RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breakdown Motown

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smenko

PostPosted: 08/31/06 9:59 am    ::: Breakdown Motown Reply Reply with quote

It's a sad day today. Being at the game and feeling the energy and watching the Monarch's play with "mucho gusto," that is required for a Finals game, and the Shock throw in the towel early leaves me feeling disappointed. Then, this morning's papers telling me some of the behind the scenes squabbling and not so behind the scenes fractures that were going on between coaches and players--I'm left wondering--what happened to my team?

The media circus that took over the Palace was an event in and of itself. I was upset that the Palace did all the same stupid stuff they always do during regular season games. It ain't anything special. It was nice that they provided a half time show for once that wasn't a local dance team. They even had a flying dunk team during a time out. They don't throw T-Shirts anymore or mini-basketballs.

I'm working up the courage to watch the game on my DVR. I'm not sure that I want to revisit it.

Can I just say that when I looked over the ref's when they took their warm-up jackets off and saw #39--I knew that the Shock were not going to win the game right then and there. I'm certainly not laying the loss on the shoulders of the refs, the Shock didn't show up last night. I blame part of that absence on the fact that very early in the game the Shock didn't get the calls and it affected their game plan. *sigh*

I pray it all gets sorted out before Friday evening.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Sun fans' nightmare Smenko...it's not a pleasant feeling at all, not having your team show up in a crucial game, and I wish you didn't have to deal with it.

I think your girls will come back and win on Friday. Don't get down yet.

smenko

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks dts, you're right, this is probably exactly how all of you Sun fans felt after the Shock whipped your team. Not a great feeling for sure. I'm looking forward for when the Shock show up Friday with revenge on their minds.

SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Thanks dts, you're right, this is probably exactly how all of you Sun fans felt after the Shock whipped your team. Not a great feeling for sure. I'm looking forward for when the Shock show up Friday with revenge on their minds.

Very Happy

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
Jerrybear

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The officiating was horrible, but then again the Shock did not exactly do a lot to help themselves last night.

Too many turnovers, too many missed shots, and the defense was horrible. Every time the Shock looked like they might make a game of it with some scoring, the defense would break down and let Sacto boost the lead back up again.

And I think the Shock got outrebounded, or at least they were getting outrebounded for most of the game.

All in all, this was another case of Shock inconsistency. They have gotten somewhat better this season as compared to 2004 and 2005, as evidenced by the better regular season record and two playoff round wins. But they still have a maddening tendency to just not show up for games sometimes.

We will see what we will see. Tomorrow is basically a must win, they cannot go to Sacto down 0-2. Will the real Detroit Shock please stand up and play some basketball???

suemar

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Welcome to Sun fans' nightmare Smenko...it's not a pleasant feeling at all, not having your team show up in a crucial game, and I wish you didn't have to deal with it.

I think your girls will come back and win on Friday. Don't get down yet.

Hmmm..sounds alot like my dismay at the Styx not playing when they needed to play. Its so frustrating. Is there a way a team can be TOO LOOSE?? I seem to recall a bad loss by the shock before when they were goofing prior to gametime. I was very disappointed not to see both teams play to their abilities and really put on a show for the finals. Maybe next game. Course I also thought, gee, if only the Styx would have....! So much for wishing.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't remember any Connecticut players acting like petulant high school girls, however. I hope Detroit's answer is to play with character tomorrow night, and not take the brass knuckles approach.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/31/06 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
I hope Detroit's answer is to play with character tomorrow night, and not take the brass knuckles approach.

YOU TALKIN' TO ME??? YOU TALKIN' TO ME???

NK

PostPosted: 08/31/06 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
I don't remember any Connecticut players acting like petulant high school girls, however. I hope Detroit's answer is to play with character tomorrow night, and not take the brass knuckles approach.

I'm not sure even that would help.

I took the Monarchs in four, now I'm wondering where Detroit is even going to get that one win. They are clearly overmatched here.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel ya, smenko, cause the Storm didn't show up for game three against LA, either.

I'm surprised to hear of Shock squabbles. Can you give any details on that?

Come to think of it, maybe I'm not surprised, though. I can't remember what player it was, but Bill took someone out in the first half and as she sat down, he said something to her. She started yelling at him and the camera cut away. I was thinking whoa, talk to your coach like that?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
smenko

PostPosted: 09/01/06 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I understand about the relationship that Laimbeer has with the players it is based on respect. They understand his sarcastic way of speaking and prefer it. He kids around with them a lot, but they understand he's the boss.

On a side note, my seatmates at the game on Wednesday evening were arguing about whether Cash should still be the captain or should it go to Smith? It was an interesting concept. Hmmmm...

bahanee

PostPosted: 09/01/06 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was actually shocked at how childish some players seemed.
ITS THE FINALs. I hope they come back on friday and come to win.

It takes more than skill to play for the DETROIT SHOCK, it takes attitude and heart...
shock6666

PostPosted: 09/01/06 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
From what I understand about the relationship that Laimbeer has with the players it is based on respect. They understand his sarcastic way of speaking and prefer it. He kids around with them a lot, but they understand he's the boss.

On a side note, my seatmates at the game on Wednesday evening were arguing about whether Cash should still be the captain or should it go to Smith? It was an interesting concept. Hmmmm...

Funny you mention that. I've been wondering that ever since Katie came to town. It's interesting for a variety of reasons.....it sure seems like the team looks to Katie more than anyone else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: