RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft Day Fashion Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:07 pm    ::: Draft Day Fashion Report Reply Reply with quote

Yep, it's time for your favorite Draft Day tradition...pilight's non-expert fashion report!

Not as much variety this year. Nobody tried the Little Black Dress like Christon did last year, and no leather like Lauren Jackson tried in 2001. Lots of dark suits, though.

Janel McCarville had a dark suit with an off-white shimmery blouse. She looked a little rumpled, but OK. Kara Lawson made a remark about her hair. I didn't think her 'do was particularly flattering to her, but it wasn't bad enough to elicit Lawson's questioning.

Tan White had a black suit with a purple blouse. She's a pretty girl. Her hair was great, with the curls and the pull back.

Sandora Irvin had a black jacketed dress. Would have been great if the draft were before Easter. She went with a straight haired look, which was nice if a little boring.

Kendra Wecker was the first to go casual, with a flowered top and light colored pants. Typically draftees are either more formal or more business-like, so she seemed somewhat out of step.

Sancho Lyttle did the black suit, with a lavender blouse. Instantly forgettable.

Temeka Johnson was perfect in a pastel suit. She looked exactly like the young, up-and-coming female executives I see around my office every day. Colorful without being gaudy and conservative without being drab. She wins the best dressed award.

Kara Braxton did tweed and black. She seemed a little awkward on the heels, I guess when you're 6'6 you don't bother with that too often.

Katie Feenstra did the black suit with a pink blouse. *Yawn*

Kristen Haynie was too casual, with an ill-fitting striped shirt and khakis. She also went without her trademark braids, but didn't do anything but let her hair fly natural. She'll never make diva.

Kristen Mann went with a white shirt and black pants. A little casual, but she pulled it off. Her mascara was the exact same color as her eyes, which was a little disconcerting.

Dionnah Jackson was stunning in a pink dress. A definite head turner. However, if she's going to have her hair back she needs to shorten up the sideburns.

As for the later rounds...

Shyra Ely looked great in yellow and green with a great big scarf. She caught a perfect balance between the casual and the formal and managed to remember that it's spring. Even Lawson remarked on how effective her ensemble was.

Roneeka Hodges had a white suit with a yellow shirt. Somewhat similar to what Temeka Jackson had, but brighter and more eye catching.

Jacqueline Batteast also went the casual route with a striped shirt similar to Haynie's, except better fitting, and black pants.

Steffanie Blackmon had a light blue suit with a black blouse, but you probably didn't notice because of the extra-long wig she was wearing. People that hadn't seen her on the court with her real hair might have believed all that was natural, the kind of people that sit around through the third round of the WNBA draft were probably wondering if she was using Miracle-Gro as shampoo.

That's my take on the draft day couture. What's yours?

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:17 pm    ::: Re: Draft Day Fashion Report Reply Reply with quote

Haynie's shirt looked fine... I believe that's how it's supposed to fit. Shocked

When Braxton stood up for the first time, I thought wow, she's really out of shape Exclamation But then she shuttled sideways and you could see that it was just the tweed jacket bulging out Razz

Donna was nice to wear that brown outfit, something that doesn't stand out, so that the players are more noticeable in their jersey photo. Idea

boilerjay

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Dionnah Jackson looked like she was ready to go to prom.

A very pretty girl, but the WNBA Draft doesn't require a formal gown. Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Shyra Ely looked great in yellow and green with a great big scarf

Joan and Melissa would have ripped Ely apart.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
I thought Dionnah Jackson looked like she was ready to go to prom.

A very pretty girl, but the WNBA Draft doesn't require a formal gown. Laughing

Probably got fashion advice from former NBA player Detlef Schrempf. He wore a tuxedo to Draft Day.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/05 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, but this isn't a red carpet event. They would have ripped all the girls.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Shyra Ely looked great in yellow and green with a great big scarf

Joan and Melissa would have ripped Ely apart.

i heard that! she looked hideous. if she spent an inordinate amount of time looking for those shoes to go with that hideous ensemb' (and i use the term loosely), she needs to re-prioritize. and haynie shoulda been shot. this was (supposed to have been) one of the most important days of her career. she looked like she threw on whatever pants and shirt were nearby to answer the door and take the box from the ups man.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amen, Sebibb. And what was up with that tie? Is she Avril Lavigne?

sambista

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hahahahahahahahaha! why don't family and friends save these poor women from themselves?

i also thought it was pretty bold of lawson to grill mccarville about her hair. she was delicate but deliberate (a great future with "access hollywood"). perhaps not the ideal place to put her on the spot, but i gotta give her creds for asking the burning question.

PostPosted: 04/16/05 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Amen, Sebibb. And what was up with that tie? Is she Avril Lavigne?

It almost looked like she just escaped from being strangled!

I finally looked at Getty Images:

Sandora Irvin - Classy
Kara w/ the kid - adorable "accessory"
Dionnah Jackson - LOVE the dress!
Jackie Batteast - the blouse is cool, sort of dressy - sort of casual

Sass

PostPosted: 04/17/05 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're great ballers, and you can't be good at everything. They just need a little queer eye for the basketball player. Cool

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/17/05 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
They're great ballers, and you can't be good at everything. They just need a little queer eye for the basketball player. 8)

I've often thought it would be fun to have a group of fans do a make - over w/ a player.

herrade

PostPosted: 04/17/05 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

i heard that! she looked hideous. if she spent an inordinate amount of time looking for those shoes to go with that hideous ensemb' (and i use the term loosely), she needs to re-prioritize.

the girl gets attacked because she tries to wear a little color? i thought she did a decent job - the scarf was tied a little bizarrely, but i like what she was trying to do. plus, i'm very into scarves this spring. irvin's scarf should have been around her neck, not her waist. with all that black, she could have used something up top to break it up. why are people so afraid of color?

also, dionnah jackson was NOT in formal attire. she was wearing a fun, springy dress. it was nice.

for best all around, i would pick tan white. she just looked good from head to toe, even though i thought the suit was boring. second would be blackmon. she also looked good head to toe, and i appreciated the color.

braxton, ely and d. jackson all showed personality with their outfits, rather than a standard suit ensemble. they deserve credit for that.

anyone who wore a striped shirt and pants or skirt loses -- ie, haynie, betteast

also, mann is beautiful, but she looked like a waitress in a white shirt in black pants.

feenstra is too fair to wear all that black, plus, the suit jacket was cut in an unflattering way given her height.

wecker looked even more casual than haynie, imho. a strappy blouse with khakis is beach wear. plus, the top was 2 sizes too small.

Last edited by herrade on 04/17/05 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/17/05 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blackmon's wig looked terrible.
Sass

PostPosted: 04/17/05 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Sass wrote:
They're great ballers, and you can't be good at everything. They just need a little queer eye for the basketball player. Cool

I've often thought it would be fun to have a group of fans do a make - over w/ a player.

Great idea! I know the Storm most up close and personal, so I would start with Lauren Jackson. She needs hair combing lessons.....maybe she could ask her buddy Sue Bird how she gets that ponytail so tight. Most of all, Lauren Needs to be beaten if she tries to go to anymore thrift stores and buy clothes. No more raggedy ass pants, knee-length ratty pink sweaters, or the like. Rolling Eyes She's got the money for somethin better.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/17/05 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awww, Sass, I think Lauren is adorable like that! It makes her so much more approachable and down to earth.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/17/05 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like a little color, but you have to be picky about the occasion.
Ely deserves the same grade for her fashion sense as FFO deserves for their draft picks.
Yellow pumps and a Popeye tie? No, no, no...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: