's ridiculous. I'm not sure she quite reaches 6'2".

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/17/05 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lieberman's article on McCarville said she's 6'4". They said the same thing on SportsCenter today.

That's ridiculous. I'm not sure she quite reaches 6'2".

I think she's around 6'2" also. BTW Kristen Mann really is 6'2", I believe.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/17/05 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many of the camp measurements were done in bare feet. For example, Kara Braxton is 6-4 barefoot...meaning she plays in shoes around 6-5 and 1/2.

Which measurements were done with Wright?

threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/17/05 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wright probably won't spend much time defending the 3, though. She'll be defending whoever is the better guard on the floor at the time, the point or the shooting guard. And even if she is only 5'8", Tully was only 5'7", and she was great on defense. And Betty and Sue aren't any taller than Wright, and she's a better defender than both of them combined. (not to hate on my girls or anything, but it's sort of the truth)

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
Tully was only 5'7"

Laughing

Try 5'4".

In one of the Seattle Times articles, I noticed Jayda was snarking about the listed heights. Betty is really 5'6".
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 04/17/05 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
Tully was only 5'7"
Laughing
Try 5'4".
In one of the Seattle Times articles, I noticed Jayda was snarking about the listed heights. Betty is really 5'6".

Wait until Candace Parker shows up, then we can talk about height compression, she's the tallest 6'3" you'll ever see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: