RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Downsides of Mic'd Up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:25 am    ::: The Downsides of Mic'd Up Reply Reply with quote

"Upon further review".......

Without Bill and Whiz being mic'd up:

1. The "Cheryl Ford riff" never would have been broadcast Shocked
2. Bill's whining wouldn't have been heard, especially that silly "they're talking about it on TV right now" comment Rolling Eyes
3. The biggest thing I object to: Maybe, just maybe, the TV announcers would CALL THE GAME instead of constantly responding to comments made by the coaches! I think it's taken announcing to a new low. Confused
4. We'd never learn that other than Yo and DeMya Whiz, doesn't know the first names of any of his players Wink

I like when the refs are mic'd up, but that's it.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's clear that Evil Bill plays for the TV audience when he's miked.

Most people hate poetry
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most teams have nicknames, and I think the guys grow up calling each other by their last names...that's what I remember with my brothers, anyway.

That comment about knowing player's names reminds me of the story of how Van called Mistie Williams "Mitzi" during training camp...and the players just picked up on it.

I bet you could call out Mitzi and Mistie might turn around and look at you...laughing all the way.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont like the mic. There are things between a coach and a player that not everyone needs to know. After last nights Cash, Smith and Ford head butting with BL I thought I was listening to National Inquire. the mics picked up a couple fine examples of how a team can just impload on itself. I almost thought kS was going to tell FU once!

PostPosted: 08/31/06 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to go to the game, but had to take an exam, and it was the last day to take it.

Could someone fill me in on what was said ? Btwn Shock players/coach.

My response to the topic is, I like when everyone is mic'd during the All-Star game, but regular games...I only like it when "teamy' teams are mic'd, otherwise it's too much of a distraction because it makes you think of nonbasketball/on-court related things. Too titillating. I start to feel the same as I do when I watch All My Children.

SueBirdFan

PostPosted: 08/31/06 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

akronborn wrote:

My response to the topic is, I like when everyone is mic'd during the All-Star game, but regular games...I only like it when "teamy' teams are mic'd, otherwise it's too much of a distraction because it makes you think of nonbasketball/on-court related things. Too titillating. I start to feel the same as I do when I watch All My Children.

I agree

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/31/06 11:32 am    ::: Re: The Downsides of Mic'd Up Reply Reply with quote

I was watching the game in a sports bar down here in Raleigh so, while I didn't hear Bill's comments, I sure could read the body language...

Couple of responses, tho:

2. Bill's whining wouldn't have been heard, especially that silly "they're talking about it on TV right now" comment Rolling Eyes

That's the same stuff he used at the beginning of the season:
http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/hw/wbca/coachesofficials.html

Watching a nationally televised game between the WNBA’s Connecticut Sun and Detroit Shock, the Shock were making a furious comeback. On an inbound play, Detroit center Ruth Riley was called for a foul – probably her fourth, maybe her fifth. Immediately Detroit head coach Bill Laimbeer, all 6’11”, 260 pounds of him, loomed over official Lisa Mattingly (who’s got to be 5’8” or so on a good day), saying “Oh, that’s a terrible call. A terrible call! And millions of people are watching on television and seeing what a bad call that is. That’s a horrible call,” he continued, “and it’s all out there on national T.V. for everyone to see."

Never mind the fact that the replay clearly showed the television audience the correct call was made, it was obvious he was using his physical size, his recognition of the media exposure (both coaches were miced), and the pressure of a close game, (imagine if it had been at Detroit!) to try and influence how the game was being called -– though it is hard to imagine how that might work on such an experienced official as Mattingly

3. The biggest thing I object to: Maybe, just maybe, the TV announcers would CALL THE GAME instead of constantly responding to comments made by the coaches! I think it's taken announcing to a new low. Confused [/quote]

I actually got to talk to a national announcer that most people don't like about the mics on coaches. She doesn't like it at all (it's a Donna thing, apparently) just because it forces the announcers to call the coaches, not the game... things run over each other, the truck and producer run the show, and suddenly it becomes all about the coaches not the game on the court....

PostPosted: 08/31/06 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had my fill of Bill's BS somewhere late in the second quarter.

I simply changed the channel. Found other things to do later on.

I'll do the same on Friday if Bill starts dominating the experience with his whining again.

Worst idea the league has come up with in a long time.

The entire game has become the trials and troubles of Big Bill.

Bill is a jerk and there is no reason to let him ruin the broadcasts like that.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The mic on both BL and Katie was way too much. Especially the yelling exchange between the tow. If Katie had not been on the floor it looked like she wanted to deck him. Never knew katie was that fiesty. I think the mic actually distrupts gameflow for me. Im trying to listen to announcers, coaches, players and refs and it takes away from game enjoyment.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

absolutely. and i found it insulting. who couldn't see through that crap?!

PostPosted: 08/31/06 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
pilight wrote:

Now considering that, what was the point of the Ford fiasco? Was he trying to embarass her? Embarass himself to take the pressure off? Try to make himself sympathetic?

I don't know what he hoped to accomplish with saying that on mic.

amaha05

PostPosted: 08/31/06 4:04 pm    ::: Re: The Downsides of Mic'd Up Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
"Upon further review".......

Without Bill and Whiz being mic'd up:

1. The "Cheryl Ford riff" never would have been broadcast Shocked
3. The biggest thing I object to: Maybe, just maybe, the TV announcers would CALL THE GAME instead of constantly responding to comments made by the coaches! I think it's taken announcing to a new low. Confused
4. We'd never learn that other than Yo and DeMya Whiz, doesn't know the first names of any of his players Wink

I like when the refs are mic'd up, but that's it.

Funny!

I'd rather be trapped in someone else's dutch oven than deal with the "breath of fresh air" Gavin Newsom would bring to Sacramento.
That's change NO-ONE can believe in.
timber

PostPosted: 08/31/06 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game wasn't so bad on mute.

Bill did look hilariously ridiculous with his incredulous looks and demonstrative movements while Rick James was blasting in the background though....so maybe that's why the camera's need to keep focusing on him wasn't as unenjoyable for me as it was everyone else.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Laimbeer gives a rat's rear how he comes across on TV. Some of that stuff made me uncomfortable, but I just want to point out that I think we may be taking it a little bit more seriously than is warranted. That's their team dynamic. Say what you feel like. I don't think anybody on that team cares so much as we do, and I think they forget the arguments quickly. That's the impression I've gotten this season.

Laimbeer probably is just trying to motivate. When the team fails it comes across as whiny, abusive, or whatever. But when it works, he's an effective manipulator.

Samaria

PostPosted: 08/31/06 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiChi wrote:
I don't think Laimbeer gives a rat's rear how he comes across on TV. Some of that stuff made me uncomfortable, but I just want to point out that I think we may be taking it a little bit more seriously than is warranted. That's their team dynamic. Say what you feel like. I don't think anybody on that team cares so much as we do, and I think they forget the arguments quickly. That's the impression I've gotten this season.

Laimbeer probably is just trying to motivate. When the team fails it comes across as whiny, abusive, or whatever. But when it works, he's an effective manipulator.

I hear ya.

PostPosted: 08/31/06 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
The game wasn't so bad on mute.

Bill did look hilariously ridiculous with his incredulous looks and demonstrative movements while Rick James was blasting in the background though....so maybe that's why the camera's need to keep focusing on him wasn't as unenjoyable for me as it was everyone else.

This is where Mo'Nique needs to step in and break it down for Laimbeer.

Sometimes you just need it to close the sentence out. Shut the fuck up...BITCH.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 08/31/06 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003, I removed your avatar, it was a hotlink and it was producing a failure message that was too big.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 08/31/06 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
pilight wrote:

Fair enough. I like the mics on the refs, though. And I've never minded the mic on coach Whiz: everything he says is relevant to the game, and none of it is insulting. Why exactly do we think that he doesn't know his players' full names?

If the finals were Connecticut-Sacramento, or Connecticut-Seattle, we might all be enjoying the coaching tips the mics provide.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/31/06 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Why exactly do we think that he doesn't know his players' full names?

If the finals were Connecticut-Sacramento, or Connecticut-Seattle, we might all be enjoying the coaching tips the mics provide.

Whiz used the last name of just about everybody else except Yo and Demya. Just a little joke.

They'd bleep out too much of Mike to get anything out of it!

Eireann

PostPosted: 08/31/06 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Whiz used the last name of just about everybody else except Yo and Demya. Just a little joke.

On my rowing team, we probably call almost anyone by last names. To the point where I feel weird using first names in a context where it's necessary with some people.

psheehy

PostPosted: 08/31/06 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like hearing SFO on mic. It adds an extra dynamic of fun to the game. It is clear that he knows that he is mic'd and he entertains. This is a game folks. We love it, we care, but in the end, it is supposed to be fun for us and BL is aware of that.

Of course, I think +/- stats are really cool, too, so what the heck do I know?

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
Sass

PostPosted: 08/31/06 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like timber, I also watched the game on mute, soundtrack courtesy of my iPod. I enjoyed it better that way.

I don't like mics on anyone, period. Especially those lame excuses for WNBA officials.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
bahanee

PostPosted: 09/01/06 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i actually like the mics, kind of nice to know wats going on in the huddle, wat the players and coaches are saying. as for the KS and BL exchange i think KS showed a lot of restraint Very Happy

It takes more than skill to play for the DETROIT SHOCK, it takes attitude and heart...
ripleydc

PostPosted: 09/01/06 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

psheehy wrote:
I like hearing SFO on mic. It adds an extra dynamic of fun to the game. It is clear that he knows that he is mic'd and he entertains.

I like mic, too.

Professional Sports = Entertainment

I find the coach, player and ref live comments more entertaining than listening to the commentators tell us one more time that Cheryl Ford is Karl Malone's daughter, Kara Lawson played Pee Wee football and Yo repossessed cars. Confused

psheehy

PostPosted: 09/01/06 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I find the coach, player and ref live comments more entertaining than listening to the commentators tell us one more time that Cheryl Ford is Karl Malone's daughter, Kara Lawson played Pee Wee football and Yo repossessed cars. Confused

Oh my gosh, I had it all wrong!

I thought Cheryl Ford repossessed Karl Malone's car while Kara Lawson was playing football with Shannon Johnson who was Yo's daughter!

Thanks for clearing things up!

<edited to get rid of the extra johnsons..hmm...did that really come out right?>

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.

Last edited by psheehy on 09/01/06 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: